Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 02:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you think Canon will respond to the Nikon D800?

RayinAlaska
425 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 05, 2014 00:09 |  #46

x_tan wrote in post #16735373 (external link)
Canon responded by buying more Sony share;
Then Sony stab Nikon on its back to bring out a7 & a7R ;)

bw!

Then there are new sensors coming that surpass the Sony sensor. But I imagine that Nikon will keep an eye open for new sensor technology, just like Canon. Camera bodies and lenses is what Nikon and Canon will be concentrating on, although I have no idea what Canon will do relating to producing its own sensors. That technology is rapidly changing out there.

In my view Sony will do fine for awhile, but Nikon and Canon have most of the market on brand loyalty.

sponsored links
JGI
184 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2009

Mar 05, 2014 01:45 |  #47

x_tan wrote in post #16735373 (external link)
Canon responded by buying more Sony share;
Then Sony stab Nikon on its back to bring out a7 & a7R ;)

And Nikon farts on Sony's face by making their own sensor for the D4 (external link) instead of using Exmor :lol:

Skill is very important but a fully charged battery is very very important :lol:

ICarumba
143 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 05, 2014 01:49 as a reply to  @ JGI's post |  #48

I thin it is very easy for canon to match or beat nikon... they simply have to replace their sensor with the same sensor that nikon bought from sony of whatever it is.

Ginga
370 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 05, 2014 02:02 |  #49

I think they will give us higher MP sooner or later. But let's not forget that "Canon is Canon". We can be sure that their high MP sensor will be marketed with words like "groundbreaking, revolutionary, and amazing." And so it will first arrive in a big ass 1D-body. 7000 dollar price tag.

And I am not so sure that it come with improved low ISO dynamic range.

Anyway, I already have my answer to the D800. Made by Sony and wields L-glass better than my 5D3 ever could.

Sony A7R * 70-200 2.8L II * 24-70L II * Samyang 14
Recently sold: 5DIII * Sigma 35 *

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2014 06:50 |  #50

gjl711 wrote in post #16735317 (external link)
But we aren't talking about the select few who have camera companies sponsoring them. Of course they are going to shoot the equipment of their sponsers. I thought we were discussing the tools themselves and when or if Canon is going to answer the challenge. One outstanding camera by a competitor isn't going to make most of us switch, we're too invested. But Canon has pretty much stalled at the 5DII for full frame and the 7D with crop offering only marginal improvements to in camera jpeg shooters. It's time they offer something to us still shooters of interest. If the new 7DII is a souped up 70D or the D800 replacement is something better than the current D800, Canon runs a serious risk loosing some loyal customers.

Huh??? 5d3 and 1Dx don't count?

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 05, 2014 07:00 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16735292 (external link)
The problem is that a lot of us spend more time playing with new toys than leaning to use the toys we bought yesterday. This does no lead to camera proficiency.

really, we just like new toys. I happen to know how to get a great landscape photo out of my existing gear...that is precisely why I could use a better sensor. I have to go through hoops today to deal with high dynamic range scenes, using GND filters and merging in post, spending a lot of time on the computer. If a technology exists that eliminates much of this hassle, I would gladly take that new "toy".

People rave about the 5d3 and it's AF...but isn't that just a new toy and the 5d2 was used very successfully by many before the 5d3 was introduced? Oh...and before that the 5d was used successfully.

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 05, 2014 07:02 |  #52

mclaren777 wrote in post #16733908 (external link)
Mjkxxl nailed it!

You can read more here: http://www.chipworks.c​om/full-frame-cameras/ (external link)

For the layman, the nanometer process refers to how small the smallest component can be in a microchip or sensor; if Canon is sewing sweaters, then Sony is making fancy Italian shirts, a sweater is no doubt functional, but the shirt makes for a finer image. :lol:

RayinAlaska wrote in post #16735325 (external link)
Trying to keep up with technology? Take a look at this old news:
http://www.therichest.​com …xpensive-digital-cameras/ (external link)

Wow, what dimensional time flux is that article from? It tries to make a point of the most expensive cameras, but doesn't say whether it's "for their time" or at the current point in time, not that it matters because the prices are mostly wrong anyway and the choice of camera models is seemingly random since there are no categories.

Hogloff wrote in post #16735755 (external link)
really, we just like new toys. I happen to know how to get a great landscape photo out of my existing gear...that is precisely why I could use a better sensor. I have to go through hoops today to deal with high dynamic range scenes, using GND filters and merging in post, spending a lot of time on the computer. If a technology exists that eliminates much of this hassle, I would gladly take that new "toy".

