Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 27 Feb 2014 (Thursday) 16:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding video with 60d and 7d questions

OldSchool
223 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 27, 2014 16:50 |  #1

Hey guys,

A friend who knows I'm a photographer is looking for someone to shoot video at a wedding. I've done a little playing around with video on my cameras, but to be frank, I know nothing about editing video. Apparently the brides mother just wants it recorded ("nothing fancy") and wants to pay for it. Other than editing, my other concerns are the 12 minute cutoff on these bodies, and the crappy built-in mic sound quality (picks up everything).

So here is what I'm looking for input on:

1. For those that shoot wedding video with dslrs, How do you work around the 12 minute cutoff with 2 bodies?

2. What is good free/inexpensive editing software? I downloaded windows movie maker a while back and never used it...is that worth using?

3. Suggestions for a decent (not outrageously priced) stereo microphone

4. They want to know what I would charge. I haven't agreed to the job yet, and need a fair "friend" price idea to charge if I take the assignment.

Thanks for any and all input!

OldSchool

Gear: 5D3, 6D, 7D, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 50 f/1.2L, 300 f/4L, tons of other zoom and prime lenses, lots of lighting equipment, and enough patience to get the job done right

sponsored links
one2nite
436 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 27, 2014 20:58 |  #2

1. When there's a pause in the ceremony or a long silence I stop recording then immediately continue. I do that so I can ensure it wont hit the limit and cut off if they're talking.

2. Windows movie maker will do the job for something straight forward like this

3. Zoom h1 in the grooms pocket with a little lavalier mic. Or plug the h1 in the church soundboard
zoom h1 99$
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …es&sts=ma&Top+N​av-Search= (external link)
AUDIO TECHNICA ATR-3350 22$
http://www.ebay.ca …_trksid=p3984.m​1423.l2649 (external link)

4. Friend price its tough... your call but atleast 20-30/hr

Canon 6d +70d
Canon 17-40L / Sigma 50mm 1.4 / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Canon 18-135mm / Sigma 50-150 2.8 / Canon 580 EX / Gopro / EOS M

OldSchool
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 28, 2014 01:14 |  #3

one2nite wrote in post #16723076 (external link)
1. When there's a pause in the ceremony or a long silence I stop recording then immediately continue. I do that so I can ensure it wont hit the limit and cut of if they're talking.

3. Zoom h1 in the grooms pocket with a little lavalier mic. Or plug the h1 in the church soundboard
zoom h1 99$
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …es&sts=ma&Top+N​av-Search= (external link)
AUDIO TECHNICA ATR-3350 22$
http://www.ebay.ca …_trksid=p3984.m​1423.l2649 (external link)

4. Friend price its tough... your call but atleast 20-30/hr

Perfect! Thanks so much for the info. The time estimate was even better than a dollar amount... :)

Gear: 5D3, 6D, 7D, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 50 f/1.2L, 300 f/4L, tons of other zoom and prime lenses, lots of lighting equipment, and enough patience to get the job done right

one2nite
436 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Feb 28, 2014 13:03 |  #4

no problem! whens the wedding?

Canon 6d +70d
Canon 17-40L / Sigma 50mm 1.4 / Canon 85mm 1.8 / Canon 18-135mm / Sigma 50-150 2.8 / Canon 580 EX / Gopro / EOS M

OldSchool
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 28, 2014 16:26 |  #5

one2nite wrote in post #16724552 (external link)
no problem! whens the wedding?

2 weeks! Apparently it was a last minute thing. I'm going to play around with the windows movie maker tonight and make sure I'm comfortable stitching (is that the right term for video?) clips together. As long as I can do that I'll probably go ahead and do it for them. Thanks again for the info! :)

OldSchool
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 28, 2014 18:14 |  #6

one2nite wrote in post #16723076 (external link)

Definitely! I recorded a bunch of random clips this afternoon to give the software a try. It is VERY simple, and I figured out how to add a title at the beginning to make it just a tad more professional looking. I think I just might do this job and maybe even like it! LOL :)

one2nite
436 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 01, 2014 00:46 |  #7

Ya for sure go for it! let us know how it goes. I started with movie maker years ago then moved to sony vegas. Same concept but al ot more features

Canon 6d +70d

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 01, 2014 09:25 |  #8

Weddings have a high level of expectation and emotional connection. Mistakes are easy and can bring a very angry response.

DSLR have inherent problems will record time and audio monitoring. It will be very hard to get clear audio especially of the vows without a good mic within 10 feet of the couple with the DSLR on a tripod. This close position often means it will block others and the photographer. The church may have strict rules about the position of photo/video. Using 2 cameras with 2 camera people is the best way to minimize problems.

Its a very good idea to film the rehearsal at the church to handle these issues. There are hundreds of unforseen challenges and this is a big task for a novice. Good Luck.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

OldSchool
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 01, 2014 09:30 |  #9

sspellman wrote in post #16726292 (external link)
Weddings have a high level of expectation and emotional connection. Mistakes are easy and can bring a very angry response.

DSLR have inherent problems will record time and audio monitoring. It will be very hard to get clear audio especially of the vows without a good mic within 10 feet of the couple with the DSLR on a tripod. This close position often means it will block others and the photographer. The church may have strict rules about the position of photo/video. Using 2 cameras with 2 camera people is the best way to minimize problems.

Its a very good idea to film the rehearsal at the church to handle these issues. There are hundreds of unforseen challenges and this is a big task for a novice. God Luck.

I will be making it very clear to the customer that there are possible issues, as well as recommending she find an experienced professional. I will even be giving her the option to cancel with me if she finds a better solution. That being said, I have been wanting to give the video a try for a while...just not under pressure! Thanks for the reply :)

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2014 07:55 |  #10

Install MagicLantern on the bodies, it has a built in auto restart for the recording mode after 12 minutes.

If you only plan on using these two cameras and their built in microphones (even with a shotgun mic). Then there is a very high likelihood that the final video is going to be nearly unbearable for anyone to watch, including the bride and groom.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

OldSchool
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 09, 2014 12:17 |  #11

Kento wrote in post #16735839 (external link)
Install MagicLantern on the bodies, it has a built in auto restart for the recording mode after 12 minutes.

If you only plan on using these two cameras and their built in microphones (even with a shotgun mic). Then there is a very high likelihood that the final video is going to be nearly unbearable for anyone to watch, including the bride and groom.

I agree with you about the sound quality. Fortunately, my full time job said I need to be available for assignments that day so I couldn't do the wedding video anyway. I did order myself a rode videomic go to play around with video on my 60D which will not be getting much love once my 5D mark iii gets here (ordered one Friday). I may have to look into the magi lantern thing you mentioned if I use the video stuff enough. Thanks for the reply

sponsored links

2,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding video with 60d and 7d questions
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.