Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D vs 7D

RobynDebra
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 04, 2014 12:09 |  #1

I purchased the 7D because I previously did equestrian photography and it was a great body for action/sports. I primarily photograph portraits and travel now, and want to upgrade my glass...which of course turned into a struggle between keeping the crop sensor 7D or selling it for the full frame 6D while I was at it.

I currently own the 7D with 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, and EF 50 f/1.8. I'm looking at the 24-105 f/4L IS USM (though I'm open to suggestions for other glass, I prefer the range of the this lens as opposed to carrying multiple). Should I switch to the 6D or keep the 7D? Will I regret the slower fps and fewer autofocus points or does the benefit of the extra light outweigh these?

[I don't do photography professionally - I'm an enthusiast and just can't justify the 5D Mark III right now]

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,012 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 04, 2014 12:19 |  #2

RobynDebra wrote in post #16733950 (external link)
I purchased the 7D because I previously did equestrian photography and it was a great body for action/sports. I primarily photograph portraits and travel now, and want to upgrade my glass...which of course turned into a struggle between keeping the crop sensor 7D or selling it for the full frame 6D while I was at it.

I currently own the 7D with 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, and EF 50 f/1.8. I'm looking at the 24-105 f/4L IS USM (though I'm open to suggestions for other glass, I prefer the range of the this lens as opposed to carrying multiple). Should I switch to the 6D or keep the 7D? Will I regret the slower fps and fewer autofocus points or does the benefit of the extra light outweigh these?

[I don't do photography professionally - I'm an enthusiast and just can't justify the 5D Mark III right now]

Welcome!

Do you feel you will get back to fast paced sports oriented events? The 6D AF is an improvement over past FF bodies other than the 5D3 and 1DX, and most likely would work in many fast paced events, but not all quite as well as the 7D might work out. However since you are not doing anything professionally, you have little risk to having missed fast action other than your own disappointments, so the 6D gets the nod here.

Glass upgrades are always good given what you have now, and you will have to anyways, at least the 18-135 should you go to the 6D. I would change the 18-135 first for now, and then if you feel this is still deficient, then go to the 6D.

I would get an UWA though too for the 7D, like the Tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22. It will change what you can capture very dramatically over 18mm or even worse 24mm.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

RobynDebra
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 04, 2014 12:52 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #3

My bad - I've got the Tamron 10-24 as well...forgot about that one. The only action I foresee is kids' sports (several years in the future, so this is probably moot), pets, and travel.

hotled
423 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 04, 2014 12:57 as a reply to  @ RobynDebra's post |  #4

I'm currently switching to the 6D from the 7D for the same reasons as you give.
I rented a 6D and tossed on my 70-200 and was just blown away by the clarity, it even made my 50 look awesome.
The 6D will still track sports (not as fast as 7D) but plenty fast for recreational sports imho.
Some even use it to bird with so it can track just may take some getting used to.
Plus the 6D is a low light beast..just my .02

Ken
Canon 7D | ∑ 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon EF 50 1.8 | Σ 70-200 2.8 EX DG OS HSM| YN-568EX II | YN-622
My Fickr (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 04, 2014 13:20 |  #5

It's a bit of a toss up... Will depend mostly upon your uses. I use a pair of 7Ds complemented with a 5DII.

7D is a better "sports/action" camera.

Thanks to being full frame, the 6D is better for really big enlargements (say over 16x24") and for low light shooting without flash. You really have to make big enlargements to take full advantage of the additional fine detail that FF is capable of. If all you do with your images is post online and make 5x7 and 8x10 prints, you won't really see the full benefit of FF. The far less crowded FF sensor also allows 2 or 3 stops higher ISO be used before image noise becomes an issue (Say, for example, if you use 7D up to 3200 now, you might be able to get similar results at 12800 with 6D). Sure, 6D is able to shoot action, but largely will be limited to the center AF point only and simply won't give you as many "keepers" as 7D would in the same situation.
7D's AF is optimized to track movement (using a discrete chip to drive AF, 1D series style) and has a much higher frame rate. 6D is not, though it's better at it than 5DII and 5D classic.

