Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 07:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T5i being shipped but already feeling I should have ordered 60d. Help!

kezug
790 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 25, 2014 07:51 |  #1

Ok, I current have a G12, I shoot nearly all my shots in M or in Av if not in M. I push this camera to the limits by taking star trail shots, light painting shots, high speed shutter shots (capturing water droplets) and then take normal shots of family, pets, friends, etc... I have longed for a DSLr for years and finally, got enough scratch together to order one.

So, with that said, I am no pro, but I do like to read, research, practice and learn/implement all sorts of techniques.

I have been watching the Tni series cameras for awhile. I believe the T3i was out when I took notice, but at the time, was not ready to order one yet.

Now is the time...the T5i is on its way with the 18-55 IS STM lens as I ordered it on Saturday.

However, and even before I ordered, the 60d has been on my list as an option.

The T5i from Amazon, with the lens was 699, pretty sweet deal. I know the 60d (esp refurbished) will only be about 100 or so more (not much really).

And now I sit, waiting but thinking I should have ordered the 60d instead.

Ugh!

The reviews on the kit STM lens for the T5i have been outstanding for kit lens.

If, IF, I return and get the 60d, is it worth putting the STM lens on the 60d or should I get the kit lens that comes with the 60d?

Or should I not regret and stick with the T5i?

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

sponsored links
hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 25, 2014 08:20 |  #2

As someone who shoots in manual mode, you would very much appreciate the rear control wheel on the 60D that is very noticeably absent on the T5i, not to mention the top LCD and extra buttons that offer much more out-of-menu control. The T5i is a great camera - the best Rebel ever so far - but its controls are still Rebel, which to someone like you would probably be at least an annoyance.

Actually, after taking a look at the G12, you're not just going from one button-backed camera to another, you're actually losing the rear wheel. Assuming it acts like the rear wheel on an SLR, I think you'll find manual control without a rear wheel excessively frustrating. If you shot all the time in Av or Tv, I'd say it won't make much of a difference, but if you really do shoot mostly in M, you'll miss that wheel.

The T5i has some things that 60D doesn't, of course. Touch screen, for one. Stereo microphones for another, if video interests you. They share the same sensor, so each one will take photos comparable to the other.

It's the controls that separate the two, and the 60D has it, where the T5i just doesn't. There's not a thing at all wrong with the T5i nor with how it performs...but in your case, I think you'd find the 60D to be more suited to your style.

Sorry to validate your wavering. :(

As to the lens - the 18-55mm STM is a solid lens, but its biggest selling point over what a 60D comes with is silence. Unless you're recording video with autofocus (the 60D can't do that, just the 70D), that's not going to really matter. You're also going to have to return it with the T5i anyway, yes?

I also have the 60D's kit lens (18-135mm IS; non-STM) and it is a solid, versatile lens. In a perfect world, I'd recommend you get the 60D refurb plus an 18-135mm STM, which is silent, versatile and capable of great images. You can find solid deals on the STM and IS versions. I got my IS used for dirt cheap from Adorama. There is one in stock in E+ condition (same as mine) right now for $234 (external link). Full disclosure, mine has lens creep when pointed down at a sharp angle, but was otherwise in perfect condition.

As it is a kit lens, you can also get the 18-135mm STM for very reasonable prices from people dumping their kit lenses on e-bay. Had I not already gotten the IS, I'd have gone for the STM in a heartbeat. They're selling for ~$330; see if this link works (external link).

EDIT - +1 to MakisM1 below - if you do much video, the T5i would probably suit you better; but for still photography, the 60D is the clear winner.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2014 08:23 |  #3

I am not familiar with the T5i but I think it is better than the 60D for video. The 60D has better ergonomics (top LCD, two dials, bigger camera, higher FPS?).

If you use your G12 for video, then video is not a consideration and the 60D is probably a better choice. I still use mine.

I don't think that the price penalty for the 18-55 STM vs non-STM is significant and my understanding is that the STM is a new and better optical design. I'd buy it... Actually the 18-135 STM would be a more versatile choice, unless you see a 55-250 STM in your future :)

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

JoseCanseco
689 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 25, 2014 15:00 |  #4

I've had the T4i for a year now, and seeing the decrease in 60D prices, I'm thinking of making a switch. With the 70D shipping, stores are selling off their 60D inventory at discount prices, and if I were to sell the T4i and the 60D's kit lens, the switch wouldn't cost much at all.

For me, it's the ergonomics. As MakisM1 mentioned, top LCD, two dials, bigger camera feels better in my hands... Go to the store and see which feels better to you. Ergonomics plays a big part in choosing a camera. The 60D does about the same FPS, but it has a bigger buffer, so it can shoot more continuous shots than the T5i. High ISO performance is about the same, you'll start noticing noise around 800ISO.

Here in Canada, there was a recent sale for the 60D kit with 18-200 lens for $799. That sale didn't last long, but if another one comes up I may jump on it.

At least since you bought from Amazon, you can have some time to play around with it before sending it back.

