Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 12:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Studio Shooting: Difference between 5D3 and 5D2 ?

professorman
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 04, 2014 12:55 |  #1

I have been using my 5D3 exclusively as my studio camera, but I was wondering if, for studio shooting, are they any advantages of the 5D3 over the 5D2? I am racking up the shot count on my 5D3 while the 5D2 lays unused.

I have two 5D3 and a 5D2. I shoot with 2 cameras, so I am thinking of selling one of the 5D3 and keep the 5D2 as the second studio camera. Is there any quality difference between them for studio usage?

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 04, 2014 13:00 |  #2

I would imagine shooting at low ISO on static subjects you wouldnt see any significant differences. The benefits of the 5DIII are the focusing system and the iso performance. Neither of which come into play in the studio.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,313 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2014 13:04 |  #3

gonzogolf wrote in post #16734078 (external link)
I would imagine shooting at low ISO on static subjects you wouldnt see any significant differences. The benefits of the 5DIII are the focusing system and the iso performance. Neither of which come into play in the studio.

And unless you need to print really large, even a 5D does really nicely in a controlled environment like a studio. Lighting is far more important than the camera.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 04, 2014 13:05 |  #4

gonzogolf wrote in post #16734078 (external link)

That's what I was thinking too. I am shooting at ISO 50, f/8 and 1/160.

MyGear | Feedback | facebook (external link)|My Site (external link)|Flickr (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,313 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 04, 2014 13:09 |  #5

Why ISO 50? Can't turn your lights down?

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 04, 2014 13:16 |  #6

mike_d wrote in post #16734095 (external link)
Why ISO 50? Can't turn your lights down?

I've had the studio setup for 2 months now. I found some settings that worked, and stick with it. lol. I should turn them down so that I can explore better settings. I would like to shoot at wider apertures too.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,156 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 04, 2014 13:28 |  #7

professorman wrote in post #16734069 (external link)
I have been using my 5D3 exclusively as my studio camera, but I was wondering if, for studio shooting, are they any advantages of the 5D3 over the 5D2? I am racking up the shot count on my 5D3 while the 5D2 lays unused.

I have two 5D3 and a 5D2. I shoot with 2 cameras, so I am thinking of selling one of the 5D3 and keep the 5D2 as the second studio camera. Is there any quality difference between them for studio usage?

A controlled studio setting really shrinks the differences between any body, including crop. The differences are more in uncontrolled situations. The 5D2 should be fine.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,156 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 04, 2014 13:29 |  #8

professorman wrote in post #16734118 (external link)
I've had the studio setup for 2 months now. I found some settings that worked, and stick with it. lol. I should turn them down so that I can explore better settings. I would like to shoot at wider apertures too.

I would think lighting would always be different if you are doing modeling or portrait shots. Light, or light voids, creates mood. Are you doing specialized shoots where mood doesn't vary?

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 04, 2014 13:45 |  #9

professorman wrote in post #16734091 (external link)
That's what I was thinking too. I am shooting at ISO 50, f/8 and 1/160.

You would be better off using an ND filter than going to 50. You lose some dynamic range when you go to ISO 50.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 04, 2014 14:03 |  #10

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16734157 (external link)
I would think lighting would always be different if you are doing modeling or portrait shots. Light, or light voids, creates mood. Are you doing specialized shoots where mood doesn't vary?

I have only had the studio 2 months, so I have not maximized its capabilities as yet. I have been shooting white background. I have black background and realized that it was challenging to light. I am going to explore some creativity with black, and I am going to color gels as my next step.

I am still tweaking the studio and figuring out my lighting setup. I want to move my backdrop lights to wall mounted lights, but I need to be certain of their positions before I mount them permanently.

The studio is still pretty new, so I do not want to start jumping around before I become an expert at the basic white background setup.

gonzogolf wrote in post #16734196 (external link)
You would be better off using an ND filter than going to 50. You lose some dynamic range when you go to ISO 50.

After I said that, I realized that ISO 50 is limiting the camera, because it is a 'virtual' push of the exposure to get ISO 50. I will play with my light settings to get somewhere around ISO 200 or so.

Haha, more to purchase :(. I know the Lee filter kit is highly recommended, its on my long term to-buy list.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 04, 2014 14:10 |  #11

professorman wrote in post #16734220 (external link)
I have only had the studio 2 months, so I have not maximized its capabilities as yet. I have been shooting white background. I have black background and realized that it was challenging to light. I am going to explore some creativity with black, and I am going to color gels as my next step.

I am still tweaking the studio and figuring out my lighting setup. I want to move my backdrop lights to wall mounted lights, but I need to be certain of their positions before I mount them permanently.

The studio is still pretty new, so I do not want to start jumping around before I become an expert at the basic white background setup.

After I said that, I realized that ISO 50 is limiting the camera, because it is a 'virtual' push of the exposure to get ISO 50. I will play with my light settings to get somewhere around ISO 200 or so.

Haha, more to purchase :(. I know the Lee filter kit is highly recommended, its on my long term to-buy list.

No reason to go to 200, 100 is just fine. You dont need a lee filter kit, just a decent 3 stop ND filter from a decent maker of your choice.

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 04, 2014 14:12 |  #12

gonzogolf wrote in post #16734235 (external link)
No reason to go to 200, 100 is just fine. You dont need a lee filter kit, just a decent 3 stop ND filter from a decent maker of your choice.

Oh yes, the lee filter kit is mainly for gradated outside shooting. I could do that. All my lenses are 77mm.

patrick023
525 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 04, 2014 14:13 |  #13

I pretty much only shoot at ISO 100 in the studio, although I'll bump it up to 200 for faster recycle times if I need it. You can also get ND gels for your studio lights if you can't turn down the power on them any further.

The only big advantage I could think of between the 2 bodies for studio shooting would be the larger spread of AF points on the 5Dmk3. Shots taken from my 6D and my partner's 5Dmk2 pretty much look identical when using the same lighting and camera settings.

1Ds3 | 5Dmk3 | 6D | 7D | 20D | EF 17-40 f/4 L | 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 135 f/2L | EF 24-70 f/2.8L vII | EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 70-200 f/2.8 L vII | EF 70-200 f/4 L | Sigma 170-500 | A ton of speedlights and Einsteins
My work: www.p3photo.com (external link) | My facebook: https://www.facebook.c​om/P3PhotoKC (external link)

professorman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,661 posts
Joined May 2009

Mar 04, 2014 14:16 |  #14

patrick023 wrote in post #16734246 (external link)
The only big advantage I could think of between the 2 bodies for studio shooting would be the larger spread of AF points on the 5Dmk3.

Ha, that IS true. I have gotten to like the AF points on the 5D3, using changing focus points, rather than focus and recompose. :D

I will bump one of my 5D3 though. Its a overkill.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,156 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 04, 2014 14:26 |  #15

As patrick said, rosco makes an ND filter gel that you can use to lower the power of your lights if you just cant get any lower. Its like $8 a sheet from any theatrical supply store.

sponsored links

3,304 views & 0 likes for this thread
Studio Shooting: Difference between 5D3 and 5D2 ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.