Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 19 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PNY vs SanDisk..

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 22, 2014 11:07 |  #16

I have had SD cards from Kingston, Patriot, PNY, Sandisk &Transcend over the years. None have failed (maybe I'm lucky). My rule of thumb for today's prices, never pay more than $1 per Gig.

Jim
Gear List

MuahMan
287 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 22, 2014 13:27 |  #17

In case anyone cares. I just went through this. I bought two 128 PNY Elite 95 meg/s and two 64 Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 meg/sec. On a Core i7 with a USB 3 UHS-1 reader the PNY was sligthly faster on average at around 55 meg/s. The Sandisk was 47 meg/s.

Bodies: Sony A7, Canon 6D,Canon G15/ Glass Zeiss 16-35, Zeiss 135, Zeiss FE 55 1.8, FE 35 2.8, FE 24-70 F4 OSS,

Keyan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 23, 2014 18:21 |  #18

MuahMan wrote in post #16709076 (external link)
In case anyone cares. I just went through this. I bought two 128 PNY Elite 95 meg/s and two 64 Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 meg/sec. On a Core i7 with a USB 3 UHS-1 reader the PNY was sligthly faster on average at around 55 meg/s. The Sandisk was 47 meg/s.

Read or write speed? Honestly in camera buffer clearing is all I care about.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 24, 2014 08:01 |  #19

Keyan wrote in post #16711832 (external link)
Read or write speed? Honestly in camera buffer clearing is all I care about.

Canon has been notorious for not taking the speed of the SD card interface seriously, with their cameras being unable to take advantage of the speed available in the fastest cards. Did they change that with the 70D?

Tom

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 24, 2014 11:20 |  #20

Bearmann wrote in post #16706513 (external link)
I should have said may sell off the lower end cards because I have no idea what Sandisk actually does. Somewhat similar to Green Giant green beans versus store branded green beans. They may have come off the same farm, but are not necessarily the same quality, but they may be the same quality. You just don't know. The buyer (store branded) would specify what quality they want and are willing to pay for.

That is a better way to state it, but it should also be pointed out that you (I assume) have no idea what PNY actually does, either.

There are several suppliers of flash memory IC's, so buying rejects from Sandisk is far from the only option for competitors. Plus, Sandisk is generally able to command a higher price due to their brand name. This creates room for competitors to offer equal quality at a lower price as well, assuming they are willing to accept a lower margin than Sandisk enjoys. All this to say that binning may have nothing to do with PNY (or Kingston or Transcend or ... ) offering SD cards at a lower price than Sandisk.

I have direct experience with CMOS IC design and production, so I know about so-called "binning". It should be pointed out that this sorting is also done at the top, not just at the bottom. IOW, screening out parts that EXCEED performance specifications for special applications. E.g. a CMOS FAB process that is spec'ed for parts that work over the -40 to +85 C temperature range. These can (and sometimes are) sorted to find parts that operate to spec at -55 C for applications in the arctic. Obviously, doing this is costly AND it skews the curve for the remaining parts.

As someone else pointed out, "binned" parts generally work functionally, they are perhaps just slower than the specification for the parts, hence they are screened out and sold off at a lower price.

Tom

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
PNY vs SanDisk..
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.