Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 18 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Engagement vs Family Portrait pricing

huntersdad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,823 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 19, 2014 15:27 |  #16

Christopher Steven b wrote in post #16701715 (external link)
I think if I contacted a photographer for a service and then found some obvious loophole in their pricing and they quickly ceded, I'd really be wondering how long that photographer has been working professionally. I say this not simply to chide you for not having answers to these obvious questions (e.g. why an engagement session might cost more than a family session; why you schedule the amount of time you schedule for engagements vs. family shoots), but just to give you a heads-up that appearing wishy-washy and uncertain about the products and services you offer is generally not a good thing.

Assuming this is directed at me, I did have an answer. More money due to more time due to locations and the overall nature of the shoot. She only saw what was written on my site and thought it should apply to all sessions. She didn't read the next line that states for all other requests, please contact me. I did the 1 hour session as I felt my wording was misleading. This been rectified.

Facebook (external link)

http://WWW.BLENDEDLIGH​TPHOTOGRAPHY.COM (external link)
1DxIII x 2 / 24 1.4 II / Sigma 35 1.4 / 85 1.4L / 70-200L II / 300 II / AD600Pros

sponsored links
Fernando
Goldmember
1,628 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 19, 2014 16:16 |  #17

cdifoto wrote in post #16700460 (external link)
My family shoots are usually at one spot with one outfit...and my most recent one only took 6 minutes from first shot to last.

My engagement shoots are the ones where we go more places and do more cutesy things and I have to set up and tear down frequently (same for high school seniors).

Having said that, I charge based on what will be happening and how long we'll need to get it done. That means 2 hours costs more than one hour no matter what it is. And then there's products...

So you quote by the effort and time and not what the subject might be...

Check that out, a business decision made based on business reasons and not an arbitrary title.

I'm in 100% agreement.

Fuji convert - Ping me if you have any Fuji gear or legacy glass you're moving.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 19, 2014 16:39 |  #18

Fernando wrote in post #16702264 (external link)

Check that out, a business decision made based on business reasons and not an arbitrary title.

I'm in 100% agreement.

Yeah there's no White Dress tax. :-P

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 19, 2014 17:15 |  #19

Fernando wrote in post #16702264 (external link)

I'm in 100% agreement.

Me too. I have a 3 hour e-shoot and a 3 hour wedding option (it is very rare I do them). They are priced differently as the work involved is different. Meetings, communication, planning, volume of shots taken and so on. The prices though are based on the work I undertake for each.

It is also why I don't charge a huge markup on additional copies of albums. All I am doing in processing a payment and saying to the printer to print another copy.

cdifoto wrote in post #16702336 (external link)
Yeah there's no White Dress tax. :-P

Although there is a "me tax" if you'd call it that. An element of the pricing attached to all my packages (irrespective of genre) which is for my style as such. This can also be viewed as the minimum hourly rate I'm prepared to work for.

Peter

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 20, 2014 05:17 |  #20

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16702415 (external link)
Although there is a "me tax" if you'd call it that. An element of the pricing attached to all my packages (irrespective of genre) which is for my style as such. This can also be viewed as the minimum hourly rate I'm prepared to work for.

Yeah I'm not as cheap as the kid who has no experience if that's what you're saying. I'm pretty sure all business works that way. There's an upholsterer near me who gets what I perceive as a lot of money to so what I perceive as very little work but he's very good at what he does. It's kind of how we try to be as photographers. The better you get, the more you can charge.

You don't get the money you get just because you're you but you do get the money you get because of your skill level.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

archer1960
Goldmember
4,931 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 20, 2014 07:34 |  #21

HiepBuiPhotography wrote in post #16699315 (external link)
Those who laugh are the ones who are looking for a photographer, but a cheap deal. If you're good enough, you set the bar high and it automatically weeds out those who can't tell the difference between a good photographer and a cheap one.

You have to adjust for the area where you work. There may not be any (or nearly enough anyway) people who would pay significantly more than that in the area where he works.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2014 18:38 |  #22

If they book me to do their wedding I throw in the engagement session for free and give them an 8x10 and 4 5x7's and 6 wallets to go with it. Anything else they have to purchase. Most of them though have already done their engagement pics before hiring their wedding photographer.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 24, 2014 02:39 |  #23

Shooting wrote in post #16711867 (external link)
Most of them though have already done their engagement pics before hiring their wedding photographer.

It tends to be quite the opposite here.

Peter

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,640 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 24, 2014 02:59 |  #24

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #16712703 (external link)
It tends to be quite the opposite here.

I agree. Every single wedding I have 2nd shot had the B&G get their e-shoot from the same photographer as the wedding.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 24, 2014 03:09 |  #25

the flying moose wrote in post #16712712 (external link)
I agree. Every single wedding I have 2nd shot had the B&G get their e-shoot from the same photographer as the wedding.

If you do someone's engagement photos and you don't then shoot the wedding there ought to be a good reason why not.

Peter

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 24, 2014 12:53 |  #26

The only time I see people that have already done engagements before they hire a wedding photographer is when their friend did them for free. 90% of the time those couples hire me to do engagements anyway because they are so terrible.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

sponsored links

2,762 views & 0 likes for this thread
Engagement vs Family Portrait pricing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.