Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 19:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

bounce off or direct flash?

enuff4life
118 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 27, 2014 19:11 |  #1

Indoor situation, church wedding

I have photogenic pl1250 and canon 430ex. I haven't tested the pl1250(just bought it), but wondering bounce off the main light with powerlight and flash with 430ex as I need would be a good combination?

It really depends on the location... but I'm planning put the powerlight in the corner and bounce off the ceiling, so luminate the entire place. Also use the 430 to fill up, if I need.

I also have 60" umbrella as well, so please someone recommend possbile combination with my gears.

Also without ettl, which mode should I shoot with? M or av?

sponsored links
vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,978 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 28, 2014 00:02 |  #2

Are you sure you want to use a lot of flash during a church service?

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,456 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2014 00:12 |  #3

Most use M. Some use AV as long as you understand what can happen to shutter speeds in low light venues. Start here. POTN members. This is in no particular order and there are many more members who have aced this type of lighting that might help in a church environment. Henk asked a good question.

https://photography-on-the.net …light=lighting+​receptions

http://www.nicknphoto.​com/wedding-reception-lighting/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,929 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 28, 2014 01:02 |  #4

The best laid plans (of pros) often go awry because of ministers that tell the pro "no shots during the ceremony", yet who also ignore the many photos taken by the guests in the pews who don't know how to turn off their flash.
Ergo, no flash, available light shooting only for the pro, who can then innocently shrug to the minister and point to his own camera with no flash mounted.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

vk2gwk
Cream of the Crop
12,978 posts
Gallery: 282 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 28, 2014 01:50 |  #5

It seems that I am not the only one worried about "flash during the service". I am not a wedding shooter but remember very much what I was told when my son married and I brought my camera...
It is something that should be discussed with the minister in advance.

Technically: when using non ETTL triggering methods to do the shooting you want to check light levels in advance when you are shooting manual or any other setting. Av can be an option when you have pre-measured the output levels of your strobes at the set level. That way you can vary DOF where required.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
Canon R5, 5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4 + RF70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

digital ­ paradise
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 28, 2014 07:40 |  #6

Also which body do you have? If you can't use flash there is a good thread on high ISO shooting and image recovery.

Image Editing OK

cliousa
43 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Feb 28, 2014 13:08 |  #7

Churches usually have high ceilings and bouncing the light off the ceiling is hard. The better option could be a flash bender which will allow you to bounce light towards the subjects but you have to be close 3-4 feet.

The further you are, the more power and harsher the light would become. You can also use sto-fen diffuser and point the light slightly backwards (one notch) to spill light up and forward.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

--
Trifon Anguelov
Wedding and Portrait Photographer in Mountain View, CA
http://www.weddingphot​ographyblogger.com (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2014 12:20 |  #8

IMO the flash bender is no better than direct flash. I use abetterbouncecard if I really have to but when the minister says NO flash then do what Bambi Cantrell does, save a spot on the 2nd. pew from the front and sit there and shoot up close. Or get someone to act like a guest and sit as close to the front as possible and have them to shoot available light up front while you are in the back getting wide angle shots.

jmikolich
388 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 01, 2014 12:45 |  #9

Please Please Please clear using a flash with the officiant. It is the most common thing I hear from ministers etc. that they hate when the photographer is snapping flash pic after flash pic all ceremony long. I even have a wedding this year that the church sent a letter to me stating the rules for photography during their ceremony (This is 6 months in advance of the wedding)

I'd vote shoot ambient light, and skip the flashes until afterwards then if you're doing formal portraits pull out the 60" umbrella and the "strobe" and use it then.

-Jim
Canon 5D3,5D3,5D2,6D,24 f2.8 IS,35L,45 TS-E,50L,85 f1.8,70-200 f2.8L II,100L
Rokinon 14mm f2.8

digital ­ paradise
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 01, 2014 12:56 |  #10

digital paradise wrote in post #16723771 (external link)
Also which body do you have? If you can't use flash there is a good thread on high ISO shooting and image recovery.

I forgot to add the thread. These people do outstanding work. Always an inspiration viewing the work.

https://photography-on-the.net …54&highlight=5D​2+high+iso

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
17,456 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 01, 2014 13:02 |  #11

Shooting wrote in post #16726608 (external link)
IMO the flash bender is no better than direct flash. I use abetterbouncecard if I really have to but when the minister says NO flash then do what Bambi Cantrell does, save a spot on the 2nd. pew from the front and sit there and shoot up close. Or get someone to act like a guest and sit as close to the front as possible and have them to shoot available light up front while you are in the back getting wide angle shots.

Direct flash on a bracket. I never hesitate to use bare flash when I can bounce. Just crank up the ISO and you are set.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …1/DPP07DB091913​2005-1.jpg (external link)

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/_M​G_0043.jpg (external link)

I never bothered to PP the reflection. It was a charity shoot and there were over 500 images.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …s/d74/Zenon1/_M​G_1229.jpg (external link)

Image Editing OK

enuff4life
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 01, 2014 14:58 |  #12

vk2gwk wrote in post #16723352 (external link)
Are you sure you want to use a lot of flash during a church service?

First of all thanks for all the reponses guys.

Maybe, it might be depends on the minister, but after the ceremony for the group picture might be a good time to set up the lights and test? my settings. I've used my 430ex only when I was in stories tall church building. It quite bounce off the ceiling, but I had mixture of strobe and other light sources (it was yellowis, redish and whitish....)

I do have 5dmkii mainly shoot with tamron 24-70vc, or 135 prime

I'be better practice and test at other places.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 01, 2014 22:52 |  #13

In the church, unless its a very specific problem, I rely on bounce from flash on camera and higher ISO setting. If the officiant is dictating restrictive rules, I tell the bride's mom and explain that the officiant's rules are going to limit my ability to cover the ceremony as I normally would.

Monolights in the church are only for formals after the ceremony. PERIOD!

Given high ISO performance from modern cameras its difficult to imagine a situation were bounced speedlite won't be sufficient.

If you go to my wedding site ( www.dmwfotos.com/weddi​ngs/ (external link) ) every ceremony shot is either available light or with bounced speedlite. I quit using monolights when PW introduced ControlTL. Now I use Canon 600EX-RT system and rarely put up a light on a stand.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

enuff4life
THREAD ­ STARTER
118 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 02, 2014 17:42 |  #14

dmward wrote in post #16727782 (external link)
In the church, unless its a very specific problem, I rely on bounce from flash on camera and higher ISO setting. If the officiant is dictating restrictive rules, I tell the bride's mom and explain that the officiant's rules are going to limit my ability to cover the ceremony as I normally would.

Monolights in the church are only for formals after the ceremony. PERIOD!

Given high ISO performance from modern cameras its difficult to imagine a situation were bounced speedlite won't be sufficient.

If you go to my wedding site ( www.dmwfotos.com/weddi​ngs/ (external link) ) every ceremony shot is either available light or with bounced speedlite. I quit using monolights when PW introduced ControlTL. Now I use Canon 600EX-RT system and rarely put up a light on a stand.

Thanks for the input. How did you take the night shot with the flash? Did you use umbrellas or direct?

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,083 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 02, 2014 21:06 |  #15

enuff4life wrote in post #16729612 (external link)
Thanks for the input. How did you take the night shot with the flash? Did you use umbrellas or direct?

Do you mean the one with the couple in front of the Chicago skyline?
That was on camera flash as fill, camera ambient exposure was set based on the lighting for the city.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

sponsored links

1,959 views & 0 likes for this thread
bounce off or direct flash?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.