For travel, 6D is slightly smaller and lighter. However, what you gain there is more than offset by being limited to "full frame capable" lenses, which on the whole tend to be larger, heavier and more expensive. There's some, but not a lot of difference at the wide end... for example compare the size, weight and price of EF-S 10-22mm for use on 7D with EF 17-40/4L for use on 6D. The biggest differences are seen at the telephoto end. You have a 70-300 now, and to enjoy the same "effective reach" on 6D would need to invest in a lens that reaches 500mm (well, actually 480mm). That will be a much larger, heavier and - typically - more expensive lens. Of course, for portraiture and travel, you might not need nearly as long a lens as you did with equestrian photography.

I use my 7Ds for sports/action (including a lot of equestrian photography). Probably 85 or 90% of my shooting is done with those crop cameras, because it's the bulk of my work. The remainder - particularly portraits, landscape/scenic, some macro, and low light - I prefer to use the 5DII (6D would be very similar).

6D has a far simpler AF system than 7D. 11 points, only the center one is the "better" dual axis/cross type. It's able to focus to -3EV (moonlight) at center point only, while 7D gives up focusing at about -1EV light level. It's low light AF performance complements the 6D's cleaner high ISO image capabilities nicely.

Ultimately, 7D can be used for portraits and travel.... it's just sort of a waste, since it's optimized for sports/action, to not use it for those purposes. 6D, on the other hand, is more ideal for portraits and scenic shots, also can manage some action photography (again, better than the 5D or 5DII), but will never be as good at it as the 7D.

Glass might be an important consideration, if you plan to upgrade there. Actually, better glass might be the best use of your money. There are some excellent lenses for both crop cameras and full frame (some of which are largely exclusive to one or the other). I might let that be a key determining factor (in addition to planned uses)... looking at the cost of lens upgrades for each format, then consider whether it's in the budget or not.

For example, EF-S 10-22mm, EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-300 "DO" lenses make for a pretty neat and reasonably compact travel kit with 7D. Maybe a couple fast primes, too... such as EF 28/1.8, or 24/2.8 IS and 50/1.4.

Meanwhile, for 6D you might look at 17-40/4L, 24-70/4L IS or 24-105L (IMO, the far less expensive 28-135 IS can serve nearly as well, can't tell the difference in images), and 70-300 "DO" or 100-400L, or Sigma 150-500mm OS ("BIgma"), depending upon how much you want to haul around. Maybe 35/2 IS or 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 primes, too. The 135/2L is a fabulous portrait lens on a full frame camera, too.

By the way, with 6D you'd need to get new memory cards, too. It uses SD, not the Compactflash cards your 7D uses. Also, what softwares do you use? 6D and some other recent camera models are incompatible with some older versions of Adobe products, for example. You might need a s'ware upgrade too, and that can add significant cost. (When I upgraded from 30D to 50D, that meant a Photoshop upgrade, which in turn meant an operating system upgrade, and ultimately ended up being a complete desktop and laptop computer upgrade! Far more than "just a camera upgrade"!)

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

gnome ­ chompski
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 04, 2014 13:24 |  #6

The center focus point on the 6D is the only focus point you can really have faith in when tracking moving subjects. All the rest are hit or miss. They function flawlessly in most situations, but once the contrast drops, and the focus point you are using doesnt "see" this due to its configuration, its hunting season!

I love my 6D, but I am aware of its strengths and weaknesses. Dont bring a knife to a gun fight and you should be ok.

Tumblr (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

Copidosoma
Goldmember
1,017 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 04, 2014 14:17 as a reply to  @ gnome chompski's post |  #7

I just picked up a 6D. Plan to give it a proper landscape test over the next few weeks.

My first impression(s):

I'm not selling my 7D. Two different tools.

The 6D seems to have many fewer "options", just overall less ability to optimize than the 7D.

The 6d seems substantially smaller and lighter (bonus for travel), not sure if the actual number bear this impression out

My 50 1.8 and 24-105 are useable (very) lenses now. With the decreased pixel density, you don't have to be stuck at f8 to get a sharp image.

High ISO looks pretty awesome. Can't wait to do some astro work with it. Besides that, I'll likely be below ISO 1600 on both bodies.

