Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disaster (nearly) today with BlackRapid

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,727 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 23, 2014 15:29 |  #61

ten31 wrote in post #16710144 (external link)
An older version of how I had mine set up. It's been revised.

QUOTED IMAGE

As I stated previously I don't blame the equipment. I agree with you. But canon could make a two step process for detaching the lens.

But I digress.

Your solution appears to my untrained eye to be poorly executed. How does that huge carabiner not constantly bang against the camera and LCD?

sponsored links
ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 16:08 |  #62

jtmiv wrote in post #16710966 (external link)
Dear ten,

Yeah you get it. Pay 3X's more for something and then keep adding additional pieces to it until it finally works.

That makes a lot of sense to me, NOT!

The OP/TECH strap I use has survived just fine without the addition of extra parts and it will survive for a long time. What you think are cheap clips are used in thousands of pieces of outdoor gear and I have never seem a failure with one of them ever unless the clip was stepped on, shut in a car door, or otherwise crushed.

I have many fishing and boating items that use those same clips that I use in far more rugged conditions than simply walking around with a camera. They don't break and they don't disconnect, period.

You can use whatever you choose but please don't think that additional engineering is a mandatory requirement for a camera sling strap because it simply isn't necessary if you start with a good one.

And furthermore pwm, it isn't Canon's fault either. I've been using Canon cameras since 1990 or so and have never managed to disconnect the lens from the mount accidently and I don't know of anyone else who has either? If the strap webbing lays across the lens release that is a design problem for the strap, not the camera.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

You clearly don't get it. I'll address your points, one by one.

As to the cost, that is a personal matter. The comfort and the way the BR strap operates, work for me in most situations and as such, was worth the cost, which in the scheme of it all, is a tiny fraction of what I've invested into this hobby.

As to adding additional pieces to make it work, you are being disingenuous. The BR strap works just fine, right out of the box. I suspect that a majority of lens/body detachments, occur as a result of operator error. More specifically, that when packaged away in a bag, the strap is wrapped or tensioned in a way as to depress the lens release. This can occur with any strap long enough to reach that button, including the optech. Owning both BR and optech straps, I can demonstrate this for you if you can't envision this.

The clips of our optech straps, while highly secure, are still a point that can fail. Optech recognizes this and sells "additional pieces you can buy until it finally works", in the same manner that BR users can buy or rig something that will make it "finally work".

You seem to be confused about exactly where the failure is occurring, ascribing it to the BR, as though there is something inherently wrong in its design. You mention at the end that "If the strap webbing lays across the lens release that is a design problem for the strap, not the camera". When in use, the BR strap does not lay across the lens release. Maybe you are confused?

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 16:12 |  #63

MDJAK wrote in post #16711414 (external link)
Your solution appears to my untrained eye to be poorly executed. How does that huge carabiner not constantly bang against the camera and LCD?

In the thread where I placed that picture, I stated that I took the picture with the carabiner on the wrong side. It sits behind the clip, not ahead and does not make contact with the camera.

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 16:18 |  #64

Lastblackdog wrote in post #16710902 (external link)
Lots of straps but what is connected to your lens? It is the separation of the body and the lens that is causing us grief!

On longer lenses, the tripod collar is the mount for the BR, and the body of the camera gets the tether. On lenses with no tripod mount, you must take the time to make sure that the lens is secure on the body, prior to supporting the camera by the strap. This applies to all straps, BR or not.

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,575 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 23, 2014 16:30 |  #65

ten31 wrote in post #16711518 (external link)
You clearly don't get it. I'll address your points, one by one.

As to the cost, that is a personal matter. The comfort and the way the BR strap operates, work for me in most situations and as such, was worth the cost, which in the scheme of it all, is a tiny fraction of what I've invested into this hobby.