My name is Jeff, not actually Jose Canseco.
Website (external link) Facebook (external link) Flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,955 posts
Gallery: 2060 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 25, 2014 15:17 |  #5

Heya,

I think you're fussing over very little difference. It has the older processor (digic 4), less ISO, 5.3 FPS, still uses SD cards (not compact flash). 60D and T5i have the same autofocus, and the 700D (T5i) has 5FPS and Digic 5, higher ISO, touchscreen LCD.

The 60D is a great camera.
But the 700D is not that much different.

But that's because you're looking at the 60D today, instead of when it was released, and the Rebel line has advanced past it in the mean time.

If you really wanted to change things, I would suggest you return and save for the 70D, you gain more features.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,718 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 25, 2014 15:34 |  #6

Rebels are more than capable but they feel like complete crap once you use a XXD or XD body.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,714 posts
Joined May 2003

Feb 25, 2014 16:11 |  #7

Something else you might want to consider...the 60D with 18-135 IS is shown at $767 on Canon's website. If you take advantage of the Canon Loyalty Program the price would likely be around $613.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 25, 2014 16:39 |  #8

kezug,

The good thing here is you purchased the T5i from Amazon. It will be very easy to return it, if you so choose.

I agree with most everyone else. If you don't shoot video, the 60D is a very nice camera. If I were you, I'd either stick with one of the new STM kits lenses or buy a used 15-85 (that's what I did). I also started out with a G12 and moved to a DSLR after I shot the G12 for about a year and a half, learning digital photography.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 25, 2014 17:16 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I recently held my colleague's brand spanking new T5i and all I can say is it felt really really cheap. I was actually quite shocked by it.

The ovf is tiny and it feels like looking thru a narrow tunnel, the dials and buttons rattle and felt like they are going to drop out anytime.

IQ wise there are negligible difference, but ergonomics wise the 60D which I've owned in the past is miles ahead.

The twin dials and top LCD alone is worth the difference imo.

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,289 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 25, 2014 17:25 as a reply to  @ kin2son's post |  #10

Just keep on thinking, and you'll soon have a 1DX on its way...

Anders

Copper ­ NYC
397 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 25, 2014 17:56 |  #11

maverick75 wrote in post #16717070 (external link)
Rebels are more than capable but they feel like complete crap once you use a XXD or XD body.

ditto, and somehow the rebel feels like a joke. lol

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 25, 2014 18:29 |  #12

MalVeauX wrote in post #16717030 (external link)
Heya,

I think you're fussing over very little difference. It has the older processor (digic 4), less ISO, 5.3 FPS, still uses SD cards (not compact flash). 60D and T5i have the same autofocus, and the 700D (T5i) has 5FPS and Digic 5, higher ISO, touchscreen LCD.

The 60D is a great camera.
But the 700D is not that much different.

But that's because you're looking at the 60D today, instead of when it was released, and the Rebel line has advanced past it in the mean time.

If you really wanted to change things, I would suggest you return and save for the 70D, you gain more features.

Very best,

The Rebel has only passed by it for features that most photographers won't even use that much. When it comes to control usefulness and customization, there is simply no comparison. The 60D at about the same price as a Rebel is a steal.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 25, 2014 18:52 |  #13

Preeb wrote in post #16717459 (external link)
The Rebel has only passed by it for features that most photographers won't even use that much. When it comes to control usefulness and customization, there is simply no comparison. The 60D at about the same price as a Rebel is a steal.

+1, though I'll never steer anyone away from looking for a good deal on a 70D. ;)

Edit - The T5i is a fine camera, but it does feel a bit toy-like compared to am xxD camera. I couldn't believe how light it was when holding my mother in law's.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
790 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 25, 2014 21:24 as a reply to  @ hokiealumnus's post |  #14

I am very thankful for everyone's input.

Tonight, I went out to Best Buy, where they had both the T5i and 60d. I really hate those heavy duty spring like extension security cords!!! :mad: But I was able to hold and test out both the T5i and 60d (while ignoring the 70d as much as possible! its just out of my range)

Here are my observations.
1) the 60d rear wheel was slick...seemed hard to get my thumb to grip it to spin it. I liked that I could change Aperture while the front index finger wheel could change Shutter speed. However, in comparison to the T5i, I was able to do exactly the same but I had to press a button with my thumb+front wheel for Aperture and front wheel alone for Shutter. This was intuitive and natural to me. So this is a wash

2) the T5i did feel small and lightweight!. I liked the 60d size and feel.

3) the view finder, honestly, didnt feel that much bigger on the 60d

I am torn....the T5i arrives tomorrow...I may not even unbox it as I think this through.

Ugh...

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 25, 2014 21:38 |  #15

Send the T5i back. I have a T3i and 60d. Love both of them, and have taken great photos with both. If I had to pick one, it's hands down the 60d.

sponsored links

9,132 views & 0 likes for this thread
T5i being shipped but already feeling I should have ordered 60d. Help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.