Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying and using Paypal Gift

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,333 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 25, 2014 19:43 |  #31

jrbdmb wrote in post #16716945 (external link)
I think it's unfortunate that the majority of FS listings require an extra percentage to use regular PayPal. I wish that POTN would prohibit this practice.

(In other words I agree with the poster immediately above.)

i doubt they'll do that...they've said they won't

the thing i wonder is if it's possible to have a member have to have a certain number of posts/wait a certain number of days to get in to the WTB ads...it's the obvious place to go for a scammer...it'd be nice to make it a bit more difficult for them to reply to ads...

sorry to hear you used gift...i've never used it to pay for anything, it just doesn't seem worth it

i don't think a working phone number really means much...can't you buy pay as you go phones at 7-11 nowadays?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 25, 2014 22:57 |  #32

Contact your bank and tell them about the transaction. You can say it was an unauthorized transaction. They could do a charge back from paypal and paypal would go after the "seller."

Some of my feedback

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,667 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 25, 2014 23:54 |  #33

First, I don't let PayPal (or anyone else) have access to my bank accounts. I learned this through experience from a few unpleasant experiences with PayPal. I pay using a credit card, so if a mistake is made or fraud attempted I can dispute the charge without being out-of-pocket for any money while it is being resolved. Plus I get rewards points, which helps offset any fees.

Second, I only send money as a gift to people I personally know and trust. Everyone else either accepts it as a payment for merchandise or takes a walk. I will consider adding the 3% PayPal fee to my purchase price if I think the deal is worth it.

Third, I do not see anything in PayPal's terms and conditions that say a money sent to a friend or family cannot be reversed. Fraud is not limited to strangers or transfers of merchandise. I would contact PayPal asking them to reverse the transaction and if they refused, file a claim with your credit card issuer or bank. Even if PayPal decides not to help, your issuer or bank will not ignore a claim of fraud.

Forth, agreeing to sell an item and accepting money but not delivering is fraud, and when the Internet is used to negotiate the sale and make payment, this becomes a federal crime of interstate wire fraud, prosecuted by the US Department of Justice and investigated by the FBI. I don't know what the thresholds are, if any, but if all else fails it doesn't take a lot of effort to make a phone appointment to discuss your case with your state's District Attorney's office. Even if they don't prosecute they might help you identify the real person behind the scam so you can consider other action.

Fifth and finally, post negative feedback identifying the scammer to help others avoid future problems.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

DreDaze
18,333 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2014 00:02 |  #34

you're not allowed to post negative feedback here...

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 26, 2014 00:53 |  #35

DreDaze wrote in post #16718129 (external link)
you're not allowed to post negative feedback here...

really? man this place is...odd...

Some of my feedback

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 26, 2014 04:36 |  #36

The Gift thing is beyond ridiculous at this point. So many stories of people getting screwed yet so many people who can't loosen their grip on that 3%.

I've had numerous people pay me with Gift without even asking for it. They are just being "nice", like the OP in this case, apparently. I just sold a lens and the buyer said he would send Gift payment. I had to insist that he did not.

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,089 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 26, 2014 05:16 |  #37

mpix345 wrote in post #16718489 (external link)
The Gift thing is beyond ridiculous at this point. So many stories of people getting screwed yet so many people who can't loosen their grip on that 3%.

I've had numerous people pay me with Gift without even asking for it. They are just being "nice", like the OP in this case, apparently. I just sold a lens and the buyer said he would send Gift payment. I had to insist that he did not.

the WTB section is ridiculous also.

So many times I hear about people getting flakey people and/or screwed in there. stay away.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

moose10101
registered smartass
1,714 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 26, 2014 08:42 |  #38

hang your cross wrote in post #16718032 (external link)
Contact your bank and tell them about the transaction. You can say it was an unauthorized transaction. They could do a charge back from paypal and paypal would go after the "seller."

Right, and when the bank investigators find out that you lied, they close your accounts and possibly report you to law enforcement.

Got any more brilliant advice? How about this: DON'T USE PAYPAL GIFT IF IT ISN'T A GIFT.

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 26, 2014 09:28 |  #39

moose10101 wrote in post #16718840 (external link)
Right, and when the bank investigators find out that you lied, they close your accounts and possibly report you to law enforcement.

Got any more brilliant advice? How about this: DON'T USE PAYPAL GIFT IF IT ISN'T A GIFT.

:rolleyes:

Some of my feedback

groundloop
983 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 26, 2014 09:33 |  #40

Talley wrote in post #16718534 (external link)
the WTB section is ridiculous also.

So many times I hear about people getting flakey people and/or screwed in there. stay away.

I'd think it would be in the best interest of the owners of this site to put an end to transactions which use paypal gift payments. Sooner or later someone is going to get screwed and come after the website owners with a lawsuit. That lawsuit may or may not succeed, but it could still be costly to defend.

DreDaze
18,333 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 26, 2014 09:38 |  #41

groundloop wrote in post #16718977 (external link)
I'd think it would be in the best interest of the owners of this site to put an end to transactions which use paypal gift payments. Sooner or later someone is going to get screwed and come after the website owners with a lawsuit. That lawsuit may or may not succeed, but it could still be costly to defend.

how can they get rid of it? people send PM's all the time...it's impossible to get rid of...the best they can hope to do is inform the users

and i'm sorry, but they'd have no responsibility in a lawsuit...it's like someone suing craigslist because they got scammed

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

Duckhunter250
252 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 26, 2014 09:43 as a reply to  @ groundloop's post |  #42

Everyone use some common sense would be the best fix. IMHO

60D|EF-S 18-55IS|EF-S 55-250IS|EF-S 18-135IS stm|EF 85-1.8|Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC |Tamron SP 70-300 Di VC USD | YN 465|Domke F-3x

moose10101
registered smartass
1,714 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2010

Feb 26, 2014 10:14 |  #43

hang your cross wrote in post #16718968 (external link)
:rolleyes:

Come back when you're older and you've learned to use your words.

hang ­ your ­ cross
707 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 26, 2014 12:45 |  #44

moose10101 wrote in post #16719089 (external link)
Come back when you're older and you've learned to use your words.

:rolleyes::cool:

Some of my feedback

Beachcomber ­ Joe
466 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 26, 2014 13:38 as a reply to  @ hang your cross's post |  #45

The OP chose to scam PayPal out of their fee by using the gift option to pay for goods. In turn the seller scammed the OP. Poetic justice.

sponsored links

10,198 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying and using Paypal Gift
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.