Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Feb 2014 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any dumb triggers that are compatible with PW Mini TT1?

ay ­ jayy
61 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 24, 2014 10:35 |  #1

I have the PW Mini TT1 and I use it to fire 2 speedlights mounted on Flex TT5 receivers. I want to trigger a 3rd light with just a dumb trigger. Fully manual control, and I don't want to pay the premium for a 3rd TT5. Do I have any options?

-Anthony
http://www.asekellickp​hoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link)

sponsored links
bhursey
439 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2014 10:50 |  #2

ay jayy wrote in post #16713402 (external link)
I have the PW Mini TT1 and I use it to fire 2 speedlights mounted on Flex TT5 receivers. I want to trigger a 3rd light with just a dumb trigger. Fully manual control, and I don't want to pay the premium for a 3rd TT5. Do I have any options?

optical slave trigger that ignores pre flash?

Cameras: Canon 60D and 20D
Canon EF lens used : 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5, 75-300mm f/4.5-5, 85mm f/1.8, 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)Strobist: Canon 580EX II , 2X YN-568EX, Nikon SB-24, LP-160, Pixel Mago, 4x Cactus RF60 , Voeloon V760 and 331EX, 4x YN622C and (cactus v4, v5, V6)"
http://flickr.com/phot​os/bhursey (external link) | http://brianhurseyphot​ography.com (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 24, 2014 18:15 |  #3

Regular Pocket Wizards will work. Takes some setup in the TT1 firmware utility.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

ay ­ jayy
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 25, 2014 10:53 |  #4

^ yeah, i think the plusX is the only other option that I've found. it's less than half the price of the TT5, so not bad.

-Anthony
http://www.asekellickp​hoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 25, 2014 10:56 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Plus X FTW. But make sure your 3rd light can be plugged in to it.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 25, 2014 11:36 |  #6

I use the Mini TT1 with Flex TT5s and older Plus IIs often. I don't recall any special setup for the Plus II since they are manual only. If you can't connect a sync cord to your third light or don't want to, a digital optical slave will work. A digital slave ignores the pre-flash as someone mentioned. I have the Morris DS-1 ($30) which works, although the instructions printed overseas were terrible, so I had to call the US based company for the right setting. Seagull is another brand that makes such a digital slave ($15) but I haven't tried that one.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …34996&Q=&is=REG​&A=details (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 25, 2014 17:28 |  #7

CAPhotog wrote in post #16716450 (external link)
I use the Mini TT1 with Flex TT5s and older Plus IIs often. I don't recall any special setup for the Plus II ...

My recollection is that it had something to do with making sure the TT1 was signaling on a channel that the Plus II recognized since the ControlTL channel capabilities was greater.

Could also be faulty memory. :-)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

ocabj
Goldmember
1,120 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 25, 2014 21:46 |  #8

I do this often (e.g. two Einsteins with PowerMC2 for background or rim, with a manual Alien Bee or two for key and fill).

A TT1/TT5 on the hot shoe will transmit on two channels at the same time, one Control-TL and one standard channel.

A TT5 (or PowerMC2) will receive only on one channel type at any given moment in time, either Control-TL or standard.

Thus, in your situation you can set your hotshoe TT1 or TT5 to transmit on for instance Control-TL 11 and standard 4. Then your two Speedlites on TT5 receivers will listen on Control-TL 11 and you can have the third light plugged into a Plus I/II/III listening on standard 4.

Jonathan Ocab - https://www.ocabj.net (external link) - http://jocabphoto.com (external link)

CAPhotog
334 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 25, 2014 21:59 |  #9

dmward wrote in post #16717323 (external link)
My recollection is that it had something to do with making sure the TT1 was signaling on a channel that the Plus II recognized since the ControlTL channel capabilities was greater.

Could also be faulty memory. :-)

Could very well be or depend which version of firmware was included. I just don't recall doing anything special to get them to work. As for memory, I sometimes wonder if for everything new I learn today, does something else get left behind?

Strobo
104 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 26, 2014 00:16 |  #10

CAPhotog wrote in post #16717934 (external link)
Could very well be or depend which version of firmware was included. I just don't recall doing anything special to get them to work. As for memory, I sometimes wonder if for everything new I learn today, does something else get left behind?

As you say don't have to do anything special to get them to work. The configuration utility allows you to set Control TL and Standard channels if you want to use something different than the defaults. On mine, for example, I've changed the Standard channel to 18, that way I can use the PWIII's in Quad Zone triggering.

sponsored links

1,209 views & 0 likes for this thread
Any dumb triggers that are compatible with PW Mini TT1?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.