Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jan 2014 (Tuesday) 07:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70D focus issue & blurred pictures

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 25, 2014 20:28 as a reply to  @ post 16717565 |  #76

jaromire wrote in post #16716171 (external link)
This is very disappointing, I have similar AF issues w/ my 60D and was thinking of upgrading to 70D to get better AF performance - maybe I need to go over to the dark side!

Mark

It is not every copy. Most 70D users are really happy and are making lots of sharp images on the 70D thread. If all you use is center point then you may not see a lot of advantages over a 60D. For tracking though it is better.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

sponsored links
hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 25, 2014 20:33 as a reply to  @ post 16717662 |  #77

Ok, well my copy definitely doesn't have this issue, and the "issues" from earlier had everything to do with the lighting being poor. So, instead of a bookshelf on the side of the room, I set up a quick & dirty 'photo shoot' directly under the fan, which is plenty of light.

The setup was five nice, contrasty crayons on a scarf. I took five photos each using the center point, above-center point and below-center point. This lens has not been adjusted for my 70D at all; I just got it and thankfully it doesn't seem to need it.

Test results follow. There will be links to the full size files on my site. They are quite large (~9000px wide, ~2.5MB/each), but if you feel like seeing them, they're there. Everything is SOOC JPEG. ISO set to 200, aperture f/1.8, auto shutter speed (Av mode), on a tripod. Just cropped to the crayons (~50% or so crop) and joined together. The AF system was set to one shot, single-point and it was re-focused each shot.

70D, Center Point, EF 50mm f/1.8

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/70d-f18-centerpt-test-1000.jpg
Center point full size link (external link).

70D, Above-Center Point, EF 50mm f/1.8

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/70d-f18-abovectrpt-test-1000.jpg
Above-center point full size link (external link).

70D, Below-Center Point, EF 50mm f/1.8

IMAGE: http://www.hokiealumnus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/70d-f18-belowctrpt-test-1000.jpg
Below-center point full size link (external link).

Remember, this is far from ideal lighting. A single 100-quivalent daylight temp CFL in a ceiling fan about five feet above the 'scene'. I didn't even have to go outside and get real light. For my part -and my 70D copy-, I consider the matter closed. There isn't a thing wrong with the center point. Certainly there may be defective models out there, but I don't think it has to do with any sort of overall model defect on Canon's part. If it were, many more people would be doing this kind of testing and failing.

If you're having trouble with the AF system, but can get it to pass this kind of test as easily as I did, that just means you have to get to know the AF system better and use its behavior to your advantage. My copy, too, seems to default to the nearest object in the field of view quite often when using multiple points, so I choose my own AF point instead of trying to let it do so for me. That "issue" has nothing to do with the one spoken about in this thread.

EDIT - Woohoo, this is my 100th post. :)

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

mark ­ f1
86 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 25, 2014 21:07 |  #78

Keyan wrote in post #16717757 (external link)
It is not every copy. Most 70D users are really happy and are making lots of sharp images on the 70D thread. If all you use is center point then you may not see a lot of advantages over a 60D. For tracking though it is better.

I have been impressed w/ images on the 70D thread, that and the MFA were my main reasons for considering moving to the 70D. I am not overly impressed w/ Canon service but suspect Nikon service is not much better.

70D, SX40, 24-105 F4L, 10-18, 50/1.8, Tamron AF70-300, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 150-600 C

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,550 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 25, 2014 23:17 |  #79

mark f1 wrote in post #16717565 (external link)
This is very disappointing, I have similar AF issues w/ my 60D and was thinking of upgrading to 70D to get better AF performance - maybe I need to go over to the dark side!

Mark

I've never heard anybody having focus issues with the 60D, especially with large aperture F2.8 or larger lenses. I certainly haven't had any problems and I am using AIServo 100% of the time with BBF.

I have missed more shots with the 5D3, but that's because I am learning how to handle the beast. :o

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

Elwood_B
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 25, 2014 23:35 |  #80

marcozl wrote in post #16716714 (external link)
Could you please link me the post? Since I'm living in Munich now and bought the camera a here maybe you could help me get to a solution.

Here you are. I didn't want to post this link first, because it's a different forum!
http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.ph​p?t=1375786 (external link)

To all the other testers and reviewers:
Please keep in mind that, even though the Canon 50mm F1.8 isn't perfect for testing AF issues, it still can reveal that problem. For "deeper" testing a better lens should be used, that's for sure! But if a body is affected that lens could show it, for proper analysis a better lens should be used though!

Mostly that problem occurs on distances >5m!

Elwood_B
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 25, 2014 23:38 |  #81

hokiealumnus wrote in post #16717767 (external link)
Ok, well my copy definitely doesn't have this issue, and the "issues" from earlier had everything to do with the lighting being poor. So, instead of a bookshelf on the side of the room, I set up a quick & dirty 'photo shoot' directly under the fan, which is plenty of light.

The setup was five nice, contrasty crayons on a scarf. I took five photos each using the center point, above-center point and below-center point. This lens has not been adjusted for my 70D at all; I just got it and thankfully it doesn't seem to need it.

So good luck then! :D

But it seems that the distance in you test images is way below 5m, isn't it? So maybe that problem just didn't show because of that! Maybe!
You might be lucky, though! :D

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 26, 2014 06:08 |  #82

Yep, that was definitely shorter than 5m. I'll have to come up with a better test at distance then. Might take a couple of days though.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 26, 2014 06:28 |  #83

This thread, along with a few others over the years, make me nervous about being an early adopter.

