Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Feb 2014 (Monday) 08:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D2 vs Canon 6D

philodelphi
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2008

Feb 25, 2014 10:02 |  #31

sardines wrote in post #16716112 (external link)
A little bit OOT here, and I am not aiming at any particular person, I mean no offense, just a simple request to whoever would like to...

I keep reading people say they have successfully shot the 6D or 5D2 in a WEDDING/low light conditions and/or BIF .... may I ask what settings you used...

Of course it is the person behind the camera which plays the most important role of taking a picture, but based on my own experience, the GEAR will have an impact as too, especially with the "keeper" rate.

PICTURES would help ...

Many thanks

I agree. And with the 6D, I can shoot at a wedding with ISO3200, something I'd never do with the 5D2. Here's an example:

IMAGE: http://www.davidbalick.com/Professional/JillieAndEric/i-DCfBqKr/0/L/_MG_4961-L.jpg

Sony DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 24mm f/1.4 GM | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo EF 135mm f/2L USM EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

MrPhejEjHmoob
96 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 25, 2014 12:07 |  #32

If you're coming from a 60D, T3i then yes the 6D would make sense, you won't need to get a whole new line up of memory cards. For anyone coming from other cameras other than 60D or the Rebels, the 5D2 or 5D3 would work better because it both uses CF cards versus SD cards. Unless you don't mind spending money to change your entire memory line up.

Gears:
Canon G11, 5D, 5D Mark 2, 50 F/1.4, 16-35 F/2.8L, 24-70 F/2.8L, 70-200 F/2.8L, Canon ST-E3, Canon Speedlite 580EX x2

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 25, 2014 12:13 |  #33

Both are more than capable. 6D has more sensitive center AF point, 1 stop better ISO, WIFI and GPS, smaller body, lighter. 5D2 has higher sync speed, high shutter speed, and joy stick vs. pad. You can't go wrong with either.

With that being said, I had a 5D2 for 2 years, and switched to the 6D last year, I switched for WIFI alone which is invaluable to how I shoot. If you don't need high ISO or WIFI/GPS look for a 5D2 if you can find it cheaper than a new 6D.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

garym5
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 01, 2014 14:07 |  #34

After testing the 6D today in store wanting to know was it any better than my 5D MK II - I can happily say that the autofocus points on the outer areas are top notch. I have come from using both the 1st 5D classic then a 1D MK III then upgrading the 5D to the MK II.
I was in a dimly lit area and was able to get perfect sharp shots moving fast on the outer points with the 50mm 1.4 with no problems at all. I was actually shocked how precise the focus was.
The 5D would have had a hard time for sure.
I'll definitely be trading my 5D II for this camera. I shot at 6400 and it was a good step above the MK II. The sync speed is not a let down for me considering I shoot most of my off camera flash shots at 180th max on the 5D anyways.
Maximum shutter speed is 1/4000th - I just checked through my metadata in Lightroom over the last 8 yrs and I have 11 pictures that have been between 1/6000th - 1/8000th of a sec. All were because of higher ISO's.
It was also ergonomically better also as I have smaller hands.I could easily get used to having no joystick for selecting focus point.
The one thing that concerns me is this whole thing I've read about SD cards failing over CF cards? Can anyone elaborate on this? I would probably be buying top end Sandisk or Lexar SD's with the fastest write speeds if I did change bodies - Would there still be a chance of failure??

Canon 5D MK II - EF24mm 2.8 IS - EF50mm 1.4 - EF85mm 1.8 - EF200mm 2.8 II L
www.Reactivestills.com (external link)

michgirl
Goldmember
1,308 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 16, 2014 07:58 |  #35

Great thread and lots of good information provided. I sold my 5d II this week and ordered the 6d/24-105mm combo (after returning the 70d/17-55mm combo). I mainly wanted to go lighter and a little better focus system. As I only am familiar with the 5d ii, I am sure I won't be disappointed with the AF.

Looking forward to giving it a try.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7,584 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D2 vs Canon 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.