Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What additional LEE filters?

Hawk's ­ Feather
306 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 23, 2014 11:16 |  #1

I am planning on purchasing the LEE Filter Foundation mainly for the neutral density capability but am interested in knowing what other filters I should consider. Most of the time I would be shooting water (obviously) and also general landscapes. I am thinking of getting a 2 or 3 stop neutral density as well as the big stopper. Would a graduated filter be a good addition and/or any of their color filters?

I did do a search for Lee and while there are many very good examples of images and some discussion, none that I found about ‘what to consider’ when starting.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,263 posts
Gallery: 1678 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 23, 2014 12:42 |  #2

Heya,

I would get the following:

3 stop ND solid
6 stop ND solid
3 stop Hard Grad ND
3 stop Soft Grad ND

You can stack to get anywhere from 3 to 9+ stops. The filters are large enough that the grads can be used as a solid too. The big 10 stop stopper is great, if you want to use one filter.

I find 2 stop filters to be nearly useless. Starts to make a good difference at 3+ stops.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 23, 2014 14:25 |  #3

Before buying any ND grads, I would experiment with LR's grad tool. See if it meet your needs. If so, you've saved money. If not, you have a better idea of what you really need.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 23, 2014 16:48 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

rgs wrote in post #16711273 (external link)
Before buying any ND grads, I would experiment with LR's grad tool. See if it meet your needs. If so, you've saved money. If not, you have a better idea of what you really need.

Places where you need GND filters LR's grad tool just won't do. You will have blown highlights. Using a GND filter on location will prevent you from guessing if the shot will be ok once it's in LR. I would not leave things to chance when a simple couple of GND filters would do the trick.

OP, I use GND filters but I handhold them as it allows me to jiggle the filter during exposure thus providing a nice seamless transition zone.

rgs
Goldmember
2,322 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 23, 2014 20:27 |  #5

Hogloff wrote in post #16711616 (external link)
Places where you need GND filters LR's grad tool just won't do. You will have blown highlights. Using a GND filter on location will prevent you from guessing if the shot will be ok once it's in LR. I would not leave things to chance when a simple couple of GND filters would do the trick.

OP, I use GND filters but I handhold them as it allows me to jiggle the filter during exposure thus providing a nice seamless transition zone.

This is not necessarily true. Most cameras have 2-3 stops of head room past the point they begin to warn of blown highlights (read Schwee's "The Digital Negative"). Using expose to the right techniques is likely to offer as much additional range as a 3 stop GND and the Lightroom tool is much more flexible because of options to use it multiple times on the same exposure.

Add in the other LR exposure manipulation tools and PS blending techniques and there are MANY more options than a simple filter can offer. There is also the advantage of not permanently altering a file in camera which leaves many chances to re-think the exposure and PP at leisure and thoroughly.

I did not suggest the OP should not use GNDs; everyone's work calls for different tools. I simply suggested learning the digital methods first will give a better idea of whether GNDs are needed and, if they are, what types.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Feb 23, 2014 23:16 |  #6

For GND I would start out with just a 2 stop soft or 3 stop hard Lee GND. You can get more after you try to see how they work for you.
As mentioned, the Lee are 6" long filters and half of that is dark. Thus you can use the dark half of it as a straight ND filter too,
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

Hawk's ­ Feather
THREAD ­ STARTER
306 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2014 08:01 |  #7

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the advice.

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry Latta Photography (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,837 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 04, 2014 11:36 |  #8

Sorry it is late, but i will start with those 2 or 3 filters if i have the budget:

0.9 [3-stops] GND
0.6 [2 stops] ND
CPL

I chose 0.9 for GND because the sky is sometimes not that much bright according to the earth surface or water, so 2-3 stops are enough, in another time, 0.9 is not enough and you need 1.2stops, but in all cases 0.9 is in the middle all around to use, and i recommend getting soft edge one first.

ND, well, with 0.6 you can practice on different exposures until you feel you need how much stop more than this one, but i know in many applications of waterscape or waterfall, doing more than 3 stops is overkill, and .3 [1 stop] is not much at all, so 2 stops to start with is good and you can increase later with 3-10 stops as your need.

CPL, well, it may be useful and handy for some landscapes, but you should know its feature so you know when and where to use it.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

shamlyn
93 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 04, 2014 22:26 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #9

Tareq: First of all, your pictures in your gallery are beautiful. Some of the images you have gotten are mind blowing. I plan on buying the B+W MRC 110 Filter, but my question to you is what Grad ND Filters do you use the most? 0.6, 0.9, 1.2?

