Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Dec 2013 (Tuesday) 13:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Canon lens?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,032 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2014 01:17 |  #61

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #16727928 (external link)
uh fanboyism and blind belief in everything DXO publishes?

No, and no.

1) My agreement with Jeffrey was not based on fanboyism. This should be obvious because the term "fanboy" is used to define one who is a fan of a particular manufacturer or brand. In this thread, we are asked what the best Canon lens is. So we are only comparing Canon lenses with other Canon lenses. This eliminates the partiality ("fanboyism") that is often present when one brand is pitted against others.

2) My agreement with Jeffery's comments does not stem from a "bind belief" in everything DXO publishes. In fact, I have never read anything by DXO, and I do not even know what the D, the X, and the O stand for. Honestly, I don't even know what DXO is - a review site, I would venture to guess?

Both of your proposed accusations are false, and I believe I have adequately disproved them with my rebuttals.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 02, 2014 01:32 |  #62

sorry I was not talking about you. In fact I actually share your agreement with Jeff. That comment was meant for those who keep assuming their standard zooms are better than the super teles and other primes that truly offer corner to corner sharpness, lack of CA and distortions.

My reply was more like a sarcastic answer to your question and the sarcasm was not meant for you :D

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16722216 (external link)
Didn't they read the question carefully, and pay strict attention to the exact parameters the OP gave us:

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

Nick3434
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 02, 2014 06:10 |  #63

Anyone that thinks the 24-70 is a better lens at 24 than a 24Lii because of an almost equal dxo chart grading sharpness at 5.6 is insane.

Besides, The best lens for canon is the sigma 50 1.4 art anyway.:lol:

I like to shoot wide, 135 is my longest lens except a zoom I have for surf pics. So I am sure their are better ziess and things out there I haven't used, but my vote based on experience is the 24lii. I could see wider peeps liking the 35 as well, but I prefer the 24.

Everything is relative.
Gear: 6D, Unholy Trinity:twisted: (24Lii, sigma 50A, 135L), and for the other ends of the spectrum, sigmaEX 14mm2.8 and sigmaEX 100-300F4.
Fuji X-e2, Rokinon 8 2.8 Fisheye II, Fuji 14 2.8, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23 1.4
FlikR (external link)

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 04, 2014 20:47 |  #64

Tom Reichner wrote in post #16722216 (external link)
You are quite right, Jeffery. I am surprised that anyone answering the OP's question would suggest a zoom lens. Didn't they read the question carefully, and pay strict attention to the exact parameters the OP gave us:

Since the 24-70mm Mark II and the 70-200mm IS II it is simply no longer the case that primes offer superior image quality to zooms.
Jeffery is of course correct that super telephoto lens are optically the best, but in the wide end of the spectrum and mid-telefocal, the zooms are performing as well as or better than the primes.

Nick3434 wrote in post #16728237 (external link)
Anyone that thinks the 24-70 is a better lens at 24 than a 24Lii because of an almost equal dxo chart grading sharpness at 5.6 is insane.

Take Digital Picture then, it supports what Dxomark says.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=4 (external link)

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 04, 2014 20:51 |  #65

For versatility, 24-70II, 70-200 2.8 II.
For pure joy, 135L. (But the 70-200 still killed it for me).

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

NemethR
861 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2012

Mar 05, 2014 12:14 |  #66

If there is onyl 1 lens to choose from, I would says its the 24-70 f/2.8 or the 24-105 f/4 IS.
They have very nice IQ, build quality, and can get the job done.

They win because of the versatility over other lenses.
(at least for me)

Roland | Hobbyst Photographer
Nikon D850 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8G VR II | Nikon 85mm f/1.8G | Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

sponsored links

9,985 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Canon lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.