Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying and using Paypal Gift

Ta2edmom
186 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 25, 2014 10:33 |  #16

you can do a charge back through your CC company if you do not receive it.

Dee~ Canon Rebel XS gripped/Canon 60d gripped/ 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 75-300mm

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,659 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 25, 2014 10:46 |  #17

Ta2edmom wrote in post #16716270 (external link)
you can do a charge back through your CC company if you do not receive it.

It's extremely unlikely (though not impossible) that the PayPal gift money was charged to a credit card. That would defeat the purpose of using the gift option, because the sender has to pay the PayPal fee if they fund with a CC.

OP almost certainly funded with PayPal balance or savings/checking account, and has no recourse whatsoever. The whole point of doing a LEGITIMATE PayPal transaction is to have nice things like buyer protection and a CC chargeback option.

RHChan84
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 25, 2014 10:55 |  #18

Savings of $5-6 is not enough for me to not use regular paypal. At first it was saving $5-6 but not you are out $180.

Canon (60D Gripped | 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS | 40mm f2.8 | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 F4L IS| 430 EXII)
Tamron (17-50 f2.8 VC)
Feedback
Facebook (external link)

flickr (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 25, 2014 10:57 |  #19

gusnjax wrote in post #16716036 (external link)
Here is the original message he sent me:

Originally Posted by xxxxxx
I have a excellent condition 430 EXII that includes manual, receipt, original box and accessories from B&H. I can do $180 including shipping and PayPal fees. I never encountered any problems while using it with my 5D II. Feel free to give me a call or text xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Best Regards

Djon,

Bleeped out his number.

Since the seller didn't ask for the gift option, does that imply that you sent gift and reduced the purchase price by 3%?

I know money is money, but I'd rather have a higher level of peace of mind than try to save $5.40 on a $180 item.

My Gear

Ta2edmom
186 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 25, 2014 11:15 |  #20

Yeah since he said in the original message that included pp fees, I wouldn't have sent it gift at all. I'm kind of confused as to why you would go ahead and do that after he included a price that had the pp fees.

Dee~ Canon Rebel XS gripped/Canon 60d gripped/ 18-55mm, 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 75-300mm

adamo99
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 25, 2014 11:26 |  #21

I think this is the same board member that I had contact some time ago about buying a backup/spare 7D.

He would respond instantly to PMs, had a valid website, with a posted email address and telephone number in NY. We agreed to a price, but he would never answer the phone when I called.

PM'd a couple of days later, (you never know, things happen), and asked again. He said he had sold the 7D, but had a 6D, again replying very promptly to PMs. Once again though, would never answer the phone. That was a red flag for me, and I never sent any money.

I think you're out the money, sorry. I do think that if you don't see anything within the next 24 hours, you should out the member, so other people don't get burnt.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2014 11:28 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

KirkS518 wrote in post #16716073 (external link)
3 Posts, member for 2 weeks (as of today), and 2 of those posts were in response to WTB ads. Honestly, I think you should write this off as a lesson learned, and next time a seller wants it as gift, pay it the regular way, but add 3%. That way the seller ends up with the same amount as if you sent it gift, and you retain your protection.

You should remove his name, or the mods will remove this thread.

Ding, ding...correct. Paying with PayPal gifts isn't that bad if you know who you are dealing with. Still, new members without a good selling and posting records, this is a bad sign. Was his price so irresistible? Are people looking out for that ridiculous lowball deal and don't exercise the necessary precautions???

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2014 11:39 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

sarch99 wrote in post #16716190 (external link)
According to what you quoted the seller as saying, he didn't ask for Paypal gift.

"Here is the original message he sent me:

Originally Posted by xxxxxx
I have a excellent condition 430 EXII that includes manual, receipt, original box and accessories from B&H. I can do $180 including shipping and PayPal fees......"

I know this won't help you get your item, but I'm curious as to why you used Paypal gift option. I hope the flash arrives soon. I can pretty much guarantee Paypal won't help you. I mistakenly sent $200 to a stranger by using an incorrect email address. I realized it within minutes, and the recipient had already accepted the payment. Paypal just said sorry.

