Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Feb 2014 (Friday) 17:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 and CS4

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 28, 2014 17:17 |  #1

Just wondering if anyone knows if Adobe released an update that allowed the processing of raw files from a 5DIII in ACR.

I have CS5 on my desktop PC that I usually use for editing, but I have an older version of CS4 on my laptop and would like to be able to have a play with my 5DIII images on the laptop on occasions when I don't have access to my PC.

I guess the alternative solution would be to install CS5 on my laptop, but I can't remember if the licence allows installation on more than one computer.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

sponsored links
-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 28, 2014 17:37 |  #2

The license will let you install PS on 2 computers. Also you can have more than 1 version on the same computer if you want. The latest camera RAW is ver. 8.3 but I'm not sure how far back it goes per PS version.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

Sorarse
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 28, 2014 17:45 |  #3

That's useful. I'll have to dig out my disc and see what hoops I have to jump through to get it licensed on a 2nd computer.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

Canon PowerShot G2

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 28, 2014 17:54 |  #4

If it has been awhile since you registered with Adobe, they may make you reset your password during the installation. I just installed CS6 on mine with a prior installment of CS3, so far so good. Would have been a walk in the park installation if Adobe didn't want me to reset my password during installation.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK

Sorarse
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 28, 2014 17:56 |  #5

It looks like I will have to take that route. I've just ploughed through Adobe's website and discovered that the most up to date version of ACR available for CS4 doesn't support the 5DIII.

Canon PowerShot G2

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 28, 2014 18:04 |  #6

It's always something with Adobe!:D If you decide not to keep CS4 on your laptop, don't forget to deactivate it before uninstalling!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK

phantelope
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 28, 2014 18:21 |  #7

to add to Douglas, you can have it installed on as many computers as you like, but only activated on two. So if you have a pc at work and at home and also a laptop for travel, deactivate the one you don't need (work for example) while on your trip and activate the one on your laptop.

If CS4 does not read 5D3 raw files, you can use the canon software or ACR or LR etc to save the files in a different format like TIFF, then work in CS4

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 28, 2014 22:55 |  #8

Yes, you can install CS5 on your laptop.

An alternative is to convert Raw files from newer cameras to the DNG format, but if like was suggested you only have two machines with the software installed/activated, then you should be good to go...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Sorarse
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2014 07:29 |  #9

Just like to say thanks for all the advice and help guys. Installed CS5 on the laptop, and then had to update ACR to the latest version, but it's now reading my 5DIII raw files quite happily.

Canon PowerShot G2

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2014 12:26 |  #10

Use the free DNG Converter from Adobe to convert your raw format files to CS4 type of raw and there you have it. Newer raw can then be opened in CS4 or CS3 or 2, whatever you chose the conversion process to do.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 01, 2014 18:56 |  #11

Shooting wrote in post #16726620 (external link)
Use the free DNG Converter from Adobe to convert your raw format files to CS4 type of raw and there you have it. Newer raw can then be opened in CS4 or CS3 or 2, whatever you chose the conversion process to do.

He's all set now with CS5 on both machines!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,426 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 and CS4
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.