Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disaster (nearly) today with BlackRapid

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 23, 2014 02:35 |  #46

jtmiv wrote in post #16709244 (external link)
One could also ask you to not excuse the equipment, but that would run counter to the accepted wisdom of paying more and getting less that seems to be the prevailing wisdom here and elsewhere?

So don't excuse the equipment then. Blame Canon. It's Canon that designed a lens release solution where quite a number of people - with or without any BR - have dropped lenses.

Any other equipment where $10000+ is at stake would have be designed with a more fail-safe solution.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

sponsored links
ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 03:12 |  #47

Lastblackdog wrote in post #16710158 (external link)
Hi again, your photo misses the point. The problem arose with the BR attached to the Lens and not the body as shown. If your body bounces off your person/pocket and releases the lens the lens could fall off the camera body and hit the deck.

Your example fails to provide the necessary anchorage to the other detachable item i.e. the lens in your case. Your concept would work if your BR was attached to the lens and the tether as shown. As mine is now!

Again you aren't getting it. Fashion something that works for you. I clearly stated above that a tether to the lens and body are in order. The point that you aren't getting is that it isn't a designed flaw with BR. When walking, or not using your camera, you can lock it in place so as to not make it swing around. Too many people blaming a piece of webbing and a carabiner for their own mistakes.

ten31 wrote in post #16709210 (external link)
Some of you are confusing "design flaw" with "consequence of use". Evaluate your equipment, I for one have posted in here about safety tethers. A person carrying a 70-200, should have the BR mounted on the tripod mount, and a safety tether to the body of the camera. It would also help to ensure that the lens is firmly secured into the camera, that the BR screw is firmly secured, etc before you go about your business.

Stop blaming the equipment.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 23, 2014 03:45 |  #48

ten31 wrote in post #16710204 (external link)
Again you aren't getting it. Fashion something that works for you. I clearly stated above that a tether to the lens and body are in order. The point that you aren't getting is that it isn't a designed flaw with BR. When walking, or not using your camera, you can lock it in place so as to not make it swing around. Too many people blaming a piece of webbing and a carabiner for their own mistakes.

If I made a mistake it was to believe the BR promotion material. This, and my ignorance of the possibility that this could happen, allowed me to suffer an expensive lesson.

I just want others to grasp this potential weakness in the concept and to guard against it as, it seems, you have.

I agree with the other poster on the point that the blame (if there is blame) is more weighted towards Canon for such a sloppy engagement mechanism between two very expensive pieces of kit.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 03:55 |  #49

Lastblackdog wrote in post #16710226 (external link)
If I made a mistake it was to believe the BR promotion material. This, and my ignorance of the possibility that this could happen, allowed me to suffer an expensive lesson.

I just want others to grasp this potential weakness in the concept and to guard against it as, it seems, you have.

I agree with the other poster on the point that the blame (if there is blame) is more weighted towards Canon for such a sloppy engagement mechanism between two very expensive pieces of kit.

Agreed on the Canon part.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

Gungnir
693 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 23, 2014 08:23 as a reply to  @ ten31's post |  #50

It isn't a design flaw on Canon's part. They provide sling attachment points. Attaching third party accessories in a way which compromises safe function of camera and lens can't in any logical sense be blamed on Canon.

Steve
'Be the person your dog thinks you are'
#freetommy

Eyal
569 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 23, 2014 08:27 |  #51

I had something similar while shooting a motorcycle race in the wild.
When moving from one area to another, somehow my body decided to detach itself from the lens. My strap was also connected to the lens and not the body.

I'm using a carry speed pro strap, and it comes with a small elastic strap which I connect to body on one side, and to the strap via a small hook to the front.

Something like this:

IMAGE: http://www.gavtrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/CarrySpeed1.jpg

The body did not fall, but you could feel the elastic line not enjoying the stretch of the body.
Too bad they don't sell those anymore :(

I did had my body fall with the 24-70 from a tripod as I was unhooking it to the ground. I now have an ugly crack at the bottom, but nothing damaged and everything still works.
It happened on my second day of a 10 days trip to japan, and I almost lost it when it happened (almost slow motion 'NOOOOOOOOO!" came out). Luckily it survived the whole trip.

