Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Feb 2014 (Wednesday) 10:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What kind of boom do I want for these compact stands?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,995 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 26, 2014 10:18 |  #1

Matthews compact reverse stand:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …7486_Reverse_St​and_7.html (external link)

I expect that most of my needs for a boom arm will be inside, but I might occasionally want a bit of reach outside with the compact stands, a 580EX and QBox.

edit: I am also purchasing this backdrop and can use the stands that come with it to hold a boom arm.

Ravelli ABS 10' background stand:
http://www.amazon.com …?ie=UTF8&m=A17W​6NLJ3OBMCK (external link)

Heck, while I have your attention. Tell me what else I want to pick up (stand related) while I am already going to be spending my days hiding from my wife in the dog house. I essentially have nothing along these lines.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
8,995 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 26, 2014 12:59 |  #2

sorry for my impatience, but I wasn't really planning to include this in my purchase today, so any direction would be appreciated.

i was thinking this might do the trick?

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Boom_Assembly_​Black.html (external link)

a video at their site says it fits 19-28mm poles, but i can't seem to find the size poles included with the above stands. Obviously I would only be able to use it without the counter weight with the compact poles, other than that, I'm kinda clueless.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 26, 2014 13:17 |  #3

The weight of the Manfrotto Boom Arm is 12.5lbs. The Mathews stand can support a weight of 11lbs. I would not recommend this.

I have one of these Mathews stands, and I would not put a boom arm on them. You would need a sandbag to keep it from falling over and then it wouldn't be as portable option. I would get a VAL before I got a boom arm for the Mathews stand.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 26, 2014 13:27 |  #4

Heath wrote in post #16719579 (external link)
The weight of the Manfrotto Boom Arm is 12.5lbs. The Mathews stand can support a weight of 11lbs. I would not recommend this.

I have one of these Mathews stands, and I would not put a boom arm on them. You would need a sandbag to keep it from falling over and then it wouldn't be as portable option. I would get a VAL before I got a boom arm for the Mathews stand.

VAL?

Edit: I got it. I think it's the second time I've asked this!

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
8,995 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 26, 2014 13:51 |  #5

Heath wrote in post #16719579 (external link)

yes, but the counter weight is 10 pounds, leaving the rest of the materials at 2.5#. My 580 is 1 pound 2 ounces and the Qbox and bracket can't be that heavy. I have smaller weights to use to counter that. I'm thinking that set up would be around 5-7 pounds. This will be my "go-to" set up for the time being.

The Ravelli has a max weight of 20 pounds for times that I need more. Granted, I'll be without a backdrop, but I can likely deal with that situation if it comes up on location. I have a backdrop holder built into my studio ceiling.

please tell me if i'm wrong, i can take it.

frugivore wrote in post #16719615 (external link)
VAL?

Edit: I got it. I think it's the second time I've asked this!

so what is it? :D

like i said above , i'm kinda clueless over here.

edit: VAL? - http://www.adorama.com​/PAINT333.html (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 26, 2014 14:47 |  #6

hes gone wrote in post #16719659 (external link)
=he's gone;16719659]yes, but the counter weight is 10 pounds, leaving the rest of the materials at 2.5#. My 580 is 1 pound 2 ounces and the Qbox and bracket can't be that heavy. I have smaller weights to use to counter that. I'm thinking that set up would be around 5-7 pounds. This will be my "go-to" set up for the time being.

The Ravelli has a max weight of 20 pounds for times that I need more. Granted, I'll be without a backdrop, but I can likely deal with that situation if it comes up on location. I have a backdrop holder built into my studio ceiling.

please tell me if i'm wrong, i can take it.

so what is it? :D

like i said above , i'm kinda clueless over here.

edit: VAL? - http://www.adorama.com​/PAINT333.html (external link)

Voice Activated Lightstand/Boom (i.e. an assistant). :)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
8,995 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 26, 2014 14:50 |  #7

frugivore wrote in post #16719756 (external link)
Voice Activated Lightstand/Boom (i.e. an assistant). :)

lulz

that's what my quick google turned up, I was afraid to stick my neck out though.

