Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Feb 2014 (Saturday) 20:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My photos being used without my consent...

Drakeskakes
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 22, 2014 20:33 |  #1

So a guy I used to call a friend, has waged a war on my over some petty internet bs. He is making claim to "destroy my reputation"
That is all backstory. The important fact is, a photo of him appeared in a magazine with the photo credit being given to him however it was a photo I took. I called the editor, who I know personally, and they felt terrible for not verifying the source, and have offered me a small check for compensation.

However, here is my question. The guy is using multiple photos I have taken on his website. If he was still a good buddy, I wouldn't care, but the fact he has turned into a complete lunatic, threatening me, I would like him to remove all my photos that I took from his website. Can I issue a cease and desist? Is it just a request to remove my photos?

Some of the photos were simply as much as "Hey man, here is my camera, take a quick photo" and I did. Others, were me going out of my way to put myself in a strategic photographic position and taking photos on my own without request. I sent him the photo in the magazine because he requested it to send to "his sponsors"
The magazine is not one of his sponsors.

I didn't give him permission to use my photo in a magazine

"Nobodys built like you....
.... You design yourself"
www.NeillDrake.com (external link)
Gripped 50D | 17-55 2.8 IS USM | Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye | 100mm 2.8 Macro USM | Nifty Fifty | 430ex II | Timbuk2

sponsored links
Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,425 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 22, 2014 21:50 |  #2

Do a whois on the site to see who the hosting company is then send them a DMCA take down notice. See https://nppa.org/page/​5617 (external link) for more info.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

CMfromIL
623 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 22, 2014 21:51 |  #3

If he's being a prick, just serve the 'offenders' with a DCMA takedown notice.

https://nppa.org/page/​5617 (external link)

The best part is that it's the ISP that will pull the images, not your 'friend'.

Like me on facebook! http://www.facebook.co​m/CollinMcKahinPhotogr​aphy (external link)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 22, 2014 22:05 |  #4

Man you gotta pick and choose your battles, is this really worth it? I mean im totally with you if you wanna send the c&d but im just worried it could get out of hand cause of the lunatic in him, more stress than you really need

Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 23, 2014 12:56 |  #5

Send a takedown and be done with it. Also, if you used his camera you will have almost zero chance of proving the copyright is yours. Also, if anyone has able to show copyright ownership based on artistic vision I would love to see it as it would be a first.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

adam8080
Goldmember
2,280 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 23, 2014 16:52 |  #6

Whoa, slow down! First of all it sounds like you provided him with an implied license to use the images in the first place (unless you have something in writing) which is not revokable!

Again, if you sent him photos and allowed him to use them for a period of time regardless of payment and have no written agreement in place on licensing, then in fact you granted him a non revokable license to use the images. Now blasting out DMCA notices are only going to get you in trouble and set your self up to get sued especially if this guy is out to get you. Look up implied copyright licenses and talk to a lawyer before you dig yourself into a hole.

Housley Photography (external link)
Camera Obscura
Business Card Help!

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 23, 2014 17:05 |  #7

I know the letter of the law is different, but: if someone handed me his camera and asked me to take a shot, I would assume he planned to use it for something. If I was concerned about copyright, I would have either used my own camera or not taken the shot. By taking the shot with his camera, unless you discussed otherwise, IMHO your consent for him to use the shots was implicit and you are the one that is being a .... The consent that you gave him (implicit or explicit) had nothing to do with whether or not he is still your good buddy, if you gave him consent (because he was a good buddy at the time) he's got it.

By posting in this forum, I assume you are a professional: you should know better than giving someone control of your images (e.g., taking them with his camera/card), without having a clear understanding (in writing) of how they should be used.

Again, I know the letter of the law may be different, but, by being careless, you have opened yourself up to this. I'd just let it go and chalk it up to "a lesson learned."

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 23, 2014 17:14 |  #8

Live with it. And learn.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2014 18:27 |  #9

I found that once and threatened them with a lawsuit for copyright infringement and told them how big I would win cause I have the raw file originals to prove they were my images. He backed down and removed them.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 24, 2014 09:19 |  #10

Shooting wrote in post #16711844 (external link)
I found that once and threatened them with a lawsuit for copyright infringement and told them how big I would win cause I have the raw file originals to prove they were my images. He backed down and removed them.

