Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 02 Mar 2014 (Sunday) 21:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

External Hard Drive Purchase

Russo09
735 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 02, 2014 21:59 |  #1

Well after receiving multiple messages on my MacBook Pro that the drive is full, and almost filling up my portable hard drive, I'm in need of a new external hard drive. I'm probably going to go with a desktop one since I don't really need a second portable.

My question, does brand really make THAT much of a difference? Western Digital seems like a pretty cheap option with a lot of storage space and overall good reviews, but I don't want to risk all my stored media if it's going to crap out on me.

Any input/suggestions?

-Nick

-Nick
Canon 5D Mark 3 | Sigma 85mm 1.4 | Canon 17-40mm f2L

sponsored links
ten31
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 02, 2014 22:23 |  #2

buy whatever, pay a few bucks for an extended three year warranty, turn it in at the end, get another

Canon EOS 6D | 24-105mm f/4 IS USM | 85mm f/1.8 | 430EX II | Mefoto Roadtrip | RC6 remote

sircanon
226 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Mar 03, 2014 00:08 |  #3

G-Technology drives are pretty standard. I also have a western digital both of which work fine.

RZ67, Pentax 67, 5D mk II
Add me on Flickr! (external link)
www.camwilliamsphoto.c​om (external link)

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2014 00:20 as a reply to  @ sircanon's post |  #4

I had trouble with Seagate but WD's have been fine. I'll buy WD again when I need one.

Chef678
70 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 03, 2014 02:20 |  #5

Seagate customer service is not good about helping with there products.

joeseph
"smells like turd"
10,459 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Mar 03, 2014 02:27 |  #6

Don't whatever you do, rely on one drive to store everything - that's a cast iron way to guarantee that when the drive dies, you lose everything....

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II (broken), and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,910 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 03, 2014 03:25 |  #7

Russo09 wrote in post #16730250 (external link)
My question, does brand really make THAT much of a difference?

No.

First, there are only three companies making drives today: Western Digital, Seagate, and Toshiba. All other brands are using one of their drives.

Second, failures affect all makes. Everyone has their duds and you'll find negative reviews for all of them. Don't get hung up on this.

Get something that meets your budget, and get at least two of them to maintain duplicate copies.

ten31 wrote in post #16730305 (external link)
buy whatever, pay a few bucks for an extended three year warranty, turn it in at the end, get another

You're better off buying something with a decent manufacturer warranty. Western Digital seems to be pretty good in this regard, and are usually my first choice for that reason.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 03, 2014 04:45 |  #8

I have settled on WD having had a lot of trouble with Seagates including two copy backups of the same data failing simultaneously. I'm quite a fan of OWC external technology but as above, there are limited numbers of actual drive manufacturers.

Thank goodness they came down in price again after that post factory fire (?) period when they all got very expensive.

As an aside, I've just installed a hybrid (external link) 1Tb drive in my laptop and I rather like it so far.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

Aus.Morgo
561 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 03, 2014 05:01 |  #9

I use WD for HDD's these days, had two new seagates fail in the past year as I used to be a fan of their drives. Now I'm sticking to WD and have no issues for the past few years.
I use Samsung SSD's though.

Gear List

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 03, 2014 11:51 |  #10

I've been kinda looking for 2Tb Thunderbolt drives but haven't found any yet.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

sponsored links

1,201 views & 0 likes for this thread
External Hard Drive Purchase
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.