I'm definitely working alone most of the time.

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 26, 2014 16:50 |  #8

Dear HE’S GONE,

Everyone has to determine what is best for their individual needs & what they are comfortable with.

Here are a few potential speedlight boom options for you, I have utilized for many years when I want a quick & compact location setup (via car or occasional air, with photo-shoot site safety always being priority one for me)…

Option A-
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Boom_Assembly_​Black.html (external link)
-you are correct about the products specs i.e. 12.5lbs - 10lb counter weight = net 2.5lbs; it is very light weight.
-advantage is it’s compactness for travel (i.e. 3-sections: shortest approx 28”. I mostly only use 2 of its 3-sections)
-find it more suitable for mating with something like a Manfrotto 7.75ft lightstand [Mfr# 1052BAC]
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …AC_Alu_Air_Cush​ioned.html (external link)

Option B-
For even more lighter-weight/more compact set up than Option A, I use this combination:
(for Manfrotto Nano Mfr#5001B compact stands, or Lowel 8ft Mfr# UN-55 compact stands; with folded LOA 19”-21.5”)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …01B_Nano_Black_​Light.html (external link) (compact, but really a flimsy stand)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …5_Uni_TO_Light_​Stand.html (external link) (still compact - much firmer/stronger & higher than the Manfrotto Nano)
connected in this order…
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …KL_Double_Ball_​Joint.html (external link) (to lightstnad)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …386B_386B_Nano_​Clamp.html (external link) (for holding Lastolite pole/”boom”)
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_extending_hand​le_28.html (external link) (to hold speedlight & if desired modifier such as snoot, grid, softbox, stripbox, etc.)
I find my Matthews/SME & Avenger Grip Arms (20" or 40") far too heavy for both the stand & travel.

OPTION C, D, etc:
Also, don’t forget the benefit of the established, simple & versatile grips like these, as a compact substitute for a boom, for placing speedlights (as well as reflectors, gobos, etc).…
Manfrotto Justin Clamp [Mfr# 175F]:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_Justin_Spring_​Clamp.html (external link) (designed by Joe McNally & his friend Justin)
or
Mathews Mini Matthellini Clamp [Mfr# 420112-S15:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ni_Matthellini_​Clamp.html (external link)
Good luck and remember sometimes less is more.

Mary

P.S.
A more suitable stand for booming (particularly if there is a chance in the future, you will be also utilizing strobe lights), is this great value for money boom - the Manfrotto Combi-Boom Stand [Mfr# 420]:
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …20B_Combi_Boom_​Stand.html (external link)
with a load capacity much greater than the product specs indicate and have no hesitation in booming my Profoto D1-500Air’s with large Profoto light modifiers.

MARY

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,023 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 26, 2014 17:04 |  #9

The mini-stand is way too light duty for a boom. It will bend the stand even if its a light boom with a light setup at the end.

I rarely consider using even a 20" grip arm on a stand smaller than 13 foot.

If you need to have a light hanging off the side of a light stand you are way past portable.
10 foot stand, 40" grip arm, sand bags, etc. are about the minimum outside.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
8,995 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 26, 2014 20:09 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #10

Mary and David, thank you.

Rather than spend my afternoon looking for one last piece to the puzzle, I was able to cook up a pile of greens for my family and come back to exactly what I needed to know.

I even took some pics of the greens. They are called Cabbage Collards around here.

