Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 11:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If Canon collaborated with BlackRapid, would you buy a strap?

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,741 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 13:33 |  #31

1KIND wrote in post #16717100 (external link)
This would probably also answers peoples worries and question about hanging anything from a tripod socket. Nikon has an endorsed product that hangs from there.

I guess Nikon must feel the connectr point the arrow shows is strong enough to support a heavy body and lens. I have not heard about these letting go but a lot of people put additional tethers on BR gear. The only time I have head about one failing was an eBay knock off I think.

I read here that the arm opened on someone but I believe the cause was the user forgot to thread it closed. I have a BR product (the double) and it has been a long time since I visited the site but now I see they have introduced Lockstar. Have their been cases of it unthreading itself? I could see that happening with body mechanics and repeated movements rubbing against it.

To me this would be the weakest point and if Nikon endorses it's use then BR has to guarantee the manufacturing and metals continues to be at the highest standard. I don't know if these are supplied or NR makes them. My guess is supplied. I worked in manufacturing for years and suppliers are always looking for ways to save money and often make changes without telling the customer. It cost one of the chemical suppliers millions for making a change in one part of the chemistry and not letting us know. That was a lot bigger than this.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zps7ea5a9da.jp​g~original (external link)

Now about that recent thread about the accidental body release off a lens. Hate to go there as it got a little testy but it did happen. It appears body mechanics caused that. What is Nikon going to do about that? A warning to check that often or not say anything. I guess they are big enough that if some like that happens occasionally just to deal with it one user at a time. They must have considered this.

Ever see the movie - Class Action (Gene Hackman -1991). Actuaries save companies a lotos money. So will all the Nikon owners not add home made tethers because Nikon endorsed it? Every time I clip my 5D3 and 70-200 2.8 II on I thing man that is a lot of weight being supported at one small point.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 13:38 |  #32

solara wrote in post #16727337 (external link)
It appears the Nikon branded BR strap comes with a secondary tether.

I guess that would be the tether kit BR sells?

Image Editing OK

orionz06
231 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 02, 2014 13:39 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #33

It can be easy to forget to screw the barrel shut, I have seen a few folks do it. The barrel though appears to be enough for climbers who hang their lives on carabiners.

5D Mark IV~7D+BG-E7/400D~Canon 50mm f/1.8 II~EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro~EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II~EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II~EF 50mm f/1.4 USM~Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL~Yongnuo YN-E3-RT~Canon 600EX-RT

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 13:52 |  #34

I've done it myself form time to time. Reading that thread a few years ago made me change my process.

I looked at the BR tether kit. It looks good but I hate those key chain devices because are a pain to install and remove. I tried that. I purchased some key rings at Home Depot. I tried leaving them on and I hated them living there. You have to have a certain fingers nail length to install/remove otherwise you need a tool. No fun when you are in a hurry. I hate say it but it scratch the finish installing and un-installing. Maybe those don't, the metal is not as strong? I might just buy it for the $23 and see for myself.

I would sooner see the strap go through the bodies strap thread back and secure with a quick clamp. I thought of this for a two point system, using both Canon straps mounts. Fast and easy.

Something like this.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zpsf66d7d62.jp​g~original (external link)

Image Editing OK

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 02, 2014 13:52 |  #35

I don't think the probability of the carabine opening is very high.

I think more people fails to screw in the part well enough in the camera.

I think a more relevant improvement would have all metal parts covered in protective plastic, to make sure they can't scratch the camera.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 13:58 |  #36

pwm2 wrote in post #16729104 (external link)
I don't think the probability of the carabine opening is very high.

I think more people fails to screw in the part well enough in the camera.

I think a more relevant improvement would have all metal parts covered in protective plastic, to make sure they can't scratch the camera.

I agree about the scratching part. Post #54 of the link. I stopped using the carabiner in image #1 and went with a plain strap - image #2. It is hard to see but basically threaded the same way as #1 but goes around the main strap instead of the connectr. You will notice I did installed a key ring in the connectr just in case the thing I pointed to in post #31 here lets go.

https://photography-on-the.net …read.php?t=1361​075&page=2

Image Editing OK

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 02, 2014 14:54 |  #37

digital paradise wrote in post #16729068 (external link)
I guess Nikon must feel the connectr point the arrow shows is strong enough to support a heavy body and lens. I have not heard about these letting go but a lot of people put additional tethers on BR gear. The only time I have head about one failing was an eBay knock off I think.

