Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 12:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just started messing with Lightroom, what do you think?

Matrim33
268 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 27, 2014 12:28 |  #1

Hey guys. I have mostly used Paintshop pro, and Photoshop for editing. I've been looking for a quicker way to edit as I get headaches when I'm editing for too long. I got Lightroom 5 and have been impressed with how much quicker it could be. I read some stuff online and kinda followed a generic editing procedure for these. I have a lot to learn, but I like the software so far. The lens correction distortion tool is awesome!

IMAGE: http://reubenjames.smugmug.com/photos/i-HwGRjMx/0/O/i-HwGRjMx.jpg

IMAGE: http://reubenjames.smugmug.com/photos/i-mWCCSc3/0/O/i-mWCCSc3.jpg

IMAGE: http://reubenjames.smugmug.com/photos/i-QSbqb8B/0/O/i-QSbqb8B.jpg

IMAGE: http://reubenjames.smugmug.com/photos/i-ddWKfp4/0/O/i-ddWKfp4.jpg

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

sponsored links
Corbeau
377 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Feb 27, 2014 13:23 |  #2

As great as LR is, I tell the kids in my HS digital imaging class that it's easy to overcook a photo. Best results involve subtlety (as in your first example).

Look and think before opening the shutter. The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera. -- Yousuf Karsh

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 27, 2014 13:48 |  #3

Corbeau wrote in post #16722092 (external link)
As great as LR is, I tell the kids in my HS digital imaging class that it's easy to overcook a photo. Best results involve subtlety (as in your first example).

Thanks for the advice. Here's another try. I went in to the HSL and pulled back the blue and green.

IMAGE: http://reubenjames.smugmug.com/photos/i-qbPFzQN/0/O/i-qbPFzQN.jpg

6D - 50mm f/1.4 - 85mm f/1.8 - 24-105mm f/4L - 16-35mm f/2.8L II - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 - 600EX-RT

South ­ of ­ Nowhere
96 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 27, 2014 13:51 |  #4

Lightroom is awesome, but sometimes it's easy to get carried away (I'm guilty of having done the same thing myself many times). The first edit is pretty decent, though you may want to do a bit of color correction on the skin tone... it looks a bit red/orange to me. (though I am on my work computer, and my monitor isn't at all calibrated)

The second one feels a little too strong. I'd maybe dial back the vibrance and/or saturation a bit, your colors feel, as the previous poster mentioned, overcooked. You managed to recover some decent details in the textures of the trees, etc. Also, the lens flare in your edit just looks, well, weird. I'd leave that as it appears in the original, as that at least looks natural. If anything, more attention is drawn to it because of how out of place it looks.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Lightroom!

Canon 7D | Canon Rebel XTI | Σ 17-50 OS | 50mm f/1.8 II (Nifty Fifty) | 85mm f/1.8 | EF-S 55-250mm IS | 580EX ii | Photoflex 30" 5-in-1 reflector |
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,414 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 27, 2014 14:15 |  #5

I think you're off to a good start. I recall my early days of editing, working on an image and thinking, "this is really looking good" and then coming back to it later and realizing that I had really gone way to far with all the adjustments. Keep at it and stop often to evaluate your work. A couple of specifics -- in the second one you have a gray sun. Once it's fully blown out there's not much you can do, so better to leave it blown out. In the first one, it's still a bit dark, and a bit oversaturated for my taste. Is your monitor calibrated? And is it still set to the out-of-the-box "torch mode"? Since you have Image Editing OK turned on, here is a version that looks better on my calibrated monitor (although there is only so much that can be done with a small JPG).

Again, overall you're off to a good start, and yes, LR is FAST!

------

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Ace Rimmer -- "What a guy!"
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." ;)

Matrim33
THREAD ­ STARTER
268 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 27, 2014 14:19 |  #6

Rimmer wrote in post #16722194 (external link)
I think you're off to a good start. I recall my early days of editing, working on an image and thinking, "this is really looking good" and then coming back to it later and realizing that I had really gone way to far with all the adjustments. Keep at it and stop often to evaluate your work. A couple of specifics -- in the second one you have a gray sun. Once it's fully blown out there's not much you can do, so better to leave it blown out. In the first one, it's still a bit dark, and a bit oversaturated for my taste. Is your monitor calibrated? And is it still set to the out-of-the-box "torch mode"? Since you have Image Editing OK turned on, here is a version that looks better on my calibrated monitor (although there is only so much that can be done with a small JPG).

Again, overall you're off to a good start, and yes, LR is FAST!

------

Thank you for this. I will keep trudging along with LR. Will check my monitors.

Oh and hey Rimmer, you're a smeeeegheeeed!!! :cool:

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,414 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 27, 2014 20:04 |  #7

Better smeg than dead! :) . Stoke me a clipper....

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 28, 2014 08:36 |  #8

Was something cloned out in the middle of the forest shot? Looks really weird right in the middle, but it could just be an optical anomaly.

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

picturepages
Goldmember
1,267 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 28, 2014 13:40 |  #9

I think it's a reflection of a window?
As if the shot was taken through a window.

*~~I find.....the more I learn about photography, the more there is to learn about photography.:confused: ~~* My Flicker page (external link)

Canon 20D 5Dll EF-S18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 ll, EF50mm1:1.8 ll, EF24-70 1:2.8L USM, EF75-300mm 1:4-5.6 lll

Rimmer
Goldmember
1,414 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 01, 2014 15:07 |  #10

picturepages wrote in post #16724648 (external link)
I think it's a reflection of a window?
As if the shot was taken through a window.

That was my reaction; I meant to ask and forgot to do so.

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2014 17:50 |  #11

KirkS518 wrote in post #16723883 (external link)
Was something cloned out in the middle of the forest shot? Looks really weird right in the middle, but it could just be an optical anomaly.

I'm pleased somebody else dared to ask, as it draws my eyes to it and distracts me from seeing the image as a whole.

David

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,345 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2014 17:54 as a reply to  @ Woodworker's post |  #12

^ looks like it's just the way the shadow at the bottom, the tree trunk, and the tree in the back lined up. But yes, distracting.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links

1,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just started messing with Lightroom, what do you think?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.