Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 23 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 12:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Working with snow....

swbkrun
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 23, 2014 12:22 |  #1

Need some thoughts? Help, etc.... I feel like they are underexposed however it I increase exposure I feel like the snow starts to look blown out?! What can I do? I have LR4, and CS6... Is it something as easy as more fill light? I can't seem to find what works... Thanks in advanced...

Steep Avalanche Field (Foggy, snowy day)

IMAGE: http://averymckenna.smugmug.com/Annette-Lake/i-cGrXVK3/0/L/Annette%20Lake-38-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/Annette-Lake/i-cGrXVK3/A  (external link)

Terrible "light" today, just makes for difficulty in getting the details
IMAGE: http://averymckenna.smugmug.com/Annette-Lake/i-CnP5hfV/0/L/Annette%20Lake%20Pano-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/Annette-Lake/i-CnP5hfV/A  (external link)

http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

sponsored links
nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 23, 2014 12:55 |  #2

if you have shot it in raw it is possible to improve it a lot . i like fogy. dark snowy, weather. these scene look very dull on camera lcd . but response very good in post processing.
for such scene in CS5 i use adjusing levels in luminosity mode to get fine details out of snow . to avoid overblowing the highlights use brush tools to mask the highlights.

Micro5797
487 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 23, 2014 13:33 |  #3

With shooting in snow, Though it doesn't help you with these images. I like to Bracket expose in 2 stop incriminates using 3 shots in total. You could do a 5-7 shot using 1 stop incriminates to get a touch more out of the image if you prefer, depending on wind, snow blowing, trees moving etc.

Efix:
Camera: Sony DSC-WX80
Lens: 4.5-36 mm f/3.3-6.3
Shot at 4.5 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Program AE, 1/800 sec, f/3.3, ISO 100

A smaller aperture will give you more detail. (Like F/16)

If you don't have bracket exposure (i am not really familiar with your camera). Shoot in manual at a smaller aperture like F/16 @ iso 100 (assuming that you are using a tripod). You can take multiple shots and merge them together (if shot in RAW). In LR select the images and right click, select merge to hdr pro in PS.

swbkrun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,127 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 23, 2014 23:00 |  #4

Thanks all... I didn't huff up the 5d today on this go around. Pretty brutal trip with high avalanche danger, so I had the little point in shoot. Haven't spent too much time with this camera, but it doesn't do too bad. Can't hold a candle to the 5d, but it "works."

But you have given me great ideas of what to do in the snow. I may tool around with a 1 shot HDR just to see how this turns out as well.

http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

Micro5797
487 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 24, 2014 12:14 |  #5

I have yet to try it on snow, but i hear that a CP filter is good for snow scenes.

Good luck with your shots, looks like fun.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 25, 2014 19:34 |  #6

Snow will fool your camera meter by up to 2 stops. It reflects more light than middle gray resulting in under exposed images. Try exposure compensation.

I really like the pano but would have preferred less foreground and more mountains.

But you wouldn't get me out there at all in that weather.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

sponsored links

811 views & 0 likes for this thread
Working with snow....
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.