I read here that the arm opened on someone but I believe the cause was the user forgot to thread it closed. I have a BR product (the double) and it has been a long time since I visited the site but now I see they have introduced Lockstar. Have their been cases of it unthreading itself? I could see that happening with body mechanics and repeated movements rubbing against it.

To me this would be the weakest point and if Nikon endorses it's use then BR has to guarantee the manufacturing and metals continues to be at the highest standard. I don't know if these are supplied or NR makes them. My guess is supplied. I worked in manufacturing for years and suppliers are always looking for ways to save money and often make changes without telling the customer. It cost one of the chemical suppliers millions for making a change in one part of the chemistry and not letting us know. That was a lot bigger than this.

QUOTED IMAGE

Now about that recent thread about the accidental body release off a lens. Hate to go there as it got a little testy but it did happen. It appears body mechanics caused that. What is Nikon going to do about that? A warning to check that often or not say anything. I guess they are big enough that if some like that happens occasionally just to deal with it one user at a time. They must have considered this.

Ever see the movie - Class Action (Gene Hackman -1991). Actuaries save companies a lotos money. So will all the Nikon owners not add home made tethers because Nikon endorsed it? Every time I clip my 5D3 and 70-200 2.8 II on I thing man that is a lot of weight being supported at one small point.

I just saw the lockstar as well. People will use that instead of threading the lock. And you'll have complaints of the lockstar coming loose. Just more work for the lazy.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 15:20 |  #38

It has been a while since heading to that site and the safety additions surprised me. I still don't know if this is because of actual incidents or NR just reading forums, etc and adding based on feedback.

Image Editing OK

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Mar 02, 2014 16:02 |  #39

digital paradise wrote in post #16729281 (external link)
It has been a while since heading to that site and the safety additions surprised me. I still don't know if this is because of actual incidents or NR just reading forums, etc and adding based on feedback.

I haven't been there in a while as well. I think its the later but could be both.

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Moza Air Gimbal with Thumb Controller and Moza AirCross Gimbal | Custom SLR Dual Glide Strap, BounceLite Flash Modifier, Tolifo LED Light, Varavon Monopod

orionz06
231 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 02, 2014 16:40 |  #40

There doesn't have to be a need for a tether for folks to buy one.

5D Mark IV~7D+BG-E7/400D~Canon 50mm f/1.8 II~EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro~EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II~EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II~EF 50mm f/1.4 USM~Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL~Yongnuo YN-E3-RT~Canon 600EX-RT

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 16:59 |  #41

A very good point.

Image Editing OK

jbrackjr
481 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 02, 2014 17:56 |  #42

No, not a fan of BR

Jim
Gear List

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 02, 2014 19:08 |  #43

digital paradise wrote in post #16729077 (external link)
I guess that would be the tether kit BR sells?

Yeah from the pics it appears to be the BR tether kit - but it comes as part of the package I guess.

digital paradise wrote:
I looked at the BR tether kit. It looks good but I hate those key chain devices because are a pain to install and remove. I tried that. I purchased some key rings at Home Depot. I tried leaving them on and I hated them living there. You have to have a certain fingers nail length to install/remove otherwise you need a tool. No fun when you are in a hurry. I hate say it but it scratch the finish installing and un-installing. Maybe those don't, the metal is not as strong? I might just buy it for the $23 and see for myself.

Yeah there's no way I"m spending time and effort threading a keyring into the camera strap ring everytime I want to use the BR strap. That's why I got the Joby tether instead.

Btw I only got the BR strap because I had some cash back credit from Adorama, and that's the only sling-style strap they had in stock. Otherwise I'd probably have gotten another company's.

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 19:44 |  #44

jbrackjr wrote in post #16729640 (external link)
No, not a fan of BR

Which one do you use.

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,741 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 20:01 |  #45

1KIND wrote in post #16729229 (external link)
I just saw the lockstar as well. People will use that instead of threading the lock. And you'll have complaints of the lockstar coming loose. Just more work for the lazy.

Not a lot of space there. My guess is you have to thread it closed before it will fit. If that was the intention a good Poka-Yoke design.

Image Editing OK

sponsored links

6,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
If Canon collaborated with BlackRapid, would you buy a strap?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.