Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 23 Feb 2014 (Sunday) 14:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Extension tubes pricing

cleewag
37 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 23, 2014 14:04 |  #1

I am ready to take the plunge into macro using extension tubes.
I use a 60D with a variety of lenses.
I am finding that there are basically two choices when it comes to rings with fully auto functionality. Those two being Canon and Kenko, which are quite pricey.
I have stumbled across a third-party 3 ring set on fleaBay for a third of what the exact same thing in Kenko costs, and would like some(any) input about their quality.

If I may, here is the link for them:
http://www.ebay.com …Tubes&hash=item​3a8173cef1 (external link)

As can be seen in the listing photos, they have metal mount plates and decent looking electrical connections just like the Kenko ones. Why would anybody pay $190 for Kenko, when those are available for $61??

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated...

sponsored links
CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 23, 2014 18:33 |  #2

There is also one branded as Vivitar for about the same price point. It looks like this:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1348124

They work and can offer enjoyable results as an introduction to macro photography without the expense of a dedicated macro lens. The difference between the more expensive extension tubes is primarily overall image quality and build quality. These tubes with their own lens elements reduce the amount of light passing through, causing softer focus and some vignetting. Less light also means auto-focus is more difficult in low light situations. Auto-focus for macro work is often not effective anyway, but on the sharper Canon or Kenko lenses will offer more utility. Still, flowers and bugs look pretty cool if that's what you are after.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Feb 23, 2014 18:59 |  #3

CAPhotog wrote in post #16711854 (external link)
There is also one branded as Vivitar for about the same price point. It looks like this:
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1348124

They work and can offer enjoyable results as an introduction to macro photography without the expense of a dedicated macro lens. The difference between the more expensive extension tubes is primarily overall image quality and build quality. These tubes with their own lens elements reduce the amount of light passing through, causing softer focus and some vignetting. Less light also means auto-focus is more difficult in low light situations. Auto-focus for macro work is often not effective anyway, but on the sharper Canon or Kenko lenses will offer more utility. Still, flowers and bugs look pretty cool if that's what you are after.

Extension tubes don't have any optics. They just move your existing lens further away from the camera (same as turning the focusing ring does, only more extreme. So the only difference will be build quality. Just remember, you may be hanging a fairly expensive (and heavy) object at either end of the tube; you really don't want to find out the hard way that the tubes you bought aren't up to the load.

You will lose light with any extension tube, but that's because increasing the distance between the lens and the sensor plane changes the actual f/stop (your marked f/ stop is only the "correct" reading when your lens is at infinity, but for "normal" use the change in f/stop is negligible). The actual f/stop you'll see with tubes or macro lens is (fl+ext)/(aperture opening). So a 50 mm f/1.8 lens with 32 mm of extension tubes on it will give you a working aperture of f/3.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 23, 2014 20:43 |  #4

Jon wrote in post #16711943 (external link)
Extension tubes don't have any optics.

Yep, you are right. I was incorrectly referring to an extender or teleconverter rather than extension tubes... the one in the link was even mine. :oops:

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,346 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 23, 2014 21:06 |  #5

CAPhotog wrote in post #16712197 (external link)
Yep, you are right. I was incorrectly referring to an extender rather than extension tubes... the one in the pic was even mine.

You mean teleconverter? Your picture is of a set of extension tubes.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 23, 2014 21:12 |  #6

Right pic, wrong answer.

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2014 07:51 |  #7

FWIW, I also bought a set from ebay. They appear to be the same set as the OP linked. But are even less expensive. See this: http://www.ebay.com …Tubes&hash=item​4acb4df6f1 (external link)
They take about two weeks to come in from China, had no problems with the seller.

They fit great on my 60D, each rings fit is perfect (not to loose, not to snug). The bodies are plastic as already indicated but appear to be very sturdy. I have no concerns about them breaking under the weight of my lenses. Full disclosure, I am not planning on using my 150-600 Tamron with them!

Jim
Gear List

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,520 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 24, 2014 11:09 |  #8

I have long discovered that my own interest in macro work is non-existent. So I use extension tubes merely to permit a bit closer focus distance than a lens' internal focus mechanism permits, but not macro work. As such, I decided to try a very inexpensive($50 set 13mm/21mm/31mm) no-name extension tube set which has the electrical pass-thru but COMPOSITE mount (not metal mounts). I have found theses to be more than satisfactory, and even if I stack all three they maintain continuity between lens and body!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,235 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 24, 2014 16:14 |  #9

Is that a tripod mount on the extension tubes?

IMAGE: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/D5MAAOxy0QtR8jeo/$(KGrHqJ,!lgFHPLvUVbwBR8jeohgCg~~60_3.JPG

IMAGE: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/dxwAAMXQS6pRvthx/$(KGrHqV,!nUFGmnr-JYDBRvth)CCwg~~60_3.JPG

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,346 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2014 16:17 |  #10

msowsun wrote in post #16714269 (external link)
Is that a tripod mount on the extension tubes?

Well, that's kinda different.

And no markings.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2014 20:18 |  #11

Yes, the set I linked to has the tripod mount on the two largest tubes. I have not used that function but it appears to be sturdy.

There is no brand name, even on the box they come in. The tubes (13mm, 20mm & 36mm) are marked EF/EFS Electronic Macro Extension Tube and electric continuity is good using one, two or all three tubes between lens and camera.

Jim
Gear List

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,554 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 24, 2014 20:24 |  #12

they also sell the quick release tripid mounts if needed - same company
http://www.ebay.com …&ttype=price&ta​lgo=origal (external link)

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,663 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 24, 2014 21:29 |  #13

If using heavy lenses, use the Lens Tripod Collar if available.

I bought my daughter a set of Xit XTECT Brand for EF/EF-S for about $50 and am well pleased with the quality of the metal mounts, releases and fit and finish. Vivitar appears to be the same unit as the style f the release tabs is the same.

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 24, 2014 21:50 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

cleewag wrote in post #16711215 (external link)
[...] Why would anybody pay $190 for Kenko, when those are available for $61??

Any and all thoughts will be greatly appreciated...

Because there are certain rings that spontaneously detach and either the camera or the lens ends up on the ground, with varying degrees of damage.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 24, 2014 22:57 |  #15

^^ Which ones?

Jim
Gear List

sponsored links

2,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extension tubes pricing
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.