Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Feb 2014 (Friday) 20:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Found my photo in a magazine, with no credit or permission

Drakeskakes
Goldmember
1,487 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 21, 2014 20:02 |  #1

I took a photo of a guy fishing a year ago. He asked me to email it to him as a favor and I did.
Today, I open a magazine and found the photo with it saying "Courtesy of XXXXXX" where his name was in the X.

What is going on here. Normally I would be stoked for the guy, but he's a bit of a snake in the fishing community.

Thanks. Please, cite any laws or facts if possible.

"Nobodys built like you....
.... You design yourself"
www.NeillDrake.com (external link)
Gripped 50D | 17-55 2.8 IS USM | Sigma 10mm 2.8 Fisheye | 100mm 2.8 Macro USM | Nifty Fifty | 430ex II | Timbuk2

sponsored links
TedEllis
Goldmember
4,534 posts
Gallery: 135 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 21, 2014 20:16 |  #2

Drakeskakes wrote in post #16707803 (external link)
I took a photo of a guy fishing a year ago. He asked me to email it to him as a favor and I did.
Today, I open a magazine and found the photo with it saying "Courtesy of XXXXXX" where his name was in the X.

What is going on here. Normally I would be stoked for the guy, but he's a bit of a snake in the fishing community.

Thanks. Please, cite any laws or facts if possible.

No contract....that''s the way it is

Ted
http://www.tedellispho​tography.com/ (external link)
There will be days when you get the shot(s) you missed days, months or years before.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
19,081 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 21, 2014 20:17 |  #3

This kind of question comes up often in the Business forum. Here's a recent example:

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1356551

If you post there, you'll get answers from people who know the laws and the facts as well as people who don't.

The fisherman owns the copy you gave him. He doesn't own the rights to the image. He may not have a reason to know the difference, but the magazine editor does have one.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

AlFooteIII
444 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 21, 2014 20:18 |  #4

A quick search on copyright infringement on this site should get you a wealth of information.

PS -- this should be in discussion, not photo sharing.

Specializing in Theatrical Photography. See my work at:
www.alfoote3photograph​y.com/ (external link)
www.facebook.com/alfoo​te3photography (external link)

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 21, 2014 21:27 |  #5

Contact the publication. They should know better than to blindly publish something like that.

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Czbrat271
611 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 22, 2014 08:58 |  #6

Make sure your copyright info appears in the metadata. Depending on the camera you have, you can have the camera do it.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,607 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 22, 2014 20:22 |  #7

Czbrat271 wrote in post #16708601 (external link)
Make sure your copyright info appears in the metadata. Depending on the camera you have, you can have the camera do it.

How would it help in this situation, where the OP found the image in a physical magazine?

Gearlist

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 22, 2014 20:26 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

kenwood33 wrote in post #16709762 (external link)
How would it help in this situation, where the OP found the image in a physical magazine?

A printed mag that was generated from digital files. Having the metadata embedded on the file is useful to prove ownership.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 23, 2014 12:01 |  #9

If it's obvious that the photo could not have been a "selfie" then the publication cannot claim ignorance either. They know damn well someone snapped it, and since they're a publication they also know damn well that the person who did so has the copyright.

Absent something in writing releasing or assigning that copyright they've got a problem. However, if you never registered the photo with the copyright office and there was no watermark you have a problem too, because while you can sue you can also only recover actual damages, which are likely small -- and the publication knows that too. In a print pub there's no continuing use (as on the web); in the web case a DMCA takedown notice is a fairly-decent sized club available to you that's not in a one-shot print situation.

The 900lb gorilla in the room is statutory damages but absent a watermark or registered copyright you can't get those - only actual damages. If you haven't already registered the photo you're "out of window" to be able to do it now.

(All US based here; YMMV if the publication is not a US one.)

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 25, 2014 11:06 |  #10

You have 90 days from the infringement to register the copyright, so go ahead and do it NOW. Metadata and watermark are irrelevant right now unless they removed a watermark.

https://asmp.org …-rights.html#.UwzNKvldV​hw (external link)

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2014 11:44 |  #11

Is this a different magazine and a different guy than the one you asked about here?
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1362269

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

tickerguy
595 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 25, 2014 11:47 |  #12

No:

If infringement of a published work begins before the work has been registered, the copyright owner can obtain the ordinary remedies for copyright infringement (including injunctions, actual damages and lost profits, as well as impounding and disposition of infringing articles). However, the owner cannot obtain special remedies (statutory damages and attorney’s fees) unless registration was made before the infringement commenced or within three months after first publication of the work.

That's the problem. The publication already happened and the photo is a year old, so it's out-of-window for registration to obtain statutory damages and, at least as important, fees and costs, which are a huge problem since they come out of your recovery. Further, if it's a trade magazine or similar the meaningful sales all happen within days of release, so impounding of infringing copies is of little harm to the publisher.

This is why that "every 90 day" disk sent in for registration with all your new work, while it has a small cost and hassle associated with it, is well worth the trouble.

Canon 7D & 5d3, EF-S 15-85, 24-105L, 70-200L f/4 IS, 100mm Macro/L, EF 50 f/1.4 and more

Liquidity
24 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 25, 2014 12:42 |  #13

tickerguy wrote in post #16710944 (external link)
If it's obvious that the photo could not have been a "selfie" then the publication cannot claim ignorance either. They know damn well someone snapped it, and since they're a publication they also know damn well that the person who did so has the copyright.

Unless the person used a tripod and a remote trigger (which is unlikely, but possible). I do understand what you are saying though.....

MattPharmD
255 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 25, 2014 15:40 |  #14

Question that might be relevant.

Does him giving a copy to the friend count as "publication?" If not, does the magazine count as the first publication, if he hasn't posted this online?

Photography is just a hobby for me.
Twitter: @PharmNerdMatt (external link)
Youtube:The PharmNerd (external link)

sponsored links

2,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
Found my photo in a magazine, with no credit or permission
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.