Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 14 Nov 2011 (Monday) 15:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Elinchrom Users Only (Mark IV)

djlb
171 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 24, 2014 01:08 |  #9031

tiny screen

sponsored links
johnbellerose
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 24, 2014 02:56 as a reply to  @ djlb's post |  #9032

Miss the 600w. Flash Duration is slow? I thought at least 13,000 to match Alien bee.

John Bellerose
www.johnbellerose.com (external link)

djlb
171 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 24, 2014 03:05 |  #9033

carlosmay wrote in post #16712076 (external link)
News from Elinchrom:
http://www.elinchrom.c​om …C-Pro-HD-500.html#content (external link)

What did you think of the specs?

having moved to the Profoto B1 I was intrigued what Eli might release to replace the now aging quadra; mine is now for sale.

the new flash looks nice, but doesn't get round the two main issues for me surrounding Eli, the light stand holder and build quality just seen second rate. The Profoto seems so tough it could double as a hammer.

Nice to seem Eli moving to an IGBT trigger circuit.

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 24, 2014 05:30 as a reply to  @ djlb's post |  #9034

Is it just me or was the PCB Einstein WAY ahead of it's time?! :lol:

I own a DSLR, some lenses and some lights.

SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 24, 2014 07:49 |  #9035

dbeugel wrote in post #16712847 (external link)
Is it just me or was the PCB Einstein WAY ahead of it's time?! :lol:

Good point.

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 24, 2014 11:37 as a reply to  @ SamFrench's post |  #9036

Man, I went out today leaving the quadra behind during the 'golden hour' wasn't really golden but whatever and I have to say I find using strobes 1000x easier than shooting natural light. Funny that some people are intimidated by flash, I'm quite the opposite. Maybe I should go back to basics for a few weeks as I think I jumped into the deep end. Either way I went home in a strop :lol: I love my Quadra as much as my wife <3

Does anyone have the same mindset as me? If you don't visualise a shot being perfect you don't bother shooting and just go home?

Faolan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 24, 2014 19:37 |  #9037

dbeugel wrote in post #16713553 (external link)
Man, I went out today leaving the quadra behind during the 'golden hour' wasn't really golden but whatever and I have to say I find using strobes 1000x easier than shooting natural light. Funny that some people are intimidated by flash, I'm quite the opposite. Maybe I should go back to basics for a few weeks as I think I jumped into the deep end. Either way I went home in a strop :lol: I love my Quadra as much as my wife <3

Does anyone have the same mindset as me? If you don't visualise a shot being perfect you don't bother shooting and just go home?

I work both natural light which I prefer and artificial, but I tend to compliment natural light where possible usually with a Quadra. Natural light has a distinct look that's difficult to replicate with artificial light and generally it's quicker to work with what you have for a impromptu session than to set up a whole lighting rig. It gets more complicated when you have to bring in scrims through.

Horses for courses to be honest.

On another note For those asking about the new Eli HD it's retailing around £550 for the 500 version.

Some call me the Heilan' Laddie, but others call me Rob.
Flickr (external link) - Lighting set ups using Canon Flash/Elinchrom plus some general work.
Celtic Shadows Design (external link) - Photography and WordPress Development.

Rai33
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 25, 2014 02:03 |  #9038

Agree. On location I prefer to use natural light where possible and only supplement with strobes if necessary. Find it much more liberating and spontaneous where your subject is freer to move about. Admittedly my images improved dramatically when I first started using strobes ...their regular use oddly enough gradually gave me the confidence to go full circle and work again with natural light only. I put it down to learning how to just see light as light despite the source it may emanate from.

Portfolio - Fashion/Beauty (external link)
Portfolio - Kids (external link)
Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 25, 2014 02:44 as a reply to  @ Rai33's post |  #9039

Cheers Guys that's very interesting. I might try the same and bring along a reflector just in case :lol:

I thought the new Eli would be around the £500 mark. The new modes sound interesting to me, especially the delayed mode....Is that an Elinchrom first?

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Gallery: 261 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 25, 2014 03:06 |  #9040

I rather shoot natural light alot less crap i have to carry.

I AM SHOM

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 25, 2014 05:00 as a reply to  @ abbadon31's post |  #9041

Now Scott that did surprise me!!! My issue with only natural light is the dynamic range side of things. With the Quadra I can control everything I want. I'm talking just total natural light here, no 5 in 1 reflector or anything! One thing I do prefer about the natural light though, is what you can do with it in processing, it seems to work with so many different styles much better.

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 25, 2014 09:42 |  #9042

Here is the thing ambient is like the worlds largest softbox. I refuse to use reflectors and scrims, so I have to use flash to balance out the darks/shadows. So it can be the background or the subject i might be lighting or both.

I AM SHOM

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 25, 2014 09:45 as a reply to  @ abbadon31's post |  #9043

Good point!! Out of interest I have the Quadra 18cm reflector, wondering if you had any examples of using either the 18cm reflector or the standard one that ships with the heads??

abbadon31
Goldmember
4,927 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Feb 25, 2014 09:58 |  #9044

Here is with a stock reflector on a quadra

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6086/6149402470_7d1c25fd6d_z.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8405/8673597033_fe6f951b33_c.jpg

I AM SHOM

dbeugel
523 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 25, 2014 10:05 |  #9045

Great!!!!!! :) thanks Scott, I also got two of the 90 degree 24cm Varistar reflectors, so I'm going to see how they rock outside too :)

sponsored links

1,087,955 views & 98 likes for this thread
Elinchrom Users Only (Mark IV)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.