Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 05 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What lenses should I bring to sedona?

eddie3dfx
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 05, 2014 08:54 |  #1

I'm headed to Phoenix/Sedona in a couple weeks and I have to decide what equipment to bring.. Most of my lenses are manual, which is not a problem for landscapes.

I'm almost thinking a 24-105/6d/b+w polarizer would suffice, but I'm thinking a few closer shots with the 135mm zeiss or even bring the mutar (270mm at f5.6)

Either way, I'm sure I'll get some great shots.... just need to figure out the best vantage points for shooting. (my wife is coming, so that is a disadvantage on time :)

I may just bring all my manual lenses and just leave the nifty fifty at home.
Outdoors, the 24-105 is one hell of a lens.

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
flyinlow007
139 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 05, 2014 09:42 |  #2

I was just there in November, I used my 5DmkIII and the 17-40 lens most of the time. I also had my 70-200 f2.8 with but didn't use it much. Great views there. If you've never been there before, stop at the Ranger station on the way in. They have some guides there that will help show you on a map what you can see in the time you have there, I'm glad we did. Its funny timing with your question, I just got about half a dozen large prints for framing yesterday from WHCC that I took when we were there.

Canon 5DmkIII gripped, Canon 60D gripped
Canon 70-200 f2.8L II IS, Canon 85 f1.8,
Canon 50 f1.8, Canon 18-55 EF-S IS, Tamron 28-75 f2.8,
Canon 100 2.8 macro, Canon 1.4x II, Canon 2.0x II
Canon 580ex II, Sekonic 758-DR

titi_67207
496 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 05, 2014 09:55 |  #3

If I were you, I would take the 24-105L for day shots and one of your f/1.4 lens for narrow dof/low light shots

Canon 5D MkII + Sony A7 + 24x36 & 6x6 B&W film cameras .
CV 15 4.5 III | TS-E 24L II | FE 28 2 | (50+85) 1.4 | 135 2 | 70-200 4.0L | a collection of old Zuikos + FD + Adaptall + AI-s + M42

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,621 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 05, 2014 09:59 as a reply to  @ titi_67207's post |  #4

24-105L + Polarizer + Tripod (even a tabletop or GorillaPod).

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

EL_PIC
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 05, 2014 10:05 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

titi_67207 wrote in post #16736107 (external link)
If I were you, I would take the 24-105L for day shots and one of your f/1.4 lens for narrow dof/low light shots

+1
and bring tripod, monopod, walking stick

EL_PIC - RIT BS Photo '78 - Photomask Engineering Mgr
Canon DSLR - Nikon SLR - Phase One 60MP MFDSLR
http://www.Photo-Image-Creations.com (external link)
http://www.musecube.co​m/el_pic/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/PhotoImageCreations (external link)

eddie3dfx
THREAD ­ STARTER
486 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 05, 2014 10:55 as a reply to  @ EL_PIC's post |  #6

Hmm, I may bring my siriu tripod.

Last time I was there I had the Sigma 24-60 2.8 on a 50d.. It was a good combo, but I felt I needed a tiny bit more length.. the 24-105 will give it about 10mm more in zoom.

Every time I go out there, it's on our day off from work. I'm usually with a bunch of guys and I don't get to drive to every spot for the "shot" .. I've only been on the strip and by the church.
This will be really nice.. I hear there is a nice state park near there with a natural water slide... I definitely want to check that out.

I'll check out the ranger station for the map.

Canon 6D, Canon L 24-105, Zeiss Distagon 28mm 2.8, Planar 50mm 1.4, Planar 85mm 1.4, Sonnar 135mm 2.8 & Zeiss Mutar 2x, Canon 50mm 1.8
http://www.edwinraffph​otography.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,154 views & 0 likes for this thread
What lenses should I bring to sedona?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.