Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disaster (nearly) today with BlackRapid

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 20, 2014 22:01 |  #31

I'm a bit confused. Did the body release from the Blackrapid or did it release from the lens? It sounded like you had the FastenR connected to the tripod mount of the lens. Or did both the camera and lens still mounted fall off the Blackrapid?

I use a Yeti Blackrapid. I love that thing because it's convertible from a one camera sling to a two camera sling. I haven't had a problem yet. On occasion, I might forget to screw the carbiner lock. Maybe that's what you forgot, too?

By the way, the fact that Blackrapid sells a tether doesn't mean they acknowledge a fault in their design. They could also be acknowledge human error and have provided a failsafe. I might consider it myself.

Must have happened around the same time wife and I drove by UMass Boston to see what the snowfall coverage was like. Did you get to take any photos before the incident?

IMAGE: http://www.nathantpham.com/Personal/Us/UMass-Boston/i-wRxjq9s/1/L/IMG_0200-L.jpg

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links
Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 21, 2014 02:42 |  #32

Nathan wrote in post #16705465 (external link)
I'm a bit confused. Did the body release from the Blackrapid or did it release from the lens? It sounded like you had the FastenR connected to the tripod mount of the lens. Or did both the camera and lens still mounted fall off the Blackrapid?

I use a Yeti Blackrapid. I love that thing because it's convertible from a one camera sling to a two camera sling. I haven't had a problem yet. On occasion, I might forget to screw the carbiner lock. Maybe that's what you forgot, too?

By the way, the fact that Blackrapid sells a tether doesn't mean they acknowledge a fault in their design. They could also be acknowledge human error and have provided a failsafe. I might consider it myself.

Must have happened around the same time wife and I drove by UMass Boston to see what the snowfall coverage was like. Did you get to take any photos before the incident?

QUOTED IMAGE

Hi Nathan, I am not the original poster but I have been a victim of this "issue".

In my case the Black Rapid strap did not fail. However, what did fail, IMHO, is the Black Rapid concept.

It is advertised for use in the way that myself and many others have been using it and that is attached to either the camera or to the lens mount depending on which is the heavier.

In the absence of additional information and wisdom from the once bitten fraternity I, like many others, attached the strap to the 70-200 f2.8 lens collar so that when it hung down it would be just a simple matter of gripping the camera in one natural movement and bringing up to your eye to shoot.

At no point in any promo material from Black Rapid did I see any mention of warnings about using this arrangement with a Canon & Heavy lens arrangement. Or any suggestions about either turning the camera in the collar or using an expensive add on tether.

If, as you say, "the fact that Blackrapid sells a tether doesn't mean they acknowledge a fault in their design" is true but that they have considered that it could happen that they should point this out in their ad and promo material?

The great thing about us airing these issues on a forum like this is that we help the unwary to be more prepared than we were so that they can buy the over priced tether or choose an alternative solution.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 21, 2014 08:16 |  #33

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to defend BlackRapid. I'm just identifying a potential flaw in someone's reasoning. However, he might still be right and BlackRapid does recognize a flaw in their design but has, instead of drawing direct attention to it, created another expensive product to fix it.

They might not be expected to point out a potential user error in their ad and promo material, but perhaps an advisory note included in an instruction manual would be helpful.

But again, I'm still unclear about the arrangement that created this situation. Was the camera attached to the lens when it fell or did the camera "twist" off the lens with the lens still attached to the BlackRapid?

• It does sound to me like the camera was somehow released from the mount. Is that a BlackRapid issue or a Canon issue?
  • If it's a BlackRapid issue, I'd think about why it happens. I have not experienced accidentally hitting the mount release button, so I can't imagine how it can occur.
  • Now that I think about it. The tether is likely to reinforce a camera body or lens in case the caribiner fails... not necessarily in case the mount is dislodged.

I appreciate the dialogue about this, because it could save my gear afterall if I'm aware of the potential issues and can avoid them myself. I've owned a BlackRapid Sport (both 1 and 2) and now the Yeti. I like their system. I like their FastenRs and wish that Holdfast deployed something similar (I also have the Holdfast moneymaker which uses the screw in mount pictured above by trg).

This thread could convince me to tether my camera body to the BlackRapid - however, I do take the camera on and off the strap at times. I've formed a haabit of checking the caribiner often.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,728 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 21, 2014 08:22 |  #34

The camera twisted off the lens with the lens still attached to the BR.

It's not the fault of the BR IMHO. And I'm not one to defend these companies. I had a Cotton Carrier come off my camera but luckily I was hiking and my camera fell into a pile of leaves and suffered no damage.

Canon should make a failsafe method of pressing the lens release switch. It should take the press of another button along with that to enable release. It's all too easy for it to happen otherwise.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,728 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 21, 2014 08:22 |  #35

CanonCameraFan wrote in post #16705030 (external link)
I sense an opportunity for somebody to invent a hi bond stick on "Canon Button Surround". Have you gotten your "CBS"? :)

It's on Kickstarter. Someone must have stolen your idea. ;-)a

NManuel01
754 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Feb 21, 2014 14:10 |  #36

Is it really? Do you have a link?

6D, 70-200 MKii F2.8, Tamron 24-70mm, Canon 40mm
Eos M, 18-55mm, 20mm
Alienbee 800, Canon 430exii, Canon 90ex

MsKutispwet
118 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 22, 2014 00:31 |  #37

- the OP's unfortunate event should be a real eye-opener to us using BR on a 70-200 lens (or any lens that has a tripod mount), we all should learn from it
- Canon and other camera makers encourage their customers to use the neck strap that comes with their product making the probability of a lens button release redesign to almost zero.
- Black Rapid may have foreseen such/similar incident that's why they offer the Tether-Kit BUT will never admit it as a design flaw. besides, it is a multi-purpose kit.
- The Carry Speed is better in this regard, The CS-Pro is designed to attach the sling on the lens' tripod mount while an additional "tether" holds the camera.

just my 2cents

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 22, 2014 14:51 |  #38

Some of you are confusing "design flaw" with "consequence of use". Evaluate your equipment, I for one have posted in here about safety tethers. A person carrying a 70-200, should have the BR mounted on the tripod mount, and a safety tether to the body of the camera. It would also help to ensure that the lens is firmly secured into the camera, that the BR screw is firmly secured, etc before you go about your business.