As to adding additional pieces to make it work, you are being disingenuous. The BR strap works just fine, right out of the box. I suspect that a majority of lens/body detachments, occur as a result of operator error. More specifically, that when packaged away in a bag, the strap is wrapped or tensioned in a way as to depress the lens release. This can occur with any strap long enough to reach that button, including the optech. Owning both BR and optech straps, I can demonstrate this for you if you can't envision this.

The clips of our optech straps, while highly secure, are still a point that can fail. Optech recognizes this and sells "additional pieces you can buy until it finally works", in the same manner that BR users can buy or rig something that will make it "finally work".

You seem to be confused about exactly where the failure is occurring, ascribing it to the BR, as though there is something inherently wrong in its design. You mention at the end that "If the strap webbing lays across the lens release that is a design problem for the strap, not the camera". When in use, the BR strap does not lay across the lens release. Maybe you are confused?

From my standpoint I did not add the extra strap because of concerns about BP but myself making a mistake. In a rush sometimes I don't lock the carabiner and hanging from one point it gives me a better feeling. I don't like shoulder straps and don't want clips that leave a few inches of strap dangling around of the cameras strap mouths.

I have looked but can't find quick release camera strap mount devices besides going to a hardware store and getting clips that again scratch. I have seen systems that support from both camera strap mounts but no quick release device made for cameras without leaving something behind. If there was such system I'd probably use it.

Perhaps someone needs to invent a small strap you can quickly feed through the camera's strap mounts leads to a snap lock system further up the strap. I'd go for that so the camera would hang the way the manufacturer designed it to. Would feel a little better secured in two locations. For me anyway.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 16:38 |  #66

digital paradise wrote in post #16711565 (external link)
From my standpoint I did not add the extra strap because of concerns about BP but myself making a mistake. In a rush sometimes I don't lock the carabiner and hanging from one point it gives me a better feeling. I don't like shoulder straps and don't want clips that leave a few inches of strap dangling around of the cameras strap mouths.

I have looked but can't find quick release camera strap mount devices besides going to a hardware store and getting clips that again scratch. I have seen systems that support from both camera strap mounts but no quick release device made for cameras without leaving something behind. If there was such system I'd probably use it.

Perhaps someone needs to invent a small strap you can quickly feed through the camera's strap mounts leads to a snap lock system further up the strap. I'd go for that so the camera would hang the way the manufacturer designed it to. Would feel a little better secured in two locations. For me anyway.

op tech makes these:

http://optechusa.com …connectors/adap​t-its.html (external link) and
http://optechusa.com …-connectors/uni-loop.html (external link) that work really well. Quick release, leaves only a small end dangling on the camera, plastic etc...

Is that what you mean?

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
15,575 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 23, 2014 17:06 |  #67

I've seen those but it still leaves something dangling when you disconnect. OK for one gig I suppose but I hate that stuff dangling around when I'm not using it, even if it is short. Once that strap tightens up in the camera mount it takes a bit of work to get it out. I can disconnect the BR and backup in seconds and there is nothing left behind.

I don't why that dangly stuff on the ends of my my camera bugs me so much but it does :)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 23, 2014 22:04 |  #68

And furthermore pwm, it isn't Canon's fault either. I've been using Canon cameras since 1990 or so and have never managed to disconnect the lens from the mount accidentally and I don't know of anyone else who has either?

Not necessarily Canon's fault, but rather the fault of an old design not keeping up with a newer manner of carrying a camera. Canon's design works fine for a traditional neck strap, but sling straps are relatively new. It's possible that the sling design reveals a design flaw of the lens release mechanism - maybe it's too easy.

Because I'm one of those who have never experienced a lens and body twisting apart, I still believe this is user error... or rather the twisting apart is avoidable.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 23, 2014 22:12 |  #69

And furthermore pwm, it isn't Canon's fault either. I've been using Canon cameras since 1990 or so and have never managed to disconnect the lens from the mount accidentally and I don't know of anyone else who has either?

Not necessarily Canon's fault, but rather the fault of an old design not keeping up with a newer manner of carrying a camera. Canon's design works fine for a traditional neck strap, but sling straps are relatively new. It's possible that the sling design reveals a design flaw of the lens release mechanism - maybe it's too easy.

