Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 03 Mar 2014 (Monday) 20:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Punta Cana in April - Bring camera or no?

Vapour1ze
346 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 03, 2014 20:06 |  #1

I'm going on a 5-night all inclusive vacation in April to Punta Cana and was considering taking my camera... Just don't want to take 10k amongst glass and cam on a plane and let alone leave it in my room in another country... No telling what could happen, I have insurance but don't know how international works... I was considering picking up a 7d though within the next month so maybe I could take that and a kit lens or something so I'm less concerned..

Just wondering if it's even worth taking a cam along, I figured I could get some cool beach / scenic shots... maybe I'm wrong, just looking for some advice from people who have been.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon 24-70 2.8 L II | Canon 70-200 IS 2.8 L II | Canon 100mm USM Macro 2.8 | Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2

500px Profile (external link) | Website (external link)
| Like me on Facebook! (external link)

sponsored links
Smitty2k1
224 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 03, 2014 20:33 |  #2

I brought mine. You will be fine at an all inclusive. That said, I never left the resort and I never took any photos.

Too much cocktail hour at the beach...

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,715 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Mar 03, 2014 20:56 |  #3

Buy a $300 Canon EOS M kit with the 22mm, Killer DSLR quality in a tiny package.
With a phenomenal lens(it's very sharp and fast enough for low light stuff).

https://photography-on-the.net …ad.php?t=123850​7&page=217

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 03, 2014 20:59 |  #4

I had a similar thing, and I took very few photos. Some portraits of my wife that turned out pretty nice, otherwise not much worth keeping.

A compact waterproof would be great, though.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 03, 2014 21:34 |  #5

You might be overthinking it a bit. Why not rent a camera and lens? OMD-EM1 and 12mm F2 would make a nice combo. Fuji X100s would also give you good quality photos without having to lug around a big camera.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

firefighter4u
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 03, 2014 21:51 |  #6

I bring mine on every trip... (Two cruises and just got back from a week in Cozumel) One of the reasons I bought it! I'd just bring the 24-70 lens, leave the others home and have a great time!

7D; 450D; Canon 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II
Please support breast cancer research

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 03, 2014 22:23 |  #7

Smitty2k1 wrote in post #16732625 (external link)
I brought mine. You will be fine at an all inclusive. That said, I never left the resort and I never took any photos.

Too much cocktail hour at the beach...

I Concur^^^^^^^^^^₩^^^^^​^^^^^
Theres not alot in Punta Cana thats not all inclusive take it its not that bad and when you go outside to the real world your always guarded ...
Theft is not a problem there and they have no guns,

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

skilsaw
302 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Mar 04, 2014 01:30 |  #8

firefighter4u wrote in post #16732775 (external link)
I'd just bring the 24-70 lens, leave the others home and have a great time!

I have a Canon G1X for snapshots on holidays. Small, convenient and less expensive than a DSLR. If I wanted to take a DSLR and one lens, i think a 24-70 mm would be it. I seem to get my highest IQ with a tripod.

I'm jealous. Have a rum and coke for me.

tomj
649 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 04, 2014 07:27 |  #9

I'm going to the riviera maya in two weeks, and we're just taking my wife's P&S. We've been there a couple of times in the past few years, took my dslr the first time and hardly used it.

Flickr (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,643 posts
Gallery: 158 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 04, 2014 09:46 |  #10

My photographic travel kit.

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/IMG_4620_zpsf1706fd1.jpg

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/IMG_0710_zpscde99682.jpg

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,491 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 05, 2014 16:37 |  #11

Which resort?

We went to the Excellence Punta Cana about five years ago. I took an older Fuji superzoom with me, not the best camera, but still got some nice shots. The smaller camera fit in the room safe too. The resort seemed safe enough to have brought my higher end gear and leave in the room...

The ride from the airport to the resort was about an hour and you go through some really depressed little towns. It was recommended to us not to go off the resort unless on a group or guided tour. I don't think I would venture out and about with expensive camera equipment.

Anyhow - it's an all inclusive, you may be eating and drinking too much to take photos :)

Website (external link) flickr (external link) FaceBook (external link)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 07, 2014 07:29 |  #12

I bought my gear so I could use it. I won't go somewhere that I may never return to without it. I usually take a body and a lens, hide the rest in the room, and put the do not disturb sign on the door when i leave. When I want new towels I call for them. I'm not in the room enough to need it cleaned daily.
All my stuff is insured. I have serial numbers and receipts. My agent has confirmed that my policy covers my equipment while out of the country. Best bet is to talk with your agent and if they don't cover it, replace it with a policy that does or get a supplemental travel insurance policy.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

jptsr1
Goldmember
1,816 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 13, 2015 10:20 |  #13

Heading for Punta Cana next week. Just gonna bring the EOS M kit for this trip. Been to many all inclusives and aside from the galleries I store my pics in I cant tell one place from the other most times. That said, whenever I don't take a camera at all I miss what I think is the shot of a lifetime.

Et Facta Est Lux
My Gear
Flickrexternal link

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Apr 13, 2015 13:56 |  #14

I bring my camera on all my vacations. I usually don't use it much but I like to have it for a piece of mind. I hate saying "I wish I had....".

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

Apr 13, 2015 14:42 as a reply to  @ njstacker22's post |  #15

I haven't done Punta Cana yet. However, on both of our previous trips to the Riviera Maya my wife and I brought the rebel and the 24-70. I didn't own the 5d at the time, but we would have brought that if we had it.

When we are traveling in the Caribbean, we tend to go off the resort every two or three days depending on how long we are there. Most of our excursions tend to be dry and with an eye towards being able to take some photos, so of course the camera comes with us. For the wet excursions we have a water proof Olympus P&S we bring.

On the resort we tend to take pictures of each other while we are relaxing on the beach a day or two of the trip, and we'll usually plan a sunset and sunrise photo session with the two of us at a scenic spot on the resort as well.

My recommendation, take the camera. It's perfectly safe in the room safe if you don't want to carry it around. Ours tends to spend about 1/3 to half the trip in the safe (after all we're on vacation and we do want to relax), but the few times we take it out I'm always glad we brought it.

sponsored links

4,829 views & 0 likes for this thread
Punta Cana in April - Bring camera or no?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.