Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 16 Oct 2013 (Wednesday) 01:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony's full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R

masberg24
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 03, 2014 14:26 |  #556

Nicolas.Goulet wrote in post #16730214 (external link)
A7 + Samyang 14mm

QUOTED IMAGE

My next purchase! The samyangs are great with the new e mount
No color cast, sharp corners, etc etc...
Keep it coming!

http:// …http://Instagram.com/s​amsrhee (external link)

sponsored links
frizzle
428 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 03, 2014 15:14 |  #557

masberg24 wrote in post #16731816 (external link)
My next purchase! The samyangs are great with the new e mount
No color cast, sharp corners, etc etc...
Keep it coming!

I have the Samyang 14mm
Whilst it was quite sharp in the corners on a crop camera (7D)
I found it to be far less so on a full frame sensor like the A7r.
In fact I was quite dissapointed in it's corner sharpness.
The 24 TSII was far sharper corner to corner. However that could be just my copy & I am only passing on my experience with the lens & camera.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III * Sony Alpha A7R * Canon 70-200mm F2.8L * 400mm F5.6L * Samyang 14mm F2.8 * Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Xr Di * Canon TS-E 24L II
MY Flickr (external link)

masberg24
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 03, 2014 15:41 |  #558

frizzle wrote in post #16731910 (external link)
I have the Samyang 14mm
The 24 TSII was far sharper corner to corner. However that could be just my copy & I am only passing on my experience with the lens & camera.

Thanks! I hope it was just a copy issue
For the low price I think it's the best wide sharp lens

I have been looking all over for a wide angle; the results seem good

http:// …http://Instagram.com/s​amsrhee (external link)

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 03, 2014 15:44 as a reply to  @ frizzle's post |  #559

Frizzle, are you using the Canon version on your A7R?

In that case, your soft corners are probably because of the adapter. Alignment errors are common on adapters, but only truly visible with ultra wides below 17mm.

The Sammy 14 is known for great corner to corner sharpness.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

sploo
premature adulation
2,404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 03, 2014 15:49 |  #560

frizzle wrote in post #16731910 (external link)
I have the Samyang 14mm

masberg24 wrote in post #16731982 (external link)
Thanks! I hope it was just a copy issue
For the low price I think it's the best wide sharp lens

I have been looking all over for a wide angle; the results seem good

There is a lot of sample variation with the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm (but a good one is pretty sharp across the frame when stopped down to f5.6 or lower).

However, even ignoring the price difference, a comparison with the 24 TSII is a bit harsh on the Samyang. The 14mm is an ultrawide (much harder projecting that wide a field of view onto a flat sensor), whereas the 24mm is a "normal" wide angle, and has a much larger image circle (to allow shifting), so a shot taken with no tilt/shift should have very good corners, as you're not actually using the outer edge of the glass.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

frizzle
428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 03, 2014 16:48 |  #561

Ginga wrote in post #16731992 (external link)
Frizzle, are you using the Canon version on your A7R?

In that case, your soft corners are probably because of the adapter. Alignment errors are common on adapters, but only truly visible with ultra wides below 17mm.

The Sammy 14 is known for great corner to corner sharpness.

Good point Ginga
Yes I am using the Canon version with the Metabones adapter.
If anybody is using the E mount would they say there is a visible difference in the corners? If yes then I better upgrade & sell the Canon mount, because I like the focal length.

Canon EOS 1D Mark III * Sony Alpha A7R * Canon 70-200mm F2.8L * 400mm F5.6L * Samyang 14mm F2.8 * Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Xr Di * Canon TS-E 24L II

frizzle
428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 03, 2014 16:52 |  #562

sploo wrote in post #16732008 (external link)
There is a lot of sample variation with the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm (but a good one is pretty sharp across the frame when stopped down to f5.6 or lower).

However, even ignoring the price difference, a comparison with the 24 TSII is a bit harsh on the Samyang. The 14mm is an ultrawide (much harder projecting that wide a field of view onto a flat sensor), whereas the 24mm is a "normal" wide angle, and has a much larger image circle (to allow shifting), so a shot taken with no tilt/shift should have very good corners, as you're not actually using the outer edge of the glass.

Sploo - I was only comparing it to the 24mm TSII because it is pretty much the only other wide angle lens I have. I don't have anything else for comparison. But as Ginga mentioned, I may have more of an adapter issue than the lens being soft in the corners.

Nicolas.Goulet
573 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 03, 2014 21:22 |  #563

I love the 14mm so far, here's another one:

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3674/12917149673_83cfc3e209_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …icolasgoulet/12​917149673/  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by Nicolas Goulet Photography (external link), on Flickr

Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Canon 5D Mark II | 135L | 35L | 17-40L | 50 1.8

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 03, 2014 22:39 |  #564

sploo wrote in post #16732008 (external link)

Not true at all.

Whether a lens is an ultrawide or a telephoto depends on what angle of view it covers, not what its focal length is.

Both the Samyang 14mm and the TS-E 24L are ultra-wide lenses, with both covering roughly the same angle of view. The Schneider Super-Angulon 47mm is also an ultra-wide lens, covering the same angle of view over a much wider image circle (to cover a 612 or 4x5 frame, or almost cover a 617 frame). In contrast, for most point-and-shoots, you can have a telephoto 15mm lens.