- brian

thanks to you other guys also. :D

even if this rig will hold up my cardboard and foam core, i'll be happy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,023 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 26, 2014 20:39 |  #11

Brian, here's what I use to boom speedlites with umbrella modifiers:
40" grip arm with head that fits on top of the light stand.
I use a 10 foot stand minimum and make sure a leg is under the grip arm.
mount the speedlite on the end of the grip arm with an umbrella bracket. Mount the speedlite via a Gordon mount. Its a piece of plastic with a velcro strap mounted on a spigot that fits into the umbrella bracket. Then I can mount the umbrella frame modifier onto the bracket. Unless I'm outside I don't bother with a sand bag but also don't extend the grip arm more than about 20 inches.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

happy2010
Looking for the light first
559 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 26, 2014 20:58 |  #12

Hey HE’S GONE/Brian,

LIGHT… yes, the best things in our often self-complicated life are free(natural light) - for those who want to take the time & soul to experience.
As we all know, rather than all the gear, the most important ingredient is: YOU & YOUR precious sight (photographer).

To use a few borrowed concepts from those Renaissance painters and seasoned photographers like Joe McNally/Cliff Mautner/David Ziser/Mark Wallace/Jerry Ghionis, etc…(& after observing virtually POTN guys I respect like DMWARD/David, JCOLMAN etc.)…
For any image - light quality, direction & color.
For portraits/events - light, composition & moment.

We are all on that lifetime of photographic continuous learning curve.
Happy continued shooting…

Mary
P.S. I didn't see that "dog house" in the back yard, so you maybe safe!

MARY

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
THREAD ­ STARTER
That's my line!
8,995 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Feb 26, 2014 21:24 |  #13

dmward wrote in post #16720496 (external link)
Brian, here's what I use to boom speedlites with umbrella modifiers:
40" grip arm with head that fits on top of the light stand.
I use a 10 foot stand minimum and make sure a leg is under the grip arm.
mount the speedlite on the end of the grip arm with an umbrella bracket. Mount the speedlite via a Gordon mount. Its a piece of plastic with a velcro strap mounted on a spigot that fits into the umbrella bracket. Then I can mount the umbrella frame modifier onto the bracket. Unless I'm outside I don't bother with a sand bag but also don't extend the grip arm more than about 20 inches.

you know, I just googled { "Gordon mount" umbrella } and this thread was the third hit! Crazy. but I did find it, and remember you posting it before. Looks very handy.

happy2010 wrote in post #16720537 (external link)
Hey HE’S GONE/Brian,

LIGHT… yes, the best things in our often self-complicated life are free(natural light) - for those who want to take the time & soul to experience.
As we all know, rather than all the gear, the most important ingredient is: YOU & YOUR precious sight (photographer).

To use a few borrowed concepts from those Renaissance painters and seasoned photographers like Joe McNally/Cliff Mautner/David Ziser/Mark Wallace/Jerry Ghionis, etc…(& after observing virtually POTN guys I respect like DMWARD/David, JCOLMAN etc.)…
For any image - light quality, direction & color.
For portraits/events - light, composition & moment.

We are all on that lifetime of photographic continuous learning curve.
Happy continued shooting…

Mary
P.S. I didn't see that "dog house" in the back yard, so you maybe safe!

Man after taking a look at your list of gadgets I would certainly be out in the cold. :LOL:

Thanks for the inspirational words. Indeed, having poked around here a bit has rekindled my love for photography. Having folks who are willing to share their experience is invaluable, I literally would be lost without having access to this site and y'alls brains.

Shoot, I'm showing one of my old friend/photography vendor a few things lately!

Super long time gone edit:

Just trying to add a photo to my gallery without it being in a new post. Weird, I know. Hoping it will allow me to post it in a PM.

HOSTED PHOTO

starlights
659 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 26, 2014 23:43 |  #14

Photoflex reflector arm works well as a light boom with the added benefit of reflector holder when needed. They have a compact version as well.

Link at B&H (external link)

Also look at Impact and one from Midwest Photo Exchange (its called lumopro, i think). Good for small units/speedlights

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 27, 2014 06:42 |  #15

Here is the Gordon Flash strap.
http://www.lightenupan​dshoot.com …07-the-gordon-flash-strap (external link)

I have a few myself, but if you have the time, you could probably make your own.

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

sponsored links

6,346 views & 1 like for this thread
What kind of boom do I want for these compact stands?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.