Because I'm one of those who have never experienced a lens and body twisting apart, I still believe this is user error... or rather the twisting apart is avoidable.

ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2014 22:45 |  #70

whoa a glitch in the matrix

gakoenig
427 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Feb 24, 2014 18:57 |  #71

I don't why that dangly stuff on the ends of my my camera bugs me so much but it does

I have the same problem.

Try designing camera straps with as few dangling bits left on the camera as possible; it's a PITA.

It would be easier if Canon/Nikon gave us something a bit better to connect to than brackets and lugs. Those were great when cameras were Leica size and people mostly shot 35mm primes. SLRs have gotten bulkier and people are routinely shooting with much larger glass. A scratchy, 1.75" neck strap with a giant Mug Me of My Expensive Kit logo in bright yellow or red attached to the top of the camera is just a terrible carry solution.

http://lu.ma (external link), greg@luma-labs.com (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2014 19:22 |  #72

gakoenig wrote in post #16714695 (external link)
I have the same problem.

Try designing camera straps with as few dangling bits left on the camera as possible; it's a PITA.

It would be easier if Canon/Nikon gave us something a bit better to connect to than brackets and lugs. Those were great when cameras were Leica size and people mostly shot 35mm primes. SLRs have gotten bulkier and people are routinely shooting with much larger glass. A scratchy, 1.75" neck strap with a giant Mug Me of My Expensive Kit logo in bright yellow or red attached to the top of the camera is just a terrible carry solution.

The original neck straps are totally impossible to use for a number of people - they just can't stand the main of the pressure on the neck. And keeping the strap over just one shoulder isn't a good solution either.

So yes - the camera manufacturers really should consider much better hardpoints on the camera gear.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 24, 2014 19:23 |  #73

Scrumhalf wrote in post #16694582 (external link)
Not sure what this failure has to do with the sling. Sounds like the lens came loose from the mount. If the strap was attached to the camera, then the lens would have fallen. I don't anything short of a redundant solution where the lens attached to the body independently would have saved both the body and the lens.

yea i was about to say this buy whats this got to do with strap? the fact that the OP's lens did not drop(the one attached to the strap) goes to show teh strap is doing its job. what is the OP on about? VERY MISLEADING THREAD TITLE

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 24, 2014 19:26 |  #74

Snydremark wrote in post #16696228 (external link)
It happens when the strap is connected to the lens at the tripod mount. While this the most balanced and comfortable way to connect the BR and similar straps, it puts the lens release button in such a position that it can, fairly easily, press against the hip and release while walking.

It's also the reason that some makers, such as Cotton Carrier, have started including a tether that acts as a secondary safety in such a case.

The Op/Tech is a good solution, but my preferred solution is the Leash from Peak Design. It comes, out of the box, with two attach points; allowing both camera and body to be secured. And, they attach in such a way that you don't sacrifice your quick-release capabilities for going to/from a tripod whenever you want. It can, even, remain attached while ON a tripod for a bit of extra security in precarious situations.

EDIT: In the meantime, it's a fairly simple adjustment to rectify. Attach the strap as you normally would, loosen the tension a hair on the tripod collar and rotate the camera so the release button is down and away from your body. This also has the benefit of rotating the grip up toward your hand a little bit more.

thats nothing to do with t

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Nathan
So boring
7,736 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2014 21:23 |  #75

jonneymendoza wrote in post #16714749 (external link)
yea i was about to say this buy whats this got to do with strap? the fact that the OP's lens did not drop(the one attached to the strap) goes to show teh strap is doing its job. what is the OP on about? VERY MISLEADING THREAD TITLE

I think people are saying that the sling style strap encourages accidental release of the camera from the lens because of how the camera hangs and bumps on the legs and body or other... that's the best I could come up with.

sponsored links

32,879 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disaster (nearly) today with BlackRapid
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.