Stop blaming the equipment.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

jtmiv
349 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 22, 2014 15:12 |  #39

ten31 wrote in post #16709210 (external link)
Some of you are confusing "design flaw" with "consequence of use". Evaluate your equipment, I for one have posted in here about safety tethers. A person carrying a 70-200, should have the BR mounted on the tripod mount, and a safety tether to the body of the camera. It would also help to ensure that the lens is firmly secured into the camera, that the BR screw is firmly secured, etc before you go about your business.

Stop blaming the equipment.

Dear ten,

One could also ask you to not excuse the equipment, but that would run counter to the accepted wisdom of paying more and getting less that seems to be the prevailing wisdom here and elsewhere?

I'll stick with my cheapo OP/TECH. For 1/3rd the price it needs no accessories to secure a camera and lens at two points.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

EOS Elan, EOS7NE, EOS 40D, EOS1DMK2, Canon 15-85 IS EF-S, Canon 28-80 USM, Canon 28-105f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-210f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-300f4.5/5.6 IS USM, Tamron 19-35f3.5/4.5, Tokina 80-400 ATX 11, Sigma 150-500 OS HSM, Promaster 7500DX, Benro A3580F

orionz06
231 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 22, 2014 16:02 |  #40

I have no pics but when I use the BR attached to the body I have the camera attached as well with paracord. Not the fanciest but it would have stopped this.

5D Mark IV~7D+BG-E7/400D~Canon 50mm f/1.8 II~EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro~EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II~EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II~EF 50mm f/1.4 USM~Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL~Yongnuo YN-E3-RT~Canon 600EX-RT

pictureman62
439 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 22, 2014 22:23 |  #41

Good grief. That's some scary stuff. I have two BR straps use them at same time w/ camera on each hip. Now I'm paranoid geez.

Capture today, for everyone to enjoy tomorrow!:D
5D mkiii / 6D / 7D / (4) 600ex-rt, / Canon 135 F2 L /Canon 200 2.8L / Canon 24-105 4L / Canon 24-70 2.8 L / Canon 70-200 4 L / Canon 85 1.8 /Canon 50 1.8 STM / Canon ef-s 17-55 2.8 and plenty of smiles!:D

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 01:42 |  #42

jtmiv wrote in post #16709244 (external link)
Dear ten,

One could also ask you to not excuse the equipment, but that would run counter to the accepted wisdom of paying more and getting less that seems to be the prevailing wisdom here and elsewhere?

I'll stick with my cheapo OP/TECH. For 1/3rd the price it needs no accessories to secure a camera and lens at two points.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

Just so I understand, you believe that not inspecting your equipment, and not having a redundant safety tether, is the fault of an inanimate object?

As an optech owner, let me help you. Your cheap strap, has clips, making them failure points. optech themselves make velcro straps as a safety for the clips, to ensure that even in failure, they are secure via some simple hook and loop fasteners. In addition, you better have some fast hands if one of those clips were to fail as what you really have are two separate failure points, and again, no redundancy.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 01:45 |  #43

An older version of how I had mine set up. It's been revised.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/wCctJWf.jpg?1

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 23, 2014 01:55 |  #44

ten31 wrote in post #16710142 (external link)
Just so I understand, you believe that not inspecting your equipment, and not having a redundant safety tether, is the fault of an inanimate object?

As an optech owner, let me help you. Your cheap strap, has clips, making them failure points. optech themselves make velcro straps as a safety for the clips, to ensure that even in failure, they are secure via some simple hook and loop fasteners. In addition, you better have some fast hands if one of those clips were to fail as what you really have are two separate failure points, and again, no redundancy.

I think you are missing the point Ten31. We are not saying that the camera strap failed. What we are saying (or I am) is that the concept that Black Rapid promotes in their material is risky and that you need to either consider an alternative concept design or to use a safety back like a tether.

Before my Canon 5D III hit the deck causing $450 worth of damage I didn't consider either of these options. I trusted the Black Rapid promotional material and, up to that point, had never seen any views to suggest the contrary.

The main point of airing bad experiences like these on Forums like POTN is to make others aware before they too have a similar bad experience.

Since my bad experience I have spend a further £45 (>$60) on a tether and a wrist strap from BR to try to restore my confidence in their product. My biggest problem with this is that the BR strap is not a cheap product so having to spend more after the fact stings a bit. Had it come as a full kit to begin with and I had chosen not to use the belt and braces approach then it would have been my stupidity and not BR which allowed the failure to happen.

I say again - my criticism is not with the BR strap as a product it is with the concept. A concept that allows the body to bounce off your person and anything you might be carrying in your pockets.

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 23, 2014 01:59 |  #45

ten31 wrote in post #16710144 (external link)
An older version of how I had mine set up. It's been revised.

QUOTED IMAGE

Hi again, your photo misses the point. The problem arose with the BR attached to the Lens and not the body as shown. If your body bounces off your person/pocket and releases the lens the lens could fall off the camera body and hit the deck.

Your example fails to provide the necessary anchorage to the other detachable item i.e. the lens in your case. Your concept would work if your BR was attached to the lens and the tether as shown. As mine is now!

sponsored links

32,895 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disaster (nearly) today with BlackRapid
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.