Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 07:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T5i being shipped but already feeling I should have ordered 60d. Help!

grasshopper315
116 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 01, 2014 09:58 |  #61

StillCrazy wrote in post #16726316 (external link)
Could someone elaborate on this, please? What features on the 60D are lacking for taking good video? I'm also thinking of adding the 60D, or possibly 70D, to my list. I'd most likely keep the T3i, especially for video, if the 60D were lacking.

Thanks.

I would say Hybrid CMOS AF, touch screen and better optimized to use STM lenses. I use my EOS M for video over my 7D for these reasons. Nice to be able to make a smooth focus change during video just by touching screen.

Edit: If you manual focus above won't matter. I'm not that good, but starting to try.

sponsored links
samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 02, 2014 10:55 |  #62

Well not sure what your final conclusion by this time is but let me tell you this:
If you are not happy with T5's performance, you WILL NOT be happy with 60D either.

Stop thinking and go out take that picture.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 26, 2014 22:04 |  #63

Can someone elaborate on the difference between focus points selected (in the View Finder) during half pressed shutter on the T5i vs 60D and 70D? Seems that the T5i shows a red dot on the points it has focus. Is there red dots on 60D or 70D?

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 26, 2014 23:22 |  #64

The 70D focus points are black squares. If it is dark enough, they will light up red but not all the time.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 27, 2014 16:14 |  #65

I thought I would provide an update on my experience with my first DSLR. I have eyeballed them since the T3i's came out and finally go around to getting one when the T5i came out. The touch screen and the STM won me over, atleast in reviews.

I have really tested out the T5i and loved it, but it felt small to me in my hands AND the view finder felt small.

After giving it some use over the past couple of weeks, I finally got my hands on a 70D. I was considering the 60D, especially for the price but the 70D is what I want as it has all the bells and whistles of the T5i and more. I really want the articulating screen and touch screen over the 60D.

The 70D in my hands feels great. I also like the heft and its really not that much more heavier but it has enough heft that I want. NOTE: Body vs Body the 70D is slightly heavier than a T5i. I would never even factor that in after actually holding them both in my hands.

So, while it was hard, as I really want a DSLR in my hands now, I have sent the T5i back.

NOTE: The T5i is a winner and I will recommend that camera to anyone asking me. There is nothing wrong with it. The 70D is more for me as I feel, at my current stage of photography, that I would out grow the T5i too quickly whereas I feel I have room to grow into the 70D and will spend my time learning all the features.

NOW...I wait for a better price on the 70D. I see that the T5i body on amazon came down a little more, so hoping this is a trend similar for 70D. Price AND I really want to know if the 70D focusing issue is resolved or fixable before I pull the trigger on that.

So here I am, coming from a G12, first considering a 40D, getting a T5i and now decided on the 70D. Please dont try and convince me to go FF LOL!

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

trx125
362 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 27, 2014 16:48 |  #66

Just ditch the DSLR and get an Iphone 5 and all them fancy attachment lens they are selling now. :)

6D I EF 24-70 F4L I SIGMA 70-200 2.8 OS SPORT

hokiealumnus
914 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Mar 27, 2014 17:04 |  #67

Wow, that was not what I expected, but more power to you! The 70D is an amazing camera, you'll love it even more after using it a while.

Canon 70D - First Impressions & Review'ish Thread
Neewer BG-1T Battery Grip for 70D Review
Flickr Gallery (external link) | My Gear
The wanting never ends. The budget ends, oh yes, but not the wanting.

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 27, 2014 17:22 |  #68

trx125 wrote in post #16791142 (external link)
Just ditch the DSLR and get an Iphone 5 and all them fancy attachment lens they are selling now. :)

Nooooooooo! I cant stand taking photos with phones...or tablets for that matter! I am like the only person it seems at events with friends/family that bring an actual camera (my G12 for the time being).

hokiealumnus wrote in post #16791175 (external link)
Wow, that was not what I expected, but more power to you! The 70D is an amazing camera, you'll love it even more after using it a while.

I know, its a shocker, but thankfully, I had some time with a DSLR in my hands to really put it all into perspective.

I cant wait until I get the 70D.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,843 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 27, 2014 17:27 |  #69

kezug,

I just ordered a 70D from Amazon. It's $150 off list at the moment. Great prices on the bundles too, with either the 18-55 STM or the 18-135 STM.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 27, 2014 17:46 |  #70

kezug wrote in post #16791063 (external link)
I thought I would provide an update on my experience with my first DSLR. I have eyeballed them since the T3i's came out and finally go around to getting one when the T5i came out. The touch screen and the STM won me over, atleast in reviews.

I have really tested out the T5i and loved it, but it felt small to me in my hands AND the view finder felt small.

After giving it some use over the past couple of weeks, I finally got my hands on a 70D. I was considering the 60D, especially for the price but the 70D is what I want as it has all the bells and whistles of the T5i and more. I really want the articulating screen and touch screen over the 60D.

The 70D in my hands feels great. I also like the heft and its really not that much more heavier but it has enough heft that I want. NOTE: Body vs Body the 70D is slightly heavier than a T5i. I would never even factor that in after actually holding them both in my hands.

So, while it was hard, as I really want a DSLR in my hands now, I have sent the T5i back.

NOTE: The T5i is a winner and I will recommend that camera to anyone asking me. There is nothing wrong with it. The 70D is more for me as I feel, at my current stage of photography, that I would out grow the T5i too quickly whereas I feel I have room to grow into the 70D and will spend my time learning all the features.

NOW...I wait for a better price on the 70D. I see that the T5i body on amazon came down a little more, so hoping this is a trend similar for 70D. Price AND I really want to know if the 70D focusing issue is resolved or fixable before I pull the trigger on that.

So here I am, coming from a G12, first considering a 40D, getting a T5i and now decided on the 70D. Please dont try and convince me to go FF LOL!

I rented the 70d and thought the grip was great. The camera is smaller than the 60d in some ways (barely smaller) but the grip is deeper and longer, which made it feel better in my hands than the 60d. I really liked the 70d and think you made a good choice because you will outgrow the T5i faster than the 70d. :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
2,685 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 27, 2014 21:04 |  #71

The 70D has many advantages over the T5i or the 60D, such as better ISO handling, bigger VF, and others, but the most important is the auto-focus micro-adjustment. When using the 60D I had a sharpness issue with some of my lenses. After MF with the 70D they shined.

sponsored links

9,059 views & 0 likes for this thread
T5i being shipped but already feeling I should have ordered 60d. Help!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.