People rave about the 5d3 and it's AF...but isn't that just a new toy and the 5d2 was used very successfully by many before the 5d3 was introduced? Oh...and before that the 5d was used successfully.

There is no limit to how fast a person can adapt to, and take for granted, technology they only found out existed yesterday. (and then complain about it anyway)

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2014 07:03 |  #53

Hogloff wrote in post #16735755 (external link)

The 5D3 and 1Dx also have a much better sensor, as indicated by the high ISO noise levels.

Gripped 7D, gripped, full-spectrum modfied T1i (500D), SX50HS, A2E film body, Tamzooka (150-600), Tamron 90mm/2.8 VC (ver 2), Tamron 18-270 VC, Canon FD 100 f/4.0 macro, Canon 24-105 f/4L,Canon EF 200 f/2.8LII, Canon 85 f/1.8, Tamron Adaptall 2 90mmf/2.5 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Canon EX-430 flash, Vivitar DF-383 flash, Astro-Tech AT6RC and Celestron NexStar 102 GT telescopes, various other semi-crappy manual lenses and stuff.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,966 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 05, 2014 07:08 |  #54

archer1960 wrote in post #16735746 (external link)
Huh??? 5d3 and 1Dx don't count?

The sensor technology is pretty much the same as the 5DII There are a few improvements but if you look at the raw output of the sensors, it's so close that one can call it a tie. I'm not saying that the overall package hasn't improved, the 5DIII is a nice step up in features, but the image quality is pretty much the same as the 5DII.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 05, 2014 07:23 |  #55

archer1960 wrote in post #16735761 (external link)
The 5D3 and 1Dx also have a much better sensor, as indicated by the high ISO noise levels.

It's useless trying to explain to someone in this day and age that a camera with 12 stops DR and no noise from ISO100-1600 is still a miracle of engineering.

Even so, the biggest limitation of the 1Dx sensor is Canon's legacy manufacture process, if the pixel structure was designed the same way that the D800 was, it would likely have had 16 stops DR at ISO100.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

archer1960
Goldmember
4,930 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Mar 05, 2014 08:18 |  #56

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16735789 (external link)
It's useless trying to explain to someone in this day and age that a camera with 12 stops DR and no noise from ISO100-1600 is still a miracle of engineering.

Even so, the biggest limitation of the 1Dx sensor is Canon's legacy manufacture process, if the pixel structure was designed the same way that the D800 was, it would likely have had 16 stops DR at ISO100.

For what I shoot, I'll take lower noise at high ISOs over higher DR at low ISOs any day.

cristphoto
948 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 05, 2014 08:26 |  #57

ICarumba wrote in post #16735502 (external link)
I thin it is very easy for canon to match or beat nikon... they simply have to replace their sensor with the same sensor that nikon bought from sony of whatever it is.

I read an article last year that Canon applied for a patent for (I believe) a 100mp sensor which truly surpasses anything available at the present. My guess is that as we get closer to diminishing returns increased megapixel count isn't as pressing an issue as 10-15 years ago when digital was in its infancy. I assume Canon isn't sitting down and not moving forward - they're simply fine tuning the items that lead to better images. This is similar to the stereo industry 30 years ago when every manufacturer was in a "watts race" to offer the most power. It came to a point when everyone realized that that just high wattage alone didn't make the sound output any better.

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,966 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 05, 2014 08:28 |  #58

archer1960 wrote in post #16735879 (external link)
For what I shoot, I'll take lower noise at high ISOs over higher DR at low ISOs any day.

And there lies the issue. For me, high ISO is near useless especially at work where all my photography is product and ISO 100 is as high as I go. Once not so long ago Canon offered a body for each style. Need high ISO, high frame rate, sports shooter, Canon had that. Need something for studio work, product, landscape, architecture, macro, portrait, Canon had that as well. But they now seem to have gone all in with the sports shooter only and let the other 1/2 of the market slip away. Their model seems to be working as they still maintain a market lead, but as one who has invested in glass and does zero sports, it's disappointing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 05, 2014 08:35 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

Kolor-Pikker wrote in post #16735789 (external link)
It's useless trying to explain to someone in this day and age that a camera with 12 stops DR and no noise from ISO100-1600 was a miracle of engineering.

There I corrected your statement.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 05, 2014 09:12 |  #60

gjl711 wrote in post #16735903 (external link)
And there lies the issue. For me, high ISO is near useless especially at work where all my photography is product and ISO 100 is as high as I go.

Me too!

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

sponsored links

14,367 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you think Canon will respond to the Nikon D800?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.