More than likely the OP is trying to save few dollars and the seller decided to accept PP gift.

BTW, I receive PP gifts as payment all the time in another message board selling aquarium plants. The dollar amount is generally from $20 to $50. Of course, I have to be a really bad person to scam someone over some aquarium plants...heheheh

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Ta2edmom
186 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 25, 2014 11:44 |  #24

TooManyShots wrote in post #16716461 (external link)
More than likely the OP is trying to save few dollars and the seller decided to accept PP gift.

BTW, I receive PP gifts as payment all the time in another message board selling aquarium plants. The dollar amount is generally from $20 to $50. Of course, I have to be a really bad person to scam someone over some aquarium plants...heheheh

I've been scammed over childrens clothing lol

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,119 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 25, 2014 11:48 |  #25

#1. You paying via PayPal gift, PayPal will not help you in anyway.
#2. If you paid via PayPal gift, no address is provided to seller. So you had to provide him your address manually.
#3. Since its PayPal gift, there is no option for you to enter tracking number in the transaction since it wasn't for goods.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter

slookx24
233 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 25, 2014 12:01 |  #26

Paying via Paypal gift is just a terrible idea when buying anything over the internet, but especially when it comes to expensive photography equipment. I''ve bought/sold guitars and golf clubs on other forums and a lot of websites have policies where sellers are not even allowed to ask for Paypal gift payments. I think that is the way to go, but you never know with a fool and his money.

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Feb 25, 2014 14:48 |  #27

I think it's unfortunate that the majority of FS listings require an extra percentage to use regular PayPal. I wish that POTN would prohibit this practice.

(In other words I agree with the poster immediately above.)

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

daleg
664 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Feb 25, 2014 17:32 |  #28

just filed a paypal claim for an item purchased on February 7 (paid by regular paypal). I had posted a WTB listing in the "Classifieds: Buy" section of this forum. The prospective seller contacted me via PM with an offer to sell.

Said prospective seller was (is) a new member at PotN (as am I - pretty much - though I have dozens of posts over 5 or 6 months, and numerous purchases). Seller is on Staten Island, NYC, NY and had about 3 posts (no telling how many PM's &/or WTB's he harvested). Seller also provided a working phone number - as we had a pre-sale phone conversation. After paying Seller, he never again answered my numerous phone calls. NOT ONCE.

He promised to notify when shipped - NEVER HAPPENED.
He promised to provide tracking number - NEVER HAPPENED.
However - tracking number did appear in paypal history - BUT - USPS says item never delivered as they have no record of receiving it for shipment.

Anyone curious about this seller, send me a PM and I will privately identify the seller. I'm not sure doing so publicly is appropriate.

Bottom Line = Caveat Emptor!! and ALSO - nixnay on the PayPal Gift.

Despite the assertions of my CFO/better-half, gear purchases are NOT GIFTS. PayPal gifts leave the buyer with no recourse via PayPal - which is NOT a good idea (if you're the buyer).

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 25, 2014 19:06 |  #29

daleg wrote in post #16717331 (external link)
Anyone curious about this seller, send me a PM and I will privately identify the seller. I'm not sure doing so publicly is appropriate.

I'd say that once someone shows themselves to be a scam artist they should be publicly identified along with any other possible way to ID them (as it isn't difficult to obtain another user ID).

duane0524
Goldmember
4,840 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 25, 2014 19:36 |  #30

Gusnjax I hope I am wrong, but I think you just learned a $180 lesson. Threads like this need to be shared and viewed by all. Always use regular paypal and always fund with a credit card, that is the only way to be protected from those that want to scam us.

Canon 50D | Canon 17-55 | Sigma 30 1.4 | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II| Canon 85 1.8 | 430EXII| 580EX ll | ST-E2 | Canon TC 1.4x II | Benro Travel Angel C1682TB0

sponsored links

9,282 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying and using Paypal Gift
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.