Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 01:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 24-105mm Lens Creep Issue

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 25, 2014 01:43 |  #1

Is this an issue with recent versions of the lens? I recall it being the case a couple of years ago, but have noticed my 24-105 has begun to creep down (zoom out) when at certain angles aiming up (I have no idea if it zooms out while facing down).

I looked through Canon's website to do a repair, and it seems as if I'm supposed to package and ship the lens on my own, even with it being under warranty.

Is that normal? Just about anything electronic I've ever owned they've shipped a box and everything to me so it was properly packaged. Am I doing something wrong? Or is Canon cheap like that?

If I have to buy stuff, what exactly do you suggest sending it in so that it's protected? Do they reimburse the cost?

sponsored links
SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 25, 2014 13:46 |  #2

I keep looking around and it looks like they don't offer the shipping service, which again is disappointing when you pay so much for something.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to ship the lens. As far as protection goes. Would like to make sure it's protected on the way there and back.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,202 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 25, 2014 13:49 |  #3

Pack it in bubble wrap two layers then enough newspaper crumpled to fill the the corners of whatever box you ship it in. The key is to make sure you have sufficient insurance to cover the potential loss. Contact canon for a service request before you send it.

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 25, 2014 14:03 |  #4

Yeah I just filled it out. I hate the insurance stuff simply because USPS screwed me once. Will UPS/Fedex actually live up to the insurance or just give you whatever they feel is adequate?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,845 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 25, 2014 14:20 |  #5

ShutterAttack wrote in post #16715480 (external link)
Is this an issue with recent versions of the lens?

Yes. Mine is six months old and has just started zooming out when pointed down at the subject. I am a little disappointed.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

24Peter
813 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 25, 2014 22:06 |  #6

google 24-105 zoom creep
DYI fixes:
http://www.fredmiranda​.com …3/0?keyword=cre​ep#8584504 (external link)
http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/94624​7/0 (external link)

Canon 5D II, 70D, 28 1.8, 85 1.8, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 2X 430 EX II's, YN568EX
greatproductshots.com (external link)
superstarheadshots.com (external link)
peteralessandriaphotog​raphy.com (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,730 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 25, 2014 23:10 |  #7

Had it after owning the lens for a while. Sent it in for another reason and I had them adjust it. It was good for a while but it came back. I wish I had better news.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,639 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 26, 2014 00:04 |  #8

You should see this 28-135 I have. Point it facing down, lens fully zooms out. Point it up, lens fully zooms in. Not slowly either.

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 26, 2014 00:08 as a reply to  @ the flying moose's post |  #9

wrap a rubber band around it. fixed.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

sponsored links

1,856 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 24-105mm Lens Creep Issue
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.