I sold automation equipment for 19 years in a former life and that certainly applied there. After I got burned a few times, I learned to ask my customers to wait until the first series of production units were in the field and the bugs were worked out before they ordered ___.

Just how true is it with camera bodies?

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

palad1n
Goldmember
1,756 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 26, 2014 06:29 |  #84

I have no problems with my 70D and other lenses, but i have to admit 50mm 1.8 is not focusing properly with my camera either... MFA is not helping in this case.

Website (online) : www.lukaskrasa.com (external link)
Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/​photos/105393908@N03/ (external link)
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.c​om/lukaskrasaphoto/ (external link)
Instagram: https://instagram.com/​lukaskrasacom (external link)
Lukas

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,935 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 26, 2014 06:31 |  #85

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16718606 (external link)
This thread, along with a few others over the years, make me nervous about being an early adopter.

I sold automation equipment for 19 years in a former life and that certainly applied there. After I got burned a few times, I learned to ask my customers to wait until the first series of production units were in the field and the bugs were worked out before they ordered ___.

I wouldn't be too worried:

1) Canon is pretty quick, in most cases, to address issues either via recalls or firmware updates.

2) When one person screams fire, others start to smell smoke. There may, or may not be, a problem, or at the very minimum a widespread model-wide issue. There could be a bad batch of cameras that went out with an issue with their AF sensor chip, for example.

The issue is a bit different with new types of products hitting the market, but a DSLR is hardly a new product, the software and hardware is pretty well established with a few components internally that might get swapped out or upgraded from time to time.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 26, 2014 06:45 |  #86

Phoenixkh wrote in post #16718606 (external link)

It's true of anything mechanical. There are always early service bulletins for almost every car that is made. This is not necessarily a recall. There are service bulletins that are made for products to be repaired, "only if the customer notices or has the complaint". There is no way to put these products, whether it be cars, cameras, etc through the same type of testing as the real world in a timely manner before the tech becomes old, other than letting the customer be the ultimate tester. Early adopters are the guinea pigs.

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 26, 2014 07:13 |  #87

Canon service is pretty solid, if there is a systemic problem they would issue a service notice.

I wonder sometimes if odd focusing issues where one focus point doesn't work well and others do has more to do with something much less exciting...dust on the second mirror or on the focus sensor itself. Everyone worries about dust where they can see it (first mirror, sensor, focus screen), but dust on the second mirror or the AF array would cause focus problems with isolated points.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Frodge
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 26, 2014 07:33 |  #88

Keyan wrote in post #16718663 (external link)
Canon service is pretty solid, if there is a systemic problem they would issue a service notice.

I wonder sometimes if odd focusing issues where one focus point doesn't work well and others do has more to do with something much less exciting...dust on the second mirror or on the focus sensor itself. Everyone worries about dust where they can see it (first mirror, sensor, focus screen), but dust on the second mirror or the AF array would cause focus problems with isolated points.

This may be true. I do think early adopters get the thrill of being he first to have the new toy on the block, at the expense of niggles and possible recalls. This of course does not happen all the time. There are reports from several places that this is an issue. From what I've read, I believe that there is probably some sort of truth to it. How widespread is another thing altogether. I bought the first year of the 98 beetle. There were a handful of tsb's issued. Nothing major, and was a very solid car after that. But I'm done with the aggravation of buying first year models. As for dust on the secondary mirror, possible, but no likely from the reports and complaints, unless of course something changed in the design that allows more dust in.

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 26, 2014 10:34 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #89

After reading up on this, I just did my own test and came up with interesting results.

Test 1: 70d Tripod, mirror lock-up, 2 sec timer, completely blur focus between shots to force new focus acquisition, 10 shots on liveview, 10 shots with viewfinder: center focus point. Subject is 5 feet away, Sigma 50mm f1.4

Test 2: All same but with 24-70 f2.8

Test 3: Same as test 1 but with focus point selected right of center

Test 4: Same as test 2 but with focus point selected right of center

Tests 5-8: same as above but with 40d

Results:

1. 70d + 24-70: worked equally well, 100% focus success in live view and viewfinder.

2. 70d + Sigma 50MM 1.4: had 60% misses with viewfinder on centerpoint, while 100% on all others (live view and off center focus point)

3. 40d + sigma: 30% misses in live view, none with view finder

4. 40d + 24-70: all fine.

Conclusions

Major problem with 70d and Sigma on viewfinder center point, no problem on other points. Sigma had minor misses on 40d live view. I need to repeat test at 15' focal distance to verify results.

I have always had problems with Sigma occasionally missing focus so I cannot be sure if problem is 70d or Sigma but it is strange the problem seems to be isolated to viewfinder center point, at least on the 70d. Sigma accuracy is suspect.

The problem does not repeat at all, it would seem with the 24-70.

Will repeat test at 15' and advise if results are consistent with these.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

single_track
718 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 26, 2014 11:29 as a reply to  @ single_track's post |  #90

Just duplicated entire test at 15'. Basically, no misses anywhere with either lens both both live view and viewfinder.

While I do not think a I have a major problem, the Center point / Viewfinder / Sigma / 5' test is going to bug me. Will repeat tests to see if results differ.

I always want C&C on my shots.
Gear list: 70d, 5d & 40d | 70-200L/f4 IS | 24-70L | 17-40L | Sigmalux | 17-85 IS | Opteka 6.5mm fisheye | 580exII
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com​/photos/120400139@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links

343,271 views & 8 likes for this thread
70D focus issue & blurred pictures
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.