Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Mar 2014 (Monday) 11:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I buy a Canon G9?

robemeen
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 03, 2014 11:45 |  #1

I already have a Canon Powershot SD1000. I've always wanted the G9 and been saving up for it but I don't know if it's worth it. What do you guys think?

What are the pros and cons? Is the G9 totally different from a Powershot1000 and almost like a EOS? I've heard that the G series is in between Point and Shoot Cams and DSLR's, is it true? Will G9 be worth the wait? Or do you have any other camera models in mind which is better?

steve barbarich (external link)

sponsored links
nittaya
122 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 03, 2014 14:08 |  #2

google
http://www.pbase.com …as/canon/powers​hot_sd1000 (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/c​ameras/canon/powershot​_g9 (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/c​ameras/canon/powershot​_g11 (external link)

each of these have thousands of sample pictures taken by ordinary people
with these point and shoots. so it can give you some idea.

in photography beside camera post processing skills, quality of light, right composition also
counts . you can take very high quality images even with point and shoot camera.
see http://www.pbase.com/s​ilvia_marmori/patagoni​a (external link) many pictures are taken with cheap
dslr, point and shoot.

Ronnie ­ H
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 03, 2014 14:47 |  #3

G9.well my wife & I have had?have 7-8 G9s over the years we cureently have 3..she like hers loaded with RF add ons and a lensmate 58mm adapter with UV,,says she can hold the camera better??
I use mine as it comes out of the box ??its and easy carry cam and takes great pics,last of the G long zooms,,but it has sutter lag and not good in low light,,but in good light it will do a great job ?? i got one on ebay in box with 400 shutter clicks like new for $150..just watch around..and NO we will not sell any of ours..Check dennclad posts here about the G9 he likes his also
-----------
Ron

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 03, 2014 15:35 as a reply to  @ Ronnie H's post |  #4

I've had my G9 for several years, and still like it. It's now my "small" camera, compared to my G11, and Samsung NX20. The G9 takes excellent images at ISO 80 in bright lighting. It also benefits from using flash, especially an external flash like the 270EX II, or 430EX II. You can look at some of the "keepers' and experiments on my Flickr set for the G9.

http://www.flickr.com …s/sets/72157626​290990753/ (external link)

I have the Canon 2.x tele and 0.75x wide converter lenses, but generally only use the tele for greater reach. If I did not own the G9, then in today's market I would be attracted to the G15, even though it does not zoom out as far as the G9.

Another "old" model is the G10, and it also can produce excellent results at low ISO. Using either a monopod or tripod will let you use lower ISOs, but can become a hassle to bring along all the time.

If you really want to try a G9, then try to find one that is in great shape, and at a reasonably low price. Otherwise, I would save more towards the newer G12 or G15.

Dennis

mastertech01
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 03, 2014 15:54 |  #5

G9 has a big lens but I didnt like mine half as much as my G12. You will find a thousand different opinions though. Best thing to do is find a photo shop that sells used gear and try a few differnt models out.

CarloY
681 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 04, 2014 02:36 |  #6

robemeen wrote in post #16731442 (external link)
I already have a Canon Powershot SD1000. I've always wanted the G9 and been saving up for it but I don't know if it's worth it. What do you guys think?

To echo the above replies, yes the G9 fits between a basic P&S and a (lower end) DLSR.

Getting a camera to fit your needs --- depends on what your needs are, what type of shooting you want to do, what use you will make of the photos.

In short, the G9 (in its day... 2007 to ??) was a nice bright-light landscape camera, and did some other shooting fairly well also. With the physical dials plus the control-ring manipulations you have lots of control over your shooting. So it is more than a simple point-and-shoot.

The G9's size makes it a camera you still have to decide to carry with you. It is not bulky, but where/how do you carry it. If you want smaller, either use a good smartphone or go with something like a canon s95 or s100 (which are reported to work very well in somewhat lower-light situations than the G9).

I like nittaya's idea for you to look at photos posted by various people using different cameras -- you can match up what they post to the kind of photography you are into.

G9's... enthusiast and hobby clicker... toying w/ Canon 2x Tele & Raynox .7x Wide.

bratkinson
643 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 07, 2014 06:43 as a reply to  @ CarloY's post |  #7

Unless you have a very limited budget, I strongly recommend the G15.

I moved from 35mm film to a G3, then G5, then 30D, 60D and now 5D3 with L glass. I've been toying with getting a 'banging around' camera for the last year or so and based on my experience with the G3 and G5, wouldn't consider anything other than a G.

I happened to discover the G15 is now close-out priced at $299 at B&H earlier this week. It was delivered yesterday. Low light, no flash...stunning results. It focuses to about 6" as well! Indoors under florescent lights, no problem. Through the window at work at night into sulphur vapor and mercury vapor lit areas...no problem. Through the windshield of the truck with very little light to drive by, much less take a picture, no problem! And that was all on AUTO!

It's also built like a tank, and has full manual capabilities that I frequently use. I still have to play with it a while, but I am absolutely amazed at the quality of the results!

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." General George S Patton, Jr 1885-1945

Ronnie ­ H
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 07, 2014 09:32 |  #8

i just ot the G15 deal from B&H $299 with card >> part of our down sizeing gear,,but keeping our big cameras

Woodworker
Goldmember
2,176 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 20, 2014 09:41 |  #9

I bought one several years' ago and was very disappointed. If you look at some of the images in the links above, I think you'll realise they are well below the quality of an entry level DSLR.

The G9 is certainly well made and has a quality feel but, for me, it didn't cut the mustard which was a pity because I wanted a camera I could carry around in a pocket.

Later models may be better because censor technology has advanced.

David

Ronnie ­ H
Goldmember
1,793 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 20, 2014 09:58 |  #10

Well we just bought a G15 at B&H on sale for $299, with free SD card,,but i also bought another G9 outfit used,,,that gives us 3 --G9s again,,,but the G15 is much better in low light and much faster,,very little shutter lag, we get great pics from both,,G9 has a longer zoom lens, but G15 is much better in low light,and speed
-----------
Ron

Nathan
So boring
7,738 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 20, 2014 11:27 |  #11

My G9 hasn't gotten much use lately... but Spring is almost here. It is the camera I take with me on long bike rides... Just FYI - there's a problem with G9s and the screws on the bottom coming loose and short circuiting a board interally. I sent mine in for repair and they've glued the screws to prevent future problems. It's a documented problem that Canon apparently never acknowledged.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

3,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
Should I buy a Canon G9?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.