Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 24 Feb 2014 (Monday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Step in the right direction.......I hope.

TSmith8779
298 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 24, 2014 09:51 |  #1

http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com …-end-compact-camera-game/ (external link)

Canon 6D & 7D. Panasonic GX85 and a number of ever changing lenses.

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 24, 2014 10:17 |  #2

I'd be concerned "On top of that, we may not see the major innovations and risks taken by the company that we saw from 2008 on for a while. When the company was first producing the 5D Mk II, announcing the 7D and 1D X, and making the Rebels better than previous generations it was a much more exciting time."

EtherealZee
364 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 25, 2014 16:02 |  #3

Thing is, they can't afford to be too conservative. with the likes of Sony releasing cameras like the A6000, at about $600, you can't keep rehashing the same old tech with minor upgrades.

Well, you can, for a while, but seriously, the biggest thing Canon has right now, IMHO, is lenses - both native and aftermarket. You just can't match it, and if they somehow create an adapter/lens combo that comes close to matching an XXD for focusing speed...

Anyway, I would prefer they release nothing until they make their next big leap in sensor/throughput tech. Until then... I needed an excuse to have a small mirrorless set up anyway...
Z...

pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 02, 2014 17:32 |  #4

I don't understand why they would do that. Look around at a lot of people who take it up (dslr shooting) they mostly seem to start with a rebel then move on. The fact they can buy what they consider to be a decent SLR for a cheap price is what brings them in in the first place. If canon don't have one, the guy in the store will prob steer them to another brand that does cater for these customers. Then it's prob a customer canon has lost for life.

I liken it to motorcycles in a way (because that's the industry I'm into) kids buy, say a kawasaki, quite often they stick with the same brand as they have an attachment to the brand all their lives. Lose that ability and you often lose sales for years after, not too mention their kids later on. I'm a Yamaha fan for no other reason than my dad and uncles used to ride them, and it was my first bike.

If you can get someone "hooked" on Canon gear as a kid/n00b, then even moreso you can lock them in because with cameras you have to buy lenses. Once you have a bunch of lenses it's a big pain to sell it all off and go another brand.

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 02, 2014 18:23 |  #5

They're not getting out of the Rebel market, they're getting out of the <200$ point and shoot market.

pixelbasher
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 02, 2014 19:48 |  #6

ah my bad, I glanced it and the pic threw me!

yeah I can see the point of that I guess. Most people I know who take photos either use a DSLR or if they don't have one, a phone. The only person I know in my family who uses a point and shoot is the mother in law as she is past the whole smartphone thing, and no way would she want a DSLR.

50D. 7D. 24-105L. 100-400L. 135L. 50 1.8 Sigma 8-16
flickr

sponsored links

1,406 views & 0 likes for this thread
Step in the right direction.......I hope.
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.