Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Mar 2014 (Wednesday) 18:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Diane Sawyer is wrong!

Gomar
529 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Mar 05, 2014 18:10 |  #1

Diane Sawyer is wrong!

She just said on ABC News that because Bradley Cooper took that
Twitter photo on the Oscars he is the copyright holder. Wrong!

The device belonged to Ellen, not Mr.Cooper; she only asked him to take it as
he was at the right spot and he had long arms. In fact, at first she asked
someone else to take it, but then gave the phone to Mr.Cooper instead.

Now, suppose I go to some spot on vacation, say Grand Canyon, NYC, Vegas,
Paris, or whatever, and I ask someone to take photos of me with _my_ camera.
According to what was said, the stranger owns the shot... and thereby has the
right at anytime in the future to ban me from using it, posting it, showing it, and
even demand I delete it.
Got it.

Thus, say my wife snaps shots of me with me grandpa who passes away 2 months later, then we get divorced, she has the right to demand I delete all shots and trash all the prints?! ok.

sponsored links
Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 05, 2014 18:15 |  #2

From what I've been led to believe, the person who actually pushes the shutter is the legal owner of the copyright.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

KirkS518
Goldmember
3,983 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 05, 2014 18:15 |  #3

Because you own the paintbrush, doesn't mean you own the copyright.

Diane Sawyer is correct in her statement. The person that clicked the shutter, stroked the brush, carved the stone, is the owner of the copyright, not the owner of the materials used (although typically they are one in the same, but not always).

If steroids are illegal for athletes, should PS be illegal for models?
Digital - 50D, 20D IR Conv, 9 Lenses from 8mm to 300mm
Analog - Mamiya RB67 Pro-SD, Canon A-1, Nikon F4S, YashicaMat 124G, Rollei 35S, QL17 GIII, Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 1st Version, and and entire room full of lenses and other stuff

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,335 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Mar 05, 2014 18:20 |  #4

Yep the person that takes the photo owns it .

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,948 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 05, 2014 18:24 as a reply to  @ KirkS518's post |  #5

Diane Sawyer is 1000% correct

Except:p

Im be-tin it was completely staged and the academy awards actually owns the whole Tamale. Unless Bradly Cooper never intends to get one of those little golden statues :lol:

I read it was donated and all proceeds are going to charity.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,499 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 05, 2014 18:41 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #6

Can the pizza delivery guy use his image at the Oscars for advertising purposes? To promote his pizza store (which he owns) ?

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 05, 2014 18:48 |  #7

My understanding of copyright was that the photographer was the owner unless he/she had been commissioned to produce the work by and for someone else. Could there not be an argument that Cooper was 'commissioned' by Ellen to take the photo?

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 05, 2014 18:49 |  #8

Thorrulz wrote in post #16737296 (external link)
From what I've been led to believe, the person who actually pushes the shutter is the legal owner of the copyright.

Depends.

You could see it as "work for hire" but with zero money transfer, when you hand over the camera.

There are always multiple ways to see things, and a court would probably have a hard time to actually decide which view is best matching the current laws.

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

xchangx
507 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 05, 2014 19:33 |  #9

Unless something was signed that assigned copyright to someone else, whoever pushed the shutter owns the copyright.
See the link below. Copyright is credited to Usain Bolt.
http://www.nphotomag.c​om …ikon-and-hes-pretty-good/ (external link)

Nikon D4s / 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 600 f4
Freelance sports photographer for Getty Images Sports, Entertainment and News
Freelance sports photographer for Sports Illustrated
My Images with Getty (external link)
My Sportsshooter Page (external link)
My Website (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 05, 2014 20:27 |  #10

I really have issues with the overly simplistic line of "Whoever pushed the button owns the copyright".

How exactly does one define this 'button'?

I've worked with building custom imaging gear before and could probably build a rather decent medium format camera for commercial sale if I had access to a little more ready capital and the desire to get into that business. If I design my cameras to not have a traditional shutter button, but rather a continuous shutter function that I personally trip myself before shipping them, and then a spring loaded interrupter circuit in place of the traditional shutter release that would pause the continuous shutter...

Would I then own copyright to every single image taken with any of 'my' cameras? After all, you don't press the shutter button, only I know how to do that, and all you do is disable my shutter pause circuit so the camera continues taking photos.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2014 21:09 |  #11

because most of us don't live in a fantasy world.....

whoever takes the photo is the copyright holder.

regardless of whose camera it is, if you take the photo, you own the photo.

Luckless wrote in post #16737589 (external link)
I really have issues with the overly simplistic line of "Whoever pushed the button owns the copyright".

How exactly does one define this 'button'?

I've worked with building custom imaging gear before and could probably build a rather decent medium format camera for commercial sale if I had access to a little more ready capital and the desire to get into that business. If I design my cameras to not have a traditional shutter button, but rather a continuous shutter function that I personally trip myself before shipping them, and then a spring loaded interrupter circuit in place of the traditional shutter release that would pause the continuous shutter...

Would I then own copyright to every single image taken with any of 'my' cameras? After all, you don't press the shutter button, only I know how to do that, and all you do is disable my shutter pause circuit so the camera continues taking photos.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
14,009 posts
Gallery: 149 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2014 01:17 |  #12

Gomar wrote in post #16737287 (external link)
Diane Sawyer is wrong!

No, Diane was not wrong.

Why did you think that Bradley Cooper was not the copyright holder? Was this thought of yours based on actual knowledge of U.S. copyright law, or was it just based on what seems to make sense to you?

It is common knowledge among photographers that the person that is holding the camera and pushes the shutter button is the copyright holder (unless it is produced as a work for hire).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

pwm2
"Sorry for being a noob"
8,626 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 06, 2014 01:38 |  #13

DisrupTer911 wrote in post #16737671 (external link)
because most of us don't live in a fantasy world.....

whoever takes the photo is the copyright holder.

regardless of whose camera it is, if you take the photo, you own the photo.

You are totally forgetting the concept of employed people when you go "whoever takes the photo".

You think a designer at a car company owns the copyright to the new car?

Have you seen the staff photographer at a newspaper free to sell the photos to anyone interested?

5DMk2 + BG-E6 | 40D + BG-E2N | 350D + BG-E3 + RC-1 | Elan 7E | Minolta Dimage 7U | (Gear thread)
10-22 | 16-35/2.8 L II | 20-35 | 24-105 L IS | 28-135 IS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.8 II | 70-200/2.8 L IS | 100/2.8 L IS | 100-400 L IS | Sigma 18-200DC
Speedlite 420EZ | Speedlite 580EX | EF 1.4x II | EF 2x II

seall
561 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Mar 06, 2014 02:11 as a reply to  @ pwm2's post |  #14

If the person asked someone to take the photo and handed them the phone would they be able to claim Co-authorship as they supplied the equipment as well as the idea?

windpig
Chopped liver
14,917 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 06, 2014 06:53 |  #15

I'm with umphoto, l'll bet the acadamy owns the photo, it was their gig and I'll bet they retained all rights to any photos.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

sponsored links

9,394 views & 0 likes for this thread
Diane Sawyer is wrong!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.