Super thin DOF...whatever.

I'll probably add a WA prime to the 6D and a long tele for the 7D some day. They will diverge in uses in those directions. Of course, both are great for studio work.

All in all, I'm happy. Can't see selling the 7D

Gear: 7DII | 6D | Fuji X100s |Sigma 24A, 50A, 150-600C |24-105L |Samyang 14 2.8|Tamron 90mm f2.8 |and some other stuff
http://www.shutterstoc​k.com/g/copidosoma (external link)
https://500px.com/chri​s_kolaczan (external link)

Blubayou
366 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 04, 2014 14:42 |  #8

I'm with him ^

I plan to keep my 7D when I buy a FF body (6D most likely, or maybe 5D3 if I wait a little while) because I think they will compliment one another well. I was originally thinking I would sell the 7D, but I do enjoy its strengths when using it with certain lenses, such as the 70-200 MKII. I am being given a 17-40 that will see use on the 6D, and I expect that the 6D will do nicely with the 40mm pancake, too, especially for light travel and family stuff.

jdickerson
102 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 04, 2014 15:50 |  #9

Another voice chiming in for the buy the 6D...and keep the 7D option. Two very different beasts.

My 6D replaced not a crop body but my 4x5 Sinar system. It's my landscape, architecture, macro, pretty much everything else except, sports and wildlife. The crop factor is a big bonus for motor sports, airshows, and wildlife. The increased shooting speed is helpful as well. Besides, I really like having a back up.

As has been mentioned, the high ISO images out of the 6D are unbelievably good and the low ISO stuff is simply awesome.

So, if the financial issue isn't something that you're concerned about, both is definitely better.

JD

milleniumking
339 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 04, 2014 17:40 |  #10

Do it! You wont miss the 7d once you go full frame. The reach is gonna suffer but if you have to you can always crop the image slightly. 6d does well enough for tracking, not like the mark iii but it will do just fine.

Good luck with your choice!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,012 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 04, 2014 17:49 |  #11

milleniumking wrote in post #16734693 (external link)
Do it! You wont miss the 7d once you go full frame. The reach is gonna suffer but if you have to you can always crop the image slightly. 6d does well enough for tracking, not like the mark iii but it will do just fine.

Good luck with your choice!

You are going to have to crop quite a bit to get that 1.6 view back. You are going to throw away nearly 12 mpx, leaving you with something that would have to be digitally resized back up to match what you would have with the 7D. The results won't be similar.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,075 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 04, 2014 18:17 |  #12

the pros will outweigh the cons by a longshot. Do it, you're only regret will be why didnt you do it sooner.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

gfspencer
179 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 04, 2014 18:35 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #13

I bought a 6D and kept my 7D. I probably use my 6D 80% of the time but that is a function of what I shoot.

Canon 50D - Canon 7DII - Canon 6D - 16-35mm f/2.8L - 24-105mm f/4[COLOR="red"]L IS - 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS - 50mm f/1.2L - 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS - 100-400mm II f/4.5-5.6L IS - Extender EF 2x

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 04, 2014 21:36 |  #14

I own both and shoot them in very demanding conditions.

The 6D is the better all-around camera. The 7D's advantage is for locking onto animals that surprise you (a grouse shooting up behind you and arcing the sky, a raptor out of the blue, etc). The other advantage is the FPS.

But, I still take the FPS hit and use the 6D because the IQ is just much better. Contrast, sharpness, tonality, smoothness, all weigh heavily in the 6D's favor. This makes a huge difference for things with fur and feather. the 7D noise just eats away at sharpness even at ISO 400. It's appalling, actually.

My experience is that the 6D just generates many more keepers than the 7D. The center point AF of the 6D seems *much* better than the 7D, and can focus in much lower light. The Dalso seems to just have better focus consistency in general. and when it doesn't (or there's user error) the critical sharpness is saved thanks to a far, far superior sensor.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

giballi
210 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 04, 2014 21:58 as a reply to  @ Mike55's post |  #15

I literally just bought a 60D and now I'm drawn towards the 6D for the extreme low light capability. The 60D is amazing but now I'm wanting the 6D...

sponsored links

8,246 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D vs 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.