Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 16:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you use to lug around your Lightstands, Umbrellas, Tripod, Monopod...?

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 22, 2014 01:50 |  #46
bannedPermanent ban

It also depends on what kind of photography you're doing: some kinds and/or shoots can be done with little equipment, some others require pretty much that you bring the studio to the location. There's no one-size-fits-all.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
DBNissan
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 22, 2014 01:55 |  #47

Alveric wrote in post #16626174 (external link)
It also depends on what kind of photography you're doing: some kinds and/or shoots can be done with little equipment, some others require pretty much that you bring the studio to the location. There's no one-size-fits-all.

That's what prompted be to use that huge rolling box. I had to bring my studio to a client's house. He needed images of his artwork and I didn't want him to have to haul all his pieces to me.

~Dan
Instagram (external link)
Facebook Page (external link)

geo35
518 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 24, 2014 06:54 |  #48

Depends on the gig. I have a Tamrac 662 Super Rolling Studio for light stands, tripods, monopod and umbrellas. I have two Tamrac 694 Rolling strongboxes (one with cameras and lenses and speedlights, one with Quantum Qflashes and batteries). I always bring my Thinktank 30 shoulder bag with a couple lenses & doodads. Sometimes I also bring one of my two old Boda Bag shoulder bags. It's a rare event - usually a big wedding - that would see me carry all that stuff at once.

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 29, 2014 13:25 |  #49

I just did this for the first time and I used my fencing bag (yes, as in swords). It was the perfect size!

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

samplestars
67 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 01, 2014 14:50 as a reply to  @ AlFooteIII's post |  #50

I use a Hama camera backpack for my 2 bodies, 3 lenses, and 2 flashes.

I use a large music keyboard bag for tripod, stands, brollies, etc. Works very well.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2014 19:01 |  #51

Just the trunk of my car. I keep my load very light and simple, 2 flashes, 2 umbrellas and 2 stands.just for the formals, on camera flash bounce for the rest or available light.

Koz21
136 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 23, 2014 19:46 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #52

Walking through the sports area of Walmart I found this:
http://www.walmart.com …l-Gun-Case-Black/29765886 (external link)

Though it is a gun case and I wish the depth was more but it actually holds a lot stuff. I was able to fit my three stacked Manfrotto 1004 BAC stands, Matthews Hollywood 40" arm, (2) 40 inch umbrellas and a 24 inch softbox in its zippered case. There are straps to secure the stands from moving. On the outside you have 3 zippered pockets, each one is deep enough to hold 1 swivel umbrella adapter and I have (2) so the third pocket holds two small camera pouches that store hardware and accessories. There are two large pockets that can hold a speedlight and battery pack each and they close with a snap buckle. It has a top strap for a handle and a shoulder strap as well.

As mentioned earlier I wish it was a little deeper, you do have to work just a little to close the zipper but nothing outrageous that would warrant not using the bag but then again it is a gun case. I picked it up in store for under $20.00 but the retail price is about $25.00. All in all for now it will serve what I need it for. The dimensions are 48" X 11" x 2.25".

From the east side of the mitten!

vanmidd
215 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 24, 2014 04:33 |  #53

Here's a pretty neat setup:

http://shotkit.com/fer​-juaristi/ (external link)

Just goes to show that you don't need a truckload of gear to be the best.

Van Middleton Photography - Byron Bay Wedding Photographer (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 24, 2014 11:06 |  #54
bannedPermanent ban

**chuckles**

Yeah, well, some kinds of photography DO require the use of monolights and other ancillary equipment.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 24, 2014 14:06 |  #55

That minimalist kit is fine for portraits. Not so much for product photography lol

~Dan

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 24, 2014 17:03 |  #56

vanmidd wrote in post #16712771 (external link)
Just goes to show that you don't need a truckload of gear to be the best.

It doesn't show that those with a truckload of gear can't be the best either though.

Peter

vanmidd
215 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 26, 2014 07:27 |  #57

Yeah, well, some kinds of photography DO require the use of monolights and other ancillary equipment.

That minimalist kit is fine for portraits. Not so much for product photography lol

Both true, but I thought we'd be talking weddings in the weddings and event forum.

It doesn't show that those without a truckload of gear can't be the best either though.

I think you may have made a grammar doodie, but I get what you're saying and agree (I think).

Van Middleton Photography - Byron Bay Wedding Photographer (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 26, 2014 08:50 |  #58

vanmidd wrote in post #16718681 (external link)
I think you may have made a grammar doodie, but I get what you're saying and agree (I think).

It was just a typo. Corrected now.

How much or how little gear a photographer uses has little bearing on their ability to be "the best" (whatever the hell that is supposed to be anyway)... it is just simply how much gear they choose to use.

Peter

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 26, 2014 11:55 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

vanmidd wrote in post #16718681 (external link)
Both true, but I thought we'd be talking weddings in the weddings and event forum.

Ooopsie! I honestly never looked at the parent forum for this thread. I land on threads via the 'New Posts' link. :oops:

DBNissan
Goldmember
1,069 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 26, 2014 18:40 |  #60

Alveric wrote in post #16719413 (external link)
Ooopsie! I honestly never looked at the parent forum for this thread. I land on threads via the 'New Posts' link. :oops:

Ha! Same here :o

Still... I use remote speedlites on stands during receptions and typically run a slideshow so it helps to have the rolling case to carry everything in. I run minimalist during the ceremony since a flash is not allowed at that time :lol:

~Dan

sponsored links

10,284 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you use to lug around your Lightstands, Umbrellas, Tripod, Monopod...?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.