Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 02:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you think Canon will respond to the Nikon D800?

Kirth ­ Gersen
THREAD ­ STARTER
220 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 04, 2014 10:07 |  #16

Motor On wrote in post #16733507 (external link)
just saying you may want to approach the decision in a different manner, setting out a list of needs, then selecting the camera that best suits those needs.

You've hit the nail on the head really. I think I fit the Nikon (or even Sony) mould more than the Canon one (as a sweeping generalisation). Minimal interest in video; would be perfectly happy with 4fps shooting speed as I don't do action/sports much. More interested in portraiture, street photography, family gatherings, tourism.

As I've said, I prefer the Canon take on the user experience to the Nikon one, which is probably the main reason why I am reluctant to jump ship.

If they do continue to push the video route over IQ, I'll probably jump.

ps - I need to look at this Magic Lantern...

Canon 6D: Canon 85mm f/1.8 ~ Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 ~ 70-300mm f/4.0 - f/5.6 ~ Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ~ Carl Zeiss 100mm f/2.0
Fuji X100F
Leica M6: Leica Sumicron 35mm ~ Leica Sumicron 75mm
Pentax 67: Pentax 105mm f/2.4 ~ Pentax 55mm f/4.0

sponsored links
archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 04, 2014 10:36 |  #17

gjl711 wrote in post #16733497 (external link)
I have read a few articles that Canon is working hard on 4K video. That is one place Canon still has a clear lead so maybe that is where they are placing all their eggs. Leave the still images to Nikon and concentrate on video. It sort of makes sense looking at Canons last few camera releases.

In the consumer line, maybe, but not the pro line. The 1DX and 5D3 are pretty minimalist when it comes to video.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

cristphoto
948 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 04, 2014 10:47 |  #18

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16733143 (external link)
It's anyone's guess at this point, but the new high-MP camera from Canon is often rumored to be a 1-series, so it wouldn't be anywhere in the same price range anyway. If you really want access to a 36mp sensor with 14 stops of DR right now, the best way to do it would be with the Sony a7r, since you can get an adapter and use all your Canon lenses, and as a plus, you'll get to use the "mini-Otus" 55mm f/1.8

IMO, it would seem that all the major camera manufacturers are holding out for Photokina 2014, so you likely won't see any new (major) announcements until mid-September. It doesn't seem like anything major will come out of NAB 2014, but I could be wrong.

I've always said Canon should have stuck with their successful 1D/1DS series of bodies. How about a APS H sensor 1DmkV 18mp/12fps and a full frame 1DSmkV 36mp/6fps? Historically the 1DS series simply had twice the mp count with half the fps rate.

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 04, 2014 11:03 |  #19

Kirth Gersen wrote in post #16733110 (external link)
Any views on whether Canon are likely to drive its development of FF systems towards wider dynamic range like the D800?

Canon won't achieve similar dynamic range until they update their ancient fabrication process.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 04, 2014 11:13 |  #20

mclaren777 wrote in post #16733790 (external link)
Canon won't achieve similar dynamic range until they update their ancient fabrication process.

Interesting. Care to tell us more? I know that the D800 & 800E have better DR, as well as far more pixels. But I had not known this.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Mjkxxl
199 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 04, 2014 11:24 |  #21

Lowner wrote in post #16733813 (external link)
Interesting. Care to tell us more? I know that the D800 & 800E have better DR, as well as far more pixels. But I had not known this.

I think he is referring to semiconductor fabrication. Canon is using a relatively old process in its semiconductor manufacturing and until that is changed we shouldn't be expecting a sensor that can compete with Sony's.

It is something that does need to be addressed by Canon here and soon. I mean unless you are someone with a lot of money invested in Canon gear, I can't think of much of a reason not to go with Nikon, Sony, etc. at this point.

I have shot with a D800e and didn't like the ergonomics one bit, but it is really hard to argue how good the sensor is. And now that you can get it in a mirrorless format with the Sony, the only thing Canon has going for it is lenses and video.

-Mark
7D | 15-85mm | 100mm 2.8L Macro | 70-200mm 2.8L IS MkII | 580EX II | 600EX-RTx3

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,211 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 04, 2014 11:44 |  #22

Mjkxxl wrote in post #16733846 (external link)
...the only thing Canon has going for it is lenses and video.

Lenses. That's another area where Canon seems to be making little progress of late. Aside from the big whites, Canon's best lenses are getting pretty long in the tooth. They don't have an answer for the 14-24 (I'm talking performance, not exact specific focal-length range), Nikon released an upgraded 80-400mm last year, but still no updated Canon 100-400. 35mm and 50mm L-lenses are badly in need of an update. Etc.