Great, you've answered the question in the subject, without regard for the details, e.g., the infringer has the raw files and can make a good case for implied consent, so then what?

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

moose10101
registered smartass
1,680 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 24, 2014 09:30 |  #11

Shooting wrote in post #16711844 (external link)

Can you please READ the posts before responding? You seem to be in "loose cannon" mode on multiple threads.

jrafael
134 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 24, 2014 10:25 |  #12

Drakeskakes wrote in post #16709782 (external link)
So a guy I used to call a friend, has waged a war on my over some petty internet bs. He is making claim to "destroy my reputation"
That is all backstory. The important fact is, a photo of him appeared in a magazine with the photo credit being given to him however it was a photo I took. I called the editor, who I know personally, and they felt terrible for not verifying the source, and have offered me a small check for compensation.

However, here is my question. The guy is using multiple photos I have taken on his website. If he was still a good buddy, I wouldn't care, but the fact he has turned into a complete lunatic, threatening me, I would like him to remove all my photos that I took from his website. Can I issue a cease and desist? Is it just a request to remove my photos?

Some of the photos were simply as much as "Hey man, here is my camera, take a quick photo" and I did. Others, were me going out of my way to put myself in a strategic photographic position and taking photos on my own without request. I sent him the photo in the magazine because he requested it to send to "his sponsors"
The magazine is not one of his sponsors.

I didn't give him permission to use my photo in a magazine

Live with it.

Are Implied Licenses Enforceable?

http://www.forbes.com …ied-licenses-enforceable/ (external link)

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2014 10:33 |  #13

Send him a letter asking him to remove the photos from his website and get on with things. If he doesn't remove them, leave it. There are no monetary damages here, even if you were to sue him and win, which is overkill anyway. We photographers DO have to take a stand against intellectual copyright theft, this just seems personal and not one of those times to go to war. It's your call obviously, but it isn't the hill I would want to die on.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

jrafael
134 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 24, 2014 11:10 |  #14

suecassidy wrote in post #16713398 (external link)
Send him a letter asking him to remove the photos from his website and get on with things. If he doesn't remove them, leave it. There are no monetary damages here, even if you were to sue him and win, which is overkill anyway. We photographers DO have to take a stand against intellectual copyright theft, this just seems personal and not one of those times to go to war. It's your call obviously, but it isn't the hill I would want to die on.

How is that theft, he (the op) took the pictures of this person, with the person's camera when as the op pointed out was asked if could take it for him and the op agreed on it.

Let's say you are on vacations and want a picture of the family together, a person its walking by and you ask if the can snap a few pictures for you, this person goes on and take the pictures fast forward and let say the picture turned very good you uploaded to Facebook etc.

The person that took the photo happen to find the photo online can he claim he owns the photo of you taken with your camera ?

I agree he should have not said to the magazine that he took the photo, however I will also assume that any photos taken of me, with my camera at my request are are mine and I'm free to use them however I want, unless of course there is a written contract that says otherwise.

suecassidy
Goldmember
4,102 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 24, 2014 11:18 |  #15

Technically, if someone takes a photo with your camera, it is still THEIR intellectual property since they were the one who pushed the shutter button, it was their vision of when to press the shutter. Except under a "work for hire" situation. That's my understanding, but all that aside, in this particular set of circumstances, this all seems somewhat petty (to me) given that he said "If he were still a good buddy, I wouldn't care..." that statement changes everything as far as "what would you do?" I'd be as pissed off as the OP is, but I wouldn't go to court over it or hire a lawyer.

Sue Cassidy
GEAR: Canon 1ds, Canon 1d Mark iii, Sony RX 100, Canon 50mmL 1.2, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Canon 100-400L IS, Canon 14mm L, 2.8, . Lighting: Elinchrom Rangers, D-lite 400s, Canon 580/550 flashes. 74 ' Octabank, 27' Rotalux. Editing: Aperture 3

sponsored links

3,070 views & 0 likes for this thread
My photos being used without my consent...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.