Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Feb 2005 (Sunday) 18:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using FD (and other) lenses on EOS bodies

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 22, 2013 11:18 |  #91

Just received the tamron adaptall adapter and while it fits great, there is no "in focus" beep or light in the view finder. How do I get that activated or is it just a sales gimmick. I may have to send this back to get my money back.

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jul 22, 2013 11:23 |  #92

You are talking about having a fancier adapter - chipped. You can add that chip yourself. Plenty on eBay. Myself, I do nto use chipped adapters, they cannot be trusted to be accurate. Gene

GEAR LIST

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Jul 22, 2013 13:21 |  #93

gasrocks wrote in post #16143131 (external link)
You are talking about having a fancier adapter - chipped. You can add that chip yourself. Plenty on eBay. Myself, I do nto use chipped adapters, they cannot be trusted to be accurate. Gene

I had a couple of old adapters with chips and on one lens it was accurate when the LED lit up when focusing from MFD, and on another lens focus was "spot on" when the LED lit when focusing from INF...too much to remember...and...

The LED is too distracting for me...when focusing I'm concentrating more on the subject than on the focusing, and the idea of "confirming" off frame takes my eye "off the ball"...so I too use unchipped adapters...

I have read that the newer generation, and more expensive adapters are more accurate...but I've not tried them.

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

RAW-Shooter
888 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 22, 2013 14:06 |  #94

kitacanon wrote in post #16143470 (external link)
I had a couple of old adapters with chips and on one lens it was accurate when the LED lit up when focusing from MFD, and on another lens focus was "spot on" when the LED lit when focusing from INF...too much to remember...and too distracting for me...so I too use unchipped adapters...

I have read that the newer generation, and more expensive adapters are more accurate...but I've not tried them.

The newest generation can even be programmed for micro adjustment. However, on older lenses the manual focus mechanism is not always exactly at the same spot, thus rendering all that trickery useless. The only thing I really like about those chips is that the camera will record focal length and aperture settings.

Cheers.

BoKo
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II | Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD | Oly 40-150 f/2.8 PRO | Oly 300mm f/4 PRO | and a bunch of good old manual lenses

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2013 14:01 |  #95

Well I like mine, mine is pretty doggone accurate. Manually focusing with a little shake to my hands and wearing glasses it is hard to tell if focusing is accurate but this thing works great.

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 24, 2013 14:02 |  #96

The ones without chips and have glass produce too much haze and very poor picture quality when shooting less than f/4

dixiedawn
212 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 28, 2014 10:22 |  #97

posting here before I go to general EOS forum

I'm considering taking the plunge and getting my first DSLR. I've been looking at the T3i and the SL1 mostly. I see that some old non-Canon film lenses will work with them, but not sure on specifics.

I had purchased an Olympus OM2000 when they came out, then of course everything went digital not too much later. I'm hoping some of this equipment might be usable by the T3i. I realize the auto functions wouldn't work. I saw on Amazon a Fotodiox adapter OM-EOS for $15.95. Would that be all I needed ?

Olympus Zuiko Close Focus 35-70
Olympus Zuiko Close Focus 70-210
Tamrom F TeleConverter 2X O MC4
and of course some filters and close-up rings that fit these lenses

debbie

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
9,209 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 28, 2014 10:33 |  #98

Yes, that adapter would allow you to use your Olympus lenses on any EOS camera.

One thing to consider though is that most Digital SLR's have a much smaller image sensor than you are used to with 35mm film. The smaller sensor results in a "Crop Factor" of 1.6 which makes all your images look as though they were shot with lenses that are 1.6 times longer than you are used to.

This is great if you want to get telephoto shots of things far away but your 35-70mm lens will not be wide enough for many indoor shots of groups of people, or outdoor shots of landscapes or large subjects.

Your best bet is to get your new DSLR with a 18-55 "Kit" lens so you can at least have the wider angles covered.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

dixiedawn
212 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 28, 2014 10:54 as a reply to  @ msowsun's post |  #99

Thanks Mike. I was planning on the kit lens, but was hopeful that I might be able to get some use out of the old OM lenses. I'm sure I'll probably spend money on new lenses at some point, but these will give me something to start learning with.

debbie

sponsored links

162,912 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using FD (and other) lenses on EOS bodies
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.