There was a rumor that 2014 was going to be the "year of the lens" for Canon. That would be a great idea, because Canon's lens lineup is looking more and more outdated (except the big whites).

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 04, 2014 11:52 |  #23

Mjkxxl nailed it!

You can read more here: http://www.chipworks.c​om/full-frame-cameras/ (external link)

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

Mjkxxl
199 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 04, 2014 14:36 |  #24

mclaren777 wrote in post #16733908 (external link)
Mjkxxl nailed it!

You can read more here: http://www.chipworks.c​om/full-frame-cameras/ (external link)

The worst part about this article is the fact that it is from Oct. 2012 and we still have seen zero improvement on Canon's part. I just hope they figure it out soon. I like my setup right now and will probably stay till the D800e replacement goes live. If by that time Canon has not updated their manufacturing process, I don't see why someone would want to stay with them (except maybe video people).

-Mark

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,611 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 04, 2014 14:44 |  #25

Kirth Gersen wrote in post #16733197 (external link)
Then again there are times when I need to crop heavily on a long shot, the results can be disappointing.

You are aware that pixel count alone won't eliminate all image degradation induced by cropping, aren't you?

ERJL
384 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 04, 2014 14:53 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

There is a good interview with Canon execs posted right now at DP Review. It seems that Canon is as concerned with DSLR video performance as still frame. I don't think they judge their DSLR cameras by megapixels rather they seem to be targeting the sports, news and video photographer with their SYSTEM. Seems to be working as they are making money at it while other companies are struggling.

Those who are only concerned in numbers might indeed be happier elsewhere.

-ERJL

Mjkxxl
199 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 04, 2014 15:04 |  #27

ERJL wrote in post #16734343 (external link)
There is a good interview with Canon execs posted right now at DP Review. It seems that Canon is as concerned with DSLR video performance as still frame. I don't think they judge their DSLR cameras by megapixels rather they seem to be targeting the sports, news and video photographer with their SYSTEM. Seems to be working as they are making money at it while other companies are struggling.

Those who are only concerned in numbers might indeed be happier elsewhere.

Just finished reading this article. They still haven't addressed the elephant in the room that is their antiquated semiconductor manufacturing process. I mean they can say they want:

"With unlimited resolution, unlimited sensitivity and unlimited dynamic range you can take photos of anything that exists on this earth. That's our ultimate goal."

However this is not going to be possible with their current manufacturing process. I think this interview points to the fears that most of us still photographers are concerned with, which is that Canon wishes to be a more jack-of-all-trades/video manufacturers instead of working with stills.

Will be interesting to see what Canon does. Given their commercial printing business and such they can be slow to adapt and be financially solid. The question is how long can they remain stagnant before they are forced to step up?

-Mark

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 04, 2014 15:11 |  #28

While the D800 does have a higher resolution than the 5D mark III, the 5D mark III is better at high ISOs :). I believe the 5D3 is Canon's answer to the D800. But it all depends on what you shoot. For someone who shoots a lot of commercial work and does not really ever leave iso 100, then the D800 is the way to go. If someone else shoots a bit of this and a bit of that, and will use higher ISOs, then the 5D3 is the way to go. If canon did have a higher MP camera, I do not think the ISO ability would be as good as what it is now with the 5D 3.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,211 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 04, 2014 15:34 |  #29

If Canon doesn't really give a rip about photographers that need "numbers" (a disparaging term for high-resolution maximum low-ISO image quality), then why do they make the two of the finest tilt-shift lenses (TS-E 17 and 24 II)? That's the thing that has never added up for me.

Nikon makes a camera that maximizes image quality (D800), yet fail to make a 17mm tilt shift and a first-rate 24mm tilt-shift. Canon, on the other hand, has these awesome tilt-shifts - ideally suited for architecture and landscapes - but fail to have a camera with great "numbers". I just wish one of the two companies would get the whole package together. :lol:

It's been a frustrating contradiction. I made a switch to the D800 a couple years ago, but realized I just couldn't live without my TS-Es. At least now I can put them on a superb 36MP sensor with excellent DR, but it is still a compromise because of an adapter.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 04, 2014 17:41 |  #30

I don't think Canon's worried about Nikon or Sony. The bottom line is they are still selling more cameras that either. Until someone knocks them off their horse, they will continue on the same basic path that got them where they are today.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

sponsored links

14,360 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you think Canon will respond to the Nikon D800?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.