Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 07:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T5i being shipped but already feeling I should have ordered 60d. Help!

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 28, 2014 06:53 |  #46

michgirl wrote in post #16721461 (external link)
PS I rarely use my top screen. Both 60d and Rebel have the Q screen and with the touch screen, it is so easy to change any setting. You won't need the extra dial.

This is an outright false and ridiculous statement. We're getting into the area of fantasy now. It's one thing to say keep it because you already had it, but sayig the dial is uneeded is irresponsible.

ryanshoots wrote in post #16723344 (external link)
Here's what I would do. Keep the t5i. Since you are considering returning and spending $100 more for the 60. Why not use that $100 and buy a lens. A fast prime say a nifty 50. The ef-50 1.8 is $125 new and would give you a different shooting experience from anything you've had so far.

Have some fun. Then in say 3+ years when the new AF system in the 70d is improved on and in all of Canon's cameras see if you might want to upgrade. By then you will know enough about your camera and how you use it to know if you need a higher end body or not.

Read this thread about Rebel's

https://photography-on-the.net …t=1341306&highl​ight=rebel

This would make sense if the guy couldn't still get an exchange. Get the 60d, it's a better rig and is in crazy sale lately. I can't debate over this any longer. Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

sponsored links
Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 28, 2014 07:06 |  #47

You have a one time chance to send it back unopened, and get what you want.
I had a 7D so assume the 60D is very similar, build quality etc.

To buy something you know is wrong is horrible - spend $100 and get it right!

Saw a post saying the extra wheel is not needed. Sorry that is IMO utter rubbish!
I use it all the time.
My Sony Slt a77!had 2 top wheels even better than the back wheel. It took me a year to stop missing it - and I have a back wheel! It was easier on the sony to get at it when you face is pressed up to the veiwfinder.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

Preeb
Goldmember
2,646 posts
Gallery: 134 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 28, 2014 09:10 |  #48

Submariner wrote in post #16723721 (external link)
You have a one time chance to send it back unopened, and get what you want.
I had a 7D so assume the 60D is very similar, build quality etc.

To buy something you know is wrong is horrible - spend $100 and get it right!

Saw a post saying the extra wheel is not needed. Sorry that is IMO utter rubbish!
I use it all the time.
My Sony Slt a77!had 2 top wheels even better than the back wheel. It took me a year to stop missing it - and I have a back wheel! It was easier on the sony to get at it when you face is pressed up to the veiwfinder.

I'm not exactly calling it rubbish, but once you've had the back wheel, going back to a Rebel would be like having a limb amputated. That plus the top buttons (even if you don't use the top display) means that you can change all key settings on the fly without ever taking your eye away from the viewfinder. That means that I don't miss that once in an outing (or maybe once in a lifetime) shot that pops up while you are looking at the display or playing with a touch screen. That's something which I feel is the most useless of all recent "feature" additions to Canon's lineup - my opinion is that they are catering to the smartphone generation, not to real photographers with that one.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Feb 28, 2014 10:01 |  #49

As someone who also came from a G12 to a DSLR, it's easy to be comfortable looking at the changes in ISO, aperture, shutter speed, etc. on the back LCD rather than in the viewfinder. That's how you've done it since the G12 viewfinder is pretty useless, at least, it was for me. It took me a while to get used to using the top LCD while looking through the viewfinder. Once you get it comfortable with it, it sure is nice, however.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 28, 2014 10:21 |  #50

with all the cameras i tried
7D , 60D , 70D , 5D2, 5d3, 6D
I didn't see the top LCD until now :)
i look at the LCD screen from the back

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

Bakewell
Goldmember
1,385 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 28, 2014 10:23 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

Frodge wrote in post #16723701 (external link)
This is an outright false and ridiculous statement. We're getting into the area of fantasy now. It's one thing to say keep it because you already had it, but sayig the dial is uneeded is irresponsible.

This would make sense if the guy couldn't still get an exchange. Get the 60d, it's a better rig and is in crazy sale lately. I can't debate over this any longer. Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

It's starting to sound pretty much like the same rationalization/sentim​ent that occurs in a 6D vs 5D3 thread!

Dave

ryanshoots
344 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 28, 2014 13:18 |  #52

Submariner wrote in post #16723721 (external link)
I use it all the time.

This is hilarious. Because a button is important to you, ABSOLUTELY means it is important to every other shooter on the planet. I mean, people are all the same, right?

michgirl
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 28, 2014 16:54 |  #53

There is a difference between NEED and WANT. Just saying.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8 / EF 70-300mm II USM
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 28, 2014 17:08 |  #54

michgirl wrote in post #16725075 (external link)
There is a difference between NEED and WANT. Just saying.

