Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Feb 2014 (Saturday) 02:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon FL 50mm 1.8 on Sony A7R Results (1964-1971)

grahamclarkphoto
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 22, 2014 02:50 |  #1

One of the most exciting things about a camera that has a short focal flange distance is that nearly any 35mm lens ever made will work. I decided to start out by trying my Canon FL, Canon FD and Nikon Kogaku lenses first, and my first results with my Canon FL 50mm 1.8 was astounding at this medium format resolution range. Note all the images below are unsharpened RAW.

Take a look:

IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Sony-A7R-with-Canon-FL-50mm-1.8.jpg

San Francisco Skyline from Treasure Island | 97s - F11 - ISO 80 | Canon FL 50mm 1.8 (1964 – 1971)

Take a look at the 100% crop of the bridge detail:

IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Sony-A7R-with-Canon-FL-50mm-1.8-100-percent-bridge-crop.jpg

Take a look for yourself and download the RAW file (.ARW), the original TIFF16BIT (200MB+) and the hi/low-res JPEGs directly by clicking here: https://app.box.com/s/​03vu6r4c05d6q4v5550a (external link)

There's a bit of flare here on the originals that you may not find on modern lenses, however my real interest in these lenses will be black and white street photography, not landscape. Just wanted to test these on something of such extreme detail before my street photography photography meetup tomorrow in San Francisco's Chinatown.

Huge win on sharpness and corner detail, completely shocked me even on playback of image on the camera, but even more so on a 27" Thunderbolt. Will post back here with images from the Streets of Chinatown in B&W (http://www.meetup.com …aphy-SF/events/167445242/ (external link)) tomorrow sometime.

Graham

- -
Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Feb 22, 2014 15:44 |  #2

Wow. That detail is amazing

How much does this lens run now? Guess it will be cheaper than any other new lenses which are sometimes not nearly as crispy haha

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 22, 2014 22:02 |  #3

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but that looks quite mediocre to me. Very soft with poor contrast and what looks like some CA or similar giving a purple glow at the bottom of one of the bridge piers.

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,715 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 22, 2014 22:15 |  #4

We have several threads on vintage MF glass :D

Feel free to join us!

MF Adapted Lens Image Samples - Post Your Best!

Best Vintage MF lenses

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 23, 2014 02:00 |  #5

Today I shot Chinatown in Black and White here in San Francisco. From the 600 images (29.52GB), below are the top selects. The first half are with the Canon FL 50mm 1.8, second half are with the Canon FD 50mm 1.8:

IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Chinatown_in_Black_and_White2-683x1024.jpg
Streets of Chinatown in B&W | 1/320 - F8 - ISO 125 - Canon FD 50mm 1.8 with Sony A7R

IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Chinatown_in_Black_and_White6.jpg
Serve Yourself | 1/640 - F8 - ISO 320 - Canon FD 50mm 1.8 with Sony A7R

IMAGE: http://www.grahamclarkphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Chinatown_in_Black_and_White12.jpg
Looking East | 1/250 - F8 - ISO 200 - Canon FL 50mm 1.8 with Sony A7R

Click here to see all the other images (external link)

Click here to view and download the RAW, TIFF, DNG and hi-res JPEG files (5.2GB) (external link)

Click here (external link) to view the astounding sharpness of the Canon FD 50mm 1.8 with the Sony A7R. Can you spot the photographer?

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 23, 2014 02:01 |  #6

davidfarina wrote in post #16709306 (external link)
Wow. That detail is amazing

How much does this lens run now? Guess it will be cheaper than any other new lenses which are sometimes not nearly as crispy haha

Got it for $30 on craigslist

- -

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 23, 2014 02:25 |  #7

Nice images, although I don't see much reason to use that lens over the plastic 50mm F1.8.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 23, 2014 02:30 |  #8

jefzor wrote in post #16710182 (external link)
Nice images, although I don't see much reason to use that lens over the plastic 50mm F1.8.

Have you compared the Canon FL 50mm 1.8, Canon FD 50mm 1.8 and Canon EF 50mm 1.8 all side by side extensively?

I haven't, and until I do I'm using them because the focus dampening is excellent, and with focus peaking it's quite efficient at obtaining critical sharpness.

- -

jefzor
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 23, 2014 05:00 |  #9

grahamclarkphoto wrote in post #16710185 (external link)
Have you compared the Canon FL 50mm 1.8, Canon FD 50mm 1.8 and Canon EF 50mm 1.8 all side by side extensively?

I haven't, and until I do I'm using them because the focus dampening is excellent, and with focus peaking it's quite efficient at obtaining critical sharpness.

I'm just saying the plastic EF version is plenty sharp.
But if you like manual focus, then have fun with it. I know I don't.

www.jefpauwels.be (external link)

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,757 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 23, 2014 07:59 |  #10

Then you're in the wrong thread. :D

Gear List

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Feb 23, 2014 09:50 |  #11

I cannot undestand why anyone would pay that much for a body nnd then use it with a poor/cheap lens. I'll bet ny current Canon DSLR out performs any Canon 50/1.8.

GEAR LIST

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 23, 2014 12:50 |  #12

gasrocks wrote in post #16710687 (external link)
I cannot undestand why anyone would pay that much for a body nnd then use it with a poor/cheap lens. I'll bet ny current Canon DSLR out performs any Canon 50/1.8.

Take a look at one image from the 5.6GB I uploaded.

It would seem that expensive lenses don't always translate into better image quality, but the marketing of the industry would say otherwise, right?

A $30 Canon FD out resolves my Canon 50 1.2 at the same aperture, and has less axial and lateral CA than my Zeiss Planar 50.

As for "my canon DSLR out performs a 50 1.8"... not sure what that's supposed to mean.

I uploaded 5.6GB of images to show the image quality of these lenses, not to talk about it. It's a proven quantity, just take a look at one, or all.

Graham

- -

grahamclarkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Feb 23, 2014 12:55 |  #13

jefzor wrote in post #16710287 (external link)
I'm just saying the plastic EF version is plenty sharp.
But if you like manual focus, then have fun with it. I know I don't.

Yes it is pretty sharp! But is it sharper? I don't know the answer to that. That's what I'm testing.

Manual focus without focus peaking is hard, to say the least. With focus peaking it's faster than the AF on the A7R.

Graham

- -

sponsored links

6,341 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon FL 50mm 1.8 on Sony A7R Results (1964-1971)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.