As a first time Grad ND Filter buyer and user, I was thinking about going with the the following:

Also, I am planning on going with Lee Filters.

0.6 Hard
0.6 Soft
0.9 Hard
0.9 Soft

Should I also go with the 1.2 either the Hard or Soft Grad ND Filter? Which would you recommend.

Thanks

Scott

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 05, 2014 02:07 |  #10

Tareq wrote in post #16733879 (external link)
I chose 0.9 for GND because the sky is sometimes not that much bright according to the earth surface or water, so 2-3 stops are enough, in another time, 0.9 is not enough and you need 1.2stops, but in all cases 0.9 is in the middle all around to use, and i recommend getting soft edge one first.

ND, well, with 0.6 you can practice on different exposures until you feel you need how much stop more than this one, but i know in many applications of waterscape or waterfall, doing more than 3 stops is overkill, and .3 [1 stop] is not much at all, so 2 stops to start with is good and you can increase later with 3-10 stops as your need.

CPL, well, it may be useful and handy for some landscapes, but you should know its feature so you know when and where to use it.

I agree with the 0.9GND recommendation. Soft is a good place to start.

However, I don't think you should say >3 stops is too much for water. It doesn't depend on the strength of your filter, it all depends on your exposure time, and you can easily get the same exposure time with a 3 stop as you can with a 2 stop.
Fairly often when I'm shooting during the day, I'll find that 3 stops is the weakest ND I want for water, because any weaker and I'd have to stop down from say, f8 to f11, or from f11 to f16, which increases diffraction.
For a GND, 2 stops is appealing to me, but not for an ND.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Tareq
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 05, 2014 07:12 |  #11

shamlyn wrote in post #16735248 (external link)
Tareq: First of all, your pictures in your gallery are beautiful. Some of the images you have gotten are mind blowing. I plan on buying the B+W MRC 110 Filter, but my question to you is what Grad ND Filters do you use the most? 0.6, 0.9, 1.2?

As a first time Grad ND Filter buyer and user, I was thinking about going with the the following:

Also, I am planning on going with Lee Filters.

0.6 Hard
0.6 Soft
0.9 Hard
0.9 Soft

Should I also go with the 1.2 either the Hard or Soft Grad ND Filter? Which would you recommend.

Thanks

Scott

Thank you very much, Scott, i appreciate that.

Honestly speaking, in the past i was using 1.2GND soft a lot, maybe around 95%, but later i start to use 0.9GND soft more often, then tried 0.9 GND HE, i also have 1.2GND hard edge, but in fact that most one i was using was 1.2GND soft then followed by 0.9 GND soft, third was 1.2 soft edge, i go with 1.2 more than 0.9 because i wanted more dramatic sky even it is not that much stop between 0.9 and 1.2 [1 stop], in my country the sun is strong enough even with clouds.

All depend on where and when you shoot, i can shoot with 1.2 or 0.9 on same scene and i will not see much big difference in exposure, at the end i ending with correcting little with Photoshop, using 0.9 or 1.2 is to save details on the blown out sky, if you can do that with 0.9 or 1.2 or even 0.6 then this is the key, but i will tell you that 99% you will go with 1.2 and 0.9 for the sky, and 0.3-0.6 for the foreground or water, so i think if you want buy both, go with 1.2 GND soft and 0.6 GND soft, and when you combine both so 0.6 is bottom and 1.2 is bottom this will give you good balanced for the whole scene.

Sirrith wrote in post #16735525 (external link)
I agree with the 0.9GND recommendation. Soft is a good place to start.

However, I don't think you should say >3 stops is too much for water. It doesn't depend on the strength of your filter, it all depends on your exposure time, and you can easily get the same exposure time with a 3 stop as you can with a 2 stop.
Fairly often when I'm shooting during the day, I'll find that 3 stops is the weakest ND I want for water, because any weaker and I'd have to stop down from say, f8 to f11, or from f11 to f16, which increases diffraction.
For a GND, 2 stops is appealing to me, but not for an ND.