5DMarkIII+Grip | Extender 1.4x III / 2x III
16-35mm F/2.8L II | 24-70mm F/2.8L II | 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II
Σ 50mm F/1.4 | 85mm F/1.2L II | 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro | 135mm F/2L | 300mm F/2.8L IS

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,833 posts
Gallery: 278 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 23, 2014 08:45 |  #52

I no longer use a strap only anymore. I once had a near disaster at Mesa Verde National Park when the strap broke on me. I instantly grabbed the last foot of the strap just before the camera and the lens met the rocky pavement. I now use a strap (OP/Tech) but only as a safety tether while the camera is holstered in either Peak Design Capture Clip or in the Cotton Carrier Vest, depending on my shooting situation.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 23, 2014 10:44 |  #53

Gungnir wrote in post #16710542 (external link)
It isn't a design flaw on Canon's part. They provide sling attachment points. Attaching third party accessories in a way which compromises safe function of camera and lens can't in any logical sense be blamed on Canon.

Have you tried Google or maybe searched on this site?

Have you not noticed that a number of people have had falling lenses while using Canon-original straps?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,646 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 23, 2014 11:22 |  #54

This is the back up I used. I use a wrist strap so I utilize it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/4S​7A9106.jpg (external link)

I found that any metal connecters just scratched the body so I just went to a short optic strap

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/4S​7A9110.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Lastblackdog
101 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 23, 2014 11:39 |  #55

digital paradise wrote in post #16710866 (external link)
This is the back up I used. I use a wrist strap so I utilize it.

QUOTED IMAGE

I found that any metal connecters just scratched the body so I just went to a short optic strap

QUOTED IMAGE

Lots of straps but what is connected to your lens? It is the separation of the body and the lens that is causing us grief!

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mrmcc1954/ (external link)

jtmiv
349 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 23, 2014 12:09 |  #56

Dear ten,

Yeah you get it. Pay 3X's more for something and then keep adding additional pieces to it until it finally works.

That makes a lot of sense to me, NOT!

The OP/TECH strap I use has survived just fine without the addition of extra parts and it will survive for a long time. What you think are cheap clips are used in thousands of pieces of outdoor gear and I have never seem a failure with one of them ever unless the clip was stepped on, shut in a car door, or otherwise crushed.

I have many fishing and boating items that use those same clips that I use in far more rugged conditions than simply walking around with a camera. They don't break and they don't disconnect, period.

You can use whatever you choose but please don't think that additional engineering is a mandatory requirement for a camera sling strap because it simply isn't necessary if you start with a good one.

And furthermore pwm, it isn't Canon's fault either. I've been using Canon cameras since 1990 or so and have never managed to disconnect the lens from the mount accidently and I don't know of anyone else who has either? If the strap webbing lays across the lens release that is a design problem for the strap, not the camera.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

EOS Elan, EOS7NE, EOS 40D, EOS1DMK2, Canon 15-85 IS EF-S, Canon 28-80 USM, Canon 28-105f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-210f3.5/4.5 USM, Canon 70-300f4.5/5.6 IS USM, Tamron 19-35f3.5/4.5, Tokina 80-400 ATX 11, Sigma 150-500 OS HSM, Promaster 7500DX, Benro A3580F

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,833 posts
Gallery: 278 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2004

Feb 23, 2014 12:32 |  #57

Ditto.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

blanex1
790 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 23, 2014 12:35 |  #58

this is why i sold my black rapid strap i could see the prospects of some thing bad happening!even though its a cool way to hall your rig around all day at the park it just did not seem safe with that bolt at the bottom,sorry for your drop.

canon 7d bg-e7 5d-mk3 1d-mk3 24-105-L 17-40 L 35/1.4 85/1.8 yougnuo 565 ex 580 ex and lots of other canon stuff.canon 70-200 2.8 L

pictureman62
439 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 23, 2014 13:07 |  #59

Thanks to all for their input, prior to all this I really didn't think about a safety tether, you can bet they will be there from this point forward.

Capture today, for everyone to enjoy tomorrow!:D
5D mkiii / 6D / 7D / (4) 600ex-rt, / Canon 135 F2 L /Canon 200 2.8L / Canon 24-105 4L / Canon 24-70 2.8 L / Canon 70-200 4 L / Canon 85 1.8 /Canon 50 1.8 STM / Canon ef-s 17-55 2.8 and plenty of smiles!:D

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,646 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 23, 2014 14:28 |  #60

Lastblackdog wrote in post #16710902 (external link)
Lots of straps but what is connected to your lens? It is the separation of the body and the lens that is causing us grief!

The set up on image #2 is similar to #1. Instead of a carabiner there is a short strap connected to the wrist strap which in on the camera at all times. I can loop the opposite end any way I like. In image #2, I just looped it around the BR strap. Easier to explain using image #1 - it is looped around the BR strap is just below the carabiner.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

32,904 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disaster (nearly) today with BlackRapid
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.