Most people don't need a camera.
Use a cellphone if you use this theory.

michgirl
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 28, 2014 17:14 |  #55

I don't understand your hostility. I have an EOS M camera with the Q screen and I can easily change any setting from the LCD screen. It is very simple and I do not NEED a dial to do so. That was the point I was trying to make.

Robin
Canon 6d / EF Lens: 24mm-105mm / 40mm f/2.8 / 28mm f/1.8 / 50mm f/1.8 / 85mm 1.8 / EF 70-300mm II USM
Canon T6i / EFs Lens: 24mm Pancake / 18-55mm STM / 18-135mm STM / 55-250mm STM

Frodge
Goldmember
3,087 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 28, 2014 17:29 |  #56

michgirl wrote in post #16725116 (external link)
I don't understand your hostility. I have an EOS M camera with the Q screen and I can easily change any setting from the LCD screen. It is very simple and I do not NEED a dial to do so. That was the point I was trying to make.

I have a Yashica FX-2000 wih full manual controls and one knob that contros shutter speed and asa. I'm not being hostile, that is not in my nature. The guy just dropped hundreds of dollars and specifically asked about the 60d and t5i. He probably started this thread because he has an inkling that he may have made an error in his purchase. My point is that if he extra 7oz is not going to bother him, it's silly not to get the 60d. There is no way anyone that has used both cameras can argue tha the rebel is as easy and quick to use as the 60d, and I like my rebel too. I understand need vs want. He wants a camera, and is questioning his purchase. Both great cameras, but the 60d is better in the sense that anyone will be happier with it for much longer than a rebel.

grasshopper315
116 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 01, 2014 07:59 |  #57

Some people are passionate with their buttons, dials, knobs and switches and some are not. I for one like the back dial, but still can quickly navigate and shoot with Rebel controls (I have and still use a Rebel). For me the Rebel controls are adequate and thus its buttons would be low on my list of wants.

OP said he/she was on a budget but still could swing the +$100 difference. I think it would be better to save that $100 and put it towards the many more $100's you'll need for more and better glass.

To michgirl's point - I agree thouchscreen is fantastic. I like the joystick and dial on my 7D as I can make changes while looking through through the OVF, but the M's touchscreen makes navigating menue and reviewing photos a breeze. I'd like to have both, but I'm done with upgrades for a few years.

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
790 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 01, 2014 08:34 |  #58

Ok, some feedback as I feel I owe it to this discussion, since I started it :)

I do appreciate everyone's input, after all, I did ask for it.

I like to do night shots and astro photography. I pushed my G12 to the limits doing this and had great fun doing it. With the G12, I was able to capture Jupiters moons, bring out the milky way and capture some shooting stars. So, naturally, I want to do the same with the T5i.

Last night, kind of hazy, I thought to give it a try. Mind you its about 10 degrees, so I only took a couple shots as it was not a planned event. As with the G12, the flip out screen is very awesome to have especially when the camera is turned upward. What I found excellent, was NOT having to look the the view finder as I was able to do this all via the LIve View AND make changes to settings using the touch screen.
I have to say, as many others have. The touch screen is done very well. Canon did an excellent job here. There is no lag, its response is perfect.
I cant wait until night shooting weather is more ideal as I want to see what this baby can do. I especially want to try out the Bulb setting as my G12 did not have this.

So far, I am loving this camera. I believe, I would love the 60D equally or perhaps even better...but what I know is this, I am happy with the T5i and feel it is giving me everything I need.

I am also still in the deciding stage but I do like that any savings here can be used for new/other glass as I do want to also get something like a 55-250 range lens, a pancake lens, and maybe even a 10-24 Tamron lens for wide angles.

My other thoughts at this time...is IF, IF I wanted to return my T5i, I dont think I would return it for a 60d...I think at this point, I would have to save more and just go straight to the 70d! LoL

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 01, 2014 09:19 |  #59

If the T5i is giving you everything you need, that's all anyone can ask.

Just to keep the gears going, I fully support the 70D choice. It will give you the touch screen you've become fond of, which the 60D would not. :)

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

StillCrazy
612 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 01, 2014 09:37 |  #60

MakisM1 wrote in post #16715899 (external link)
I am not familiar with the T5i but I think it is better than the 60D for video.

Could someone elaborate on this, please? What features on the 60D are lacking for taking good video? I'm also thinking of adding the 60D, or possibly 70D, to my list. I'd most likely keep the T3i, especially for video, if the 60D were lacking.

Thanks.

StillCrazy - after all these years.
Canon T3i, Sigma 18-200, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 70-300, Rokinon 14, Yongnuo YN 565 EX
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

9,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
T5i being shipped but already feeling I should have ordered 60d. Help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.