Well. in fact i was wrong that i didn't complete my post, but i was thinking that he might using ND with GND, so in this case he add that 3 stops for example to that 2 stops of ND, ending with 5 stops, 2 stops for foreground or some water surfaces are fine, i always use lowest ISO [50-100] with f8-f11 and can have slow shutter speed with only 2stop ND, and i said it should be a start, and many times it was enough, but i know some like you may be in situations where even 3 stops is not enough at all, just everybody should ask self how many times they are in situations where 2-3 stops are not enough at all.

Also, i bought cheap ND filters 4x4, i can buy even 5 filters of different stops of that cheap brand and still didn't waste a lot of money, i bought their 0.9 and 1.5 ND for less than $150, i will buy their 1.8 too and maybe something like 0.3/2.4 as well just to have collection, cheap, so if someone want to buy so expensive brand filter of ND then i will start with 0.6ND.

Yesterday i went out to the beach, i did shoot the see with 0.6ND and 1.2GND soft and CPL [ND and CPL are from LEE, GND is 3rd party], and the results were amazing fantastic, here is one of those results:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1167.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_0007_zps1e​ff1eb4.jpg (external link)

the filters order from closer to the lens to further:

0.6ND[LEE] + 1.2GND soft[3rd party] + CPL 4x4[LEE]

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,058 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 05, 2014 07:47 |  #12

Contrary to most of the advice above I would advise you not to buy a solid ND filter. Instead get a 3 stop hard GND and a 3 stop soft GND. You can use the GND upside down so that the ND part covers the frame and acts as a solid ND i.e. you could have a hard GND the correct way up to lower the exposure in the sky and the soft upside down covering the entire frame to increase your exposure time.

In addition I would recommend the Lee 4x4 CPL. My entire Lee kit is a 3 stop soft GND, 3 stop hard GND, 4x4 CPL and big stopper. I have never once found it to be lacking anything. The only thing I added that was non Lee was a Hitech 3 stop reverse GND

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 05, 2014 08:40 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

xpfloyd wrote in post #16735826 (external link)
Contrary to most of the advice above I would advise you not to buy a solid ND filter. Instead get a 3 stop hard GND and a 3 stop soft GND. You can use the GND upside down so that the ND part covers the frame and acts as a solid ND i.e. you could have a hard GND the correct way up to lower the exposure in the sky and the soft upside down covering the entire frame to increase your exposure time.

And what would you do if you want both a ND to slow down your shutter and require a GND filter to hold back the sky? I am in this situation quite often when photographing seascapes.

Personally I would use screw in filters for both polarization and ND and handhold GND filters. Handholding allows much better control of the transition as you can wiggle the filter as you expose.

Tareq
17,837 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 05, 2014 09:02 |  #14

I am same Eddie, but now i am like 90% found my right exact filters i wanted, i have many resin filters from Hitech that i will sell, i ended up with glass filters, so LEE 0.6ND glass, CPL 4x4 glass, and bought from ebay 3rd party 1.2 & 0.9 soft GND both are glass, and to my surprise they are really so high quality, each costs me $190, so i never worry about resin again, and also i have Big Stopper which is glass too, I bought 2 ND glasses filters [0.9 & 1.5] from cheap brand but both are 4mm thickness.

So from above, the only missing glass filters i may add if necessary are:
- 0.6 GND [Soft]
- 0.9 GND [hard]
- 1.2 GND [hard]
- 0.3/1.8/2.4 ND [I may buy another 0.9 ND glass filter but with 1.5-2mm thicnkess, otherwise i better get another filter holder with 4mm thickness slots or buy those slots to add to the holder]

From yesterday shoot, i was using ND+GND+CPL all glasses i was so blown away of the quality, so slowly i will get rid of all or most of my resin filters, even LEE resin filters maybe, but the only resin filter i will keep is that SinghRay reverse GND one, i didn't find one made of glass yet.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
13,058 posts
Gallery: 616 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011

Mar 05, 2014 09:08 |  #15

Hogloff wrote in post #16735923 (external link)
And what would you do if you want both a ND to slow down your shutter and require a GND filter to hold back the sky? I am in this situation quite often when photographing seascapes.

xpfloyd wrote in post #16735826 (external link)
you could have a hard GND the correct way up to lower the exposure in the sky and the soft upside down covering the entire frame to increase your exposure time.

What I was meaning was if you had a hard and a soft GND it covers you for this. I personally cant see the point of buying a solid ND if you have 2 GNDs

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket | GoPro Hero 7 Black
Loxia 21 | FE35
16-35 GM | Tamron 28-75

sponsored links

3,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
What additional LEE filters?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.