Just because you put a 1.6x crop sensor behind a 35mm lens designed for full frame (i.e. around a 67-degree image circle) doesn't change it from a medium-wide to a short telephoto. You'll get a short telephoto field of view through the sensor, but that doesn't change the lens at all.

sploo
premature adulation
2,404 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 04, 2014 01:56 |  #565

Shadowblade wrote in post #16732835 (external link)
Not true at all.

Whether a lens is an ultrawide or a telephoto depends on what angle of view it covers, not what its focal length is.

Both the Samyang 14mm and the TS-E 24L are ultra-wide lenses, with both covering roughly the same angle of view. The Schneider Super-Angulon 47mm is also an ultra-wide lens, covering the same angle of view over a much wider image circle (to cover a 612 or 4x5 frame, or almost cover a 617 frame). In contrast, for most point-and-shoots, you can have a telephoto 15mm lens.

Just because you put a 1.6x crop sensor behind a 35mm lens designed for full frame (i.e. around a 67-degree image circle) doesn't change it from a medium-wide to a short telephoto. You'll get a short telephoto field of view through the sensor, but that doesn't change the lens at all.

I understand the concept of focal length vs. sensor size ("35mm equivalent" and all that), and yes, technically the TS-E 24L is ultra-wide due to its large image circle, but my point was more about "so a shot taken with no tilt/shift should have very good corners, as you're not actually using the outer edge of the glass".

I didn't want to overcomplicate my original post by going into image circle details, and the concept of a lens designed to project the whole of a wide angle field of view onto an image circle designed for a sensor (i.e. not the TS, where the circle is much larger than a FF sensor).

Indeed you could have an unbelievably wide lens designed for a very large sensor, but use a sensor that will only see a crop out of the centre. Assuming the lens is capable of resolving sufficient detail across that smaller area (i.e. good in the centre), the quality should be great - even if the edges of the lens were lousy. Similar point with the TS-E 24L (which I know doesn't have lousy edges, but the frizzle's point was about the corner quality of shots with the two lenses - with, I assume, no shift on the TS-E).

One other note: starting a post with a comment such as "Not true at all" is rarely a positive step, and whether your argument is ultimately right or wrong, will usually give the reader a negative impression - even if it wasn't your intention to be blunt/rude. Your post was useful and informative (though as I noted, I understand the concept) but a message always comes across better if worded to be helpfully educational rather than corrective.

frizzle wrote in post #16732152 (external link)
Sploo - I was only comparing it to the 24mm TSII because it is pretty much the only other wide angle lens I have. I don't have anything else for comparison. But as Ginga mentioned, I may have more of an adapter issue than the lens being soft in the corners.

Yes, I've seen some people note issues with even tiny misalignments due to the adapter, so it might be that causing the softness. That said, the first copy of the 14mm I picked up was unusable on one half of the image. The replacement was much better, so it may be a sample issue; though I still wouldn't expect it to touch an unshifted TS-E in the corners in quality terms.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

ThreeD23
218 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 04, 2014 17:22 |  #566

Some more from Emma x Daniel

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7364/12821147463_b5bf65878b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fantaztic/12821​147463/  (external link)
Emma x Daniel x Frankfurt x Kronberg x Feb 2014-22 (external link) von ThreeD23 (external link) auf Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/12821446594_4bcd3ddb29_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fantaztic/12821​446594/  (external link)
Emma x Daniel x Frankfurt x Kronberg x Feb 2014-30 (external link) von ThreeD23 (external link) auf Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3717/12821437784_2211795043_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fantaztic/12821​437784/  (external link)
Emma x Daniel x Frankfurt x Kronberg x Feb 2014-31 (external link) von ThreeD23 (external link) auf Flickr

Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)
A Sony Camera and some Canon EF and FD stuff

dtufino
Goldmember
4,040 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 04, 2014 18:45 |  #567

How well is your Sony 35mm lens working i low light? Mine has been hit or miss, mostly MISS, unfortunately!

Main reason why i shoot manual lenses!

-David T.
www.dtufinophoto.com (external link)

@dtufino_photo (external link)
flickr (external link)

stevo8
527 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2014 10:29 |  #568

I thought the sony e mount lenses cropped the sensor on the a7/r? So is the samyang 14mm e mount actually 14mm?

http://500px.com/Steve​nLarman (external link)

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2014 10:31 |  #569

stevo8 wrote in post #16736207 (external link)
I thought the sony e mount lenses cropped the sensor on the a7/r? So is the samyang 14mm e mount actually 14mm?

Sony E-mount lenses have a smaller image circle. The Samyang 14mm E-mount isn't a Sony E-mount lens.

stevo8
527 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2014 10:38 |  #570

So just to be straight forward here, the 14mm samyang is 14mm and works as a proper 14mm native lens? That's pretty awesome for a $400 wide lens.

http://500px.com/Steve​nLarman (external link)

sponsored links

126,049 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony's full-frame Alpha 7 and 7R
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.