Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
Thread started 18 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 11:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Before & After #508

Krottski
126 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 18, 2014 11:46 |  #1

The game will last 7 days and whoever can produce the best edited image (as judged by me) will be picked and it'll be their turn to post their unedited picture for all of us to take a crack at.

The participants must have their "Image Editing OK" turned on and they must provide at least a simple breakdown of how they edited the image, some entrants are a little vague on this point, please give us all details so we can learn and share tips. For instance if you use the unsharp mask tool or Smart Sharpen, provide us with the adjustments you used so others can try them out.

You can post multiple images, but the first image you post will be the one that is judged - all other images will be considered for knowledge and tip use only. Feel free to comment and/or ask questions at any time. This is a good competition for learning new methods, so let's make it a bit more dynamic. I will be judging edits, not comments. Feel free to comment on the original image as well.
If you happen to be the winner of the game please start the next one with the title of the game and the following number. For example…the next game should read "Before & After #509".

Submissions end, Tuesday, February 25th, 2014 at 5pm (EST) and a winner will be announced.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1294.photobuck​et.com …/IMG_8161_zps2d​d22878.jpg (external link)

Download RAW image here: https://www.dropbox.co​m …erb6rbevv57r/IM​G_8161.CR2 (external link)

Good luck. I am looking forward to what you guys come up with for this rather simple image.

Canon 60d - Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II - Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC - Thrifty 50
"I may be a noob but I make up for it with a complete lack of talent"

sponsored links
NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,624 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 18, 2014 16:57 |  #2

Great old camera. Here's my take. Adjusted exposure in Camera Raw, together with crop, clarity and vibrance. Lots of spot healing brush and cloning to tidy it up. Light painting in black and white and high pass sharpening

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 18, 2014 22:54 |  #3

IMAGE: http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp49/dougle/POTN/BA_Camera_508.jpg

Grabbed the jpeg from here. Duplicated layer, set to screen at 100% opacity.
Added 50% gray layer set to color at 100% opacity.
Added a curve layer to make a vintage creamy look.
Added a curve layer to increase contrast.
Made a snapshot of visible layers, added noise filter(uniform, 14.21%, monochrome) masked out some noise, set blend mode to Linear Light at 34% opacity.
Added a warming filter(85) at 42%, layer.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

T3 ­ Heavy ­ Shop
602 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 20, 2014 00:09 |  #4

In LR: brought out the darks some, reduced noise to smooth out the texture on the silver areas, reduced contrast, exported to PS

PS: cloned out lots of dust from the lens, used gradient map (rainbow colors) in the adjustment panel, used Silver Effects "low key" preset with extra structure to convert to B&W, cropped and resized

IMAGE: http://www.disposablepengun.com/postings/ftql.jpg

I've always been a photographer, but I haven't always had a camera.
6D MII, 7D MII, EOS-M50, EOS-M, 5D MII(IR 830), EOS-M(IR 720)

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 21, 2014 13:33 |  #5

Left handed-mahogany body (with ostrich grip). Also converted to Leica mount. :)

Mask and blend in leica lens with somewhat similar perspective. Blend mode>overlay the mahogany wood finish (after cutting them out with the sloppy quick selection tool) over all metal body parts. Reverse lettering and transform perspective on background image lettering. Reverse entire image (transform>horizontal). Find ostrich print and cut to fit grip. Dodge and burn, vignette, and desaturate green channel. Run through pixel bender to clean the edges (or grossly distort them...).

http://i1157.photobuck​et.com …/508final_zps11​df408a.jpg (external link)

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

frenchfx
402 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 22, 2014 11:40 |  #6

IMAGE: http://frenchfx.smugmug.com/photos/i-8vGT9vV/0/L/i-8vGT9vV-L.jpg
Cropped a bit
Converted to b&w
Added lens
Used NIK old photo
Applied several grunge layers to give it an old look.

My site Frenchfx.com | (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Feb 25, 2014 10:03 |  #7

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/lypq469wporhsp4/BeforeAfter.jpg

Cropped, rotated, and adjusted exposure curve and contrast in Lightroom
Distort -> Spherized 1966 Car photo for reflection on bottom layer
Masked lens glass area at 20% opacity
New top layer with image of slide, with the center masked to reveal the camera image
Added exaggerated Kodachrome effect by Image -> Mode -> LAB then in curves adjusting a and b channels

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Krottski
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 25, 2014 16:01 as a reply to  @ cacawcacaw's post |  #8

Another week of great edits and a tough decision.

I really like the work that Dawicka2 did...not even sure how you came up with that...borderline creative genius.

I also really liked the edit done by cacawcacaw, especially the subtle reflection in the lens itself.

NigelD, Douglas and T3 Heavy Shop took a very classic approach to the challenge and I think it worked extremely well with the subject matter.

I am picking frenchfx as this weeks winner. I kept looking at all the edits and kept coming back to his. It has this vintage rock n' roll album cover feel to it that I really like.

Looks like frenchfx gets to pick the next subject. Looking forward to seeing what is next.

By the way, the subject camera was my Dad's first major camera purchase. I believe this camera went with him to Vietnam. The camera is in great shape and I am sure would still take great pictures. Here was my finished product for this image that will likely get framed and given to my Dad as a gift:

http://i1294.photobuck​et.com …8161-Edit_zps68a4fdb1.jpg (external link)

Canon 60d - Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II - Tamron 17-50 F2.8 VC - Thrifty 50
"I may be a noob but I make up for it with a complete lack of talent"

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
7,451 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 25, 2014 16:26 |  #9

Nice work, Frenchie. Well done.

Some really good work again this week. The bar keeps getting raised. No PS slouches here.

Mark J.
Gear

Dawicka2
398 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 25, 2014 17:35 |  #10

Nice work, everyone.

Great work, frenchfx!! Real classic feel to the image.
Congrats.
Looking forward to 509. Curious to see what frenchfx comes up with. :)

Magic lantern'd T2i, a 1d2n, 15-85, rokinon 8 and 85mm, nikon 55 f1.2, sigma 24mm f1.8 and Tokina 400mm creeperPrime.

frenchfx
402 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 25, 2014 17:42 |  #11

Thanks Krottski, I was going for an old vintage look. Still didn't think I had a chance with all the other great edits.
Thanks M_Six, "Frenchie", Now, I haven't heard that one since high school, A couple good friends use to call me that.

Next one will be up here shortly.

frenchfx
402 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 25, 2014 17:49 |  #12

Thanks Dawicka2, the next one is up. It's a landscape taken at Bernheim Forest close to my home.

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,773 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 25, 2014 18:40 |  #13

Congrats Frenchie! and Great edits everyone.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

NigelD
Cream of the Crop
6,624 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 26, 2014 04:21 |  #14

Great edits this week again - congrats Frenchie (got to change your user name now!)

Nigel
http://nigeldaltonphot​ography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,961 views & 0 likes for this thread
Before & After #508
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.