Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 06 Nov 2013 (Wednesday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How did you acquire your photog gear?

benji25
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 07, 2013 11:49 |  #16

Local store offers 24 month no interest financing as well as price matching. So that is what I do. BUt I also don't do it unless I can afford it with cash.

Website (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Nov 07, 2013 19:55 |  #17

Jill Kelly wrote in post #16429107 (external link)
Do most people:
Buy with cash
Take out business loans
Use Credit Cards
Buy as you go, or
Rent

All of the above. If I need it I get it. All of what I have these days is owned outright. I invested heavily to begin with knowing that after a few years I'd then hardly need anything for the years after that.

Peter

Aki78
963 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 07, 2013 19:57 |  #18

You know...this thread reminds me. It's really the only hobby I actually buy things mostly new. All other hobbies or interests is usually used. I've sold many things including my pedal bikes to buy some new equipment as of late. Now just need more clients to actually start buying lenses and new body!

Trent ­ Gillespie
589 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 08, 2013 00:05 as a reply to  @ Aki78's post |  #19

I buy used... Cash most of the time, with an occasional trade. I try to avoid upgrading camera bodie,s as they depreciate quickly. Lenses on the other hand, have been a great investment. I just recently sold my 70-200 2.8 IS MKI for more than I paid for it. No clue how that happened, but a huge win, being that we've used it for 5 or 6 years now.

Loans and credit are a bad resource to tap into unless you have some serious business lined up. A friend of mine took out 10k to fund camera equipment and is still shooting weddings pro bono. Insane.

Trent Gillespie
Denver Wedding Photographer (external link)
Gear in the Bag (external link)

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Nov 08, 2013 10:04 |  #20

I'm an amateur. As such, I don't have to justify a camera gear purchase. When I ran my own business, I would always run ROI calculations on any large purchase.

These days, I set aside money from every pay check specifically for camera gear and after a year or so, I buy something I've been wanting. It's relatively painless and I don't feel any regret when the spending hour is upon me. ;)

I would have a much different outlook if I was a professional photographer and needed a tool to complete a contract.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

Marell
101 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 08, 2013 10:07 |  #21

My fiancee took most of my saving when she left after I was paying for everything for her. I sold my xsi to make a car payment. I then worked no word of a lie for 90 days without an off day while working OT and paid for my mkii 70-200 and my nifty 50 cash...... how sweet that was.

howzitboy
Goldmember
2,948 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 17, 2013 15:36 |  #22

i crash weddings and wait till the photographer is busy and steal his bag! joke.. i buy used, i buy new, i pay cash, i charge, i borrow! anything to get what you need.

http://onehourwedding.​blogspot.com/ (external link)

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,616 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 17, 2013 16:29 |  #23

I know someone who work at a local gear rental store. He borrows items for free when the store is not open on the next day. I think its a good way to test out different equipments. Since the items are rentals, he tends to use them very hard, which is a great way to test gear reliability.

Gearlist

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2014 19:02 |  #24

Buy one item at a time with cash from my business account. If I can't afford it, it goes on my list to be purchased. I credit card nothing.

sponsored links

3,328 views & 0 likes for this thread
How did you acquire your photog gear?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.