Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Mar 2014 (Thursday) 01:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens, Camera or me?

Ghostwheel00
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 06, 2014 01:32 |  #1

I am a hobbyist. For many years I took incredible pictures with a Kodak Z612. Yes, it has a Schneider-Kreuznach lens, and I can adjust almost every setting on it known to DSLRs, but it's mostly a point and shoot. I decided to try a Canon T2i several years back. I only have the two lenses that came with it, an EFS 18-55 IS and an EFS 55-250 IS. I take mostly outdoor landscape shots. Many of the pictures have no depth. They are not always sharp, not like the Kodak pictures. People in the pictures don't pop out from the background. I can't catch a decent bird shot, even with shutter at 1/1000 and aperture at f8. Flowing water pictures don't have that misty quality. Since I know I am capable of taking those kinds of pictures, I'm trying to figure out if it's the lens, and if so what lens (or lenses) should I look into; if it is the camera (am I expecting too much from a consumer grade camera?); or if it is just me and the camera together that don't work. The weight isn't a problem, I know how adjust my settings for the situation, I only use the viewfinder, in burst mode I can usually get one photo that looks decent (out of 10), and sometimes the planets align correctly and I just get a great shot, but I'm not used to burning through 200 pictures to get 20 decent ones.

I know this is way too generic a question, but does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start to figure out what is wrong with my picture taking ability and this camera?

sponsored links
1Tanker
Goldmember
4,470 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Mar 06, 2014 01:47 |  #2

Are you post-processing the pictures from the T2i? That can make or break a photo, shooting digital (as well as with film).

Kel
Gear

Nick_Reading.UK
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 06, 2014 01:53 |  #3

Ghostwheel00 wrote in post #16738053 (external link)
I am a hobbyist. For many years I took incredible pictures with a Kodak Z612. Yes, it has a Schneider-Kreuznach lens, and I can adjust almost every setting on it known to DSLRs, but it's mostly a point and shoot. I decided to try a Canon T2i several years back. I only have the two lenses that came with it, an EFS 18-55 IS and an EFS 55-250 IS. I take mostly outdoor landscape shots. Many of the pictures have no depth. They are not always sharp, not like the Kodak pictures. People in the pictures don't pop out from the background. I can't catch a decent bird shot, even with shutter at 1/1000 and aperture at f8. Flowing water pictures don't have that misty quality. Since I know I am capable of taking those kinds of pictures, I'm trying to figure out if it's the lens, and if so what lens (or lenses) should I look into; if it is the camera (am I expecting too much from a consumer grade camera?); or if it is just me and the camera together that don't work. The weight isn't a problem, I know how adjust my settings for the situation, I only use the viewfinder, in burst mode I can usually get one photo that looks decent (out of 10), and sometimes the planets align correctly and I just get a great shot, but I'm not used to burning through 200 pictures to get 20 decent ones.

I know this is way too generic a question, but does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start to figure out what is wrong with my picture taking ability and this camera?

Not knowing your budget I suggest upgrading to Full frame (Since going FF I hardly touch my 60D which is alittle more advanced than your T2i).. Get the 6D and get a good lens like the 24-70 F4 of F2.8 if there is still money in the bag.. ? otherwise start with a 50mm 1.4

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 06, 2014 01:54 |  #4

There's nothing wrong with your lens or camera. You're not the first person to discover that DSLR's don't work exactly like consumer-grade compact point and shoot cameras.

Among other things, point-and-shoots have a reputation of over sharpening images.

You'll also learn that DSLR images may require more post-processing than point-and-shoot images.

Bird shots may require a longer lens or the ability and patience to stalk your subject until they're in frame-filling range.

Getting "people to pop out from the background" can require anything from a specific aperture to limit depth of field to control of lighting.

A "misty quality" for flowing water images may require a slow shutter speed.

You face several more years' learning how to get the best out of your equipment. With DSLR's technique is more important than equipment, and post-processing can be more important than technique. All this can be learned, but that takes time.

VirtualRain
541 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 06, 2014 01:55 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #5

Post some photos.

Sony a7rII / 24-240 / Zeiss 25, 55, 85

Ghostwheel00
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 06, 2014 01:56 as a reply to  @ 1Tanker's post |  #6

I have done some post processing, and have managed to get some good pictures out of the original raw photos, but I never had to post process any of the old Kodak photos. It just took clear pictures. Sharp around the edges of flowers, soft focus in the background, perfect freeze just as the ATV hits air. I can't get those shots with the T2i, and I don't know why.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 06, 2014 02:03 |  #7

Ghostwheel00 wrote in post #16738075 (external link)
I have done some post processing, and have managed to get some good pictures out of the original raw photos, but I never had to post process any of the old Kodak photos. It just took clear pictures. Sharp around the edges of flowers, soft focus in the background, perfect freeze just as the ATV hits air. I can't get those shots with the T2i, and I don't know why.

http://www.amazon.com …ds=understandin​g+exposure (external link)

Buy this book. Read it. It will answer all your questions.
Also, if you have a UV filter on your lens, take it off. ;)

Beyond that, without seeing an image with full exif in tact it's going to be hard to say what your issues may be.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 06, 2014 02:08 |  #8

Out of curiosity, are you comparing 100% views of the images? I ask because you're comparing a 6.1mp compact with an 18mp APS-C sensor. 6mp are going be a lot more forgiving.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Mar 06, 2014 02:09 |  #9

Had exactly the same problem when i started using a DSLR. I expected the images to blow away the point and shoot cameras. But they simply didnt. I knew what good image quality is since i bought my 135L. Honestly, the 18-55 kit lenses are a real waste for the money IMHO

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,242 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Mar 06, 2014 02:46 as a reply to  @ davidfarina's post |  #10

Please post some photos with EXIF intact. Without these we are just guessing as to the nature of your problem.

Mark

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 06, 2014 02:49 |  #11

People in the pictures don't pop out from the background.

This is a specific case where technique makes all the difference with a DSLR.

Examples:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0316a0764_zps83​4864d8.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: 70-300mm
Image Date: 2012-03-16 12:33:17 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 300.0mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 250
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1174.photobuck​et.com …0316a0294_zps9b​0d74fe.jpg (external link)

Camera Maker: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 60D
Lens: 70-300mm
Image Date: 2012-03-16 12:03:50 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 200.0mm
Aperture: f/5.0
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Long focal length, long distance to subject, long distance to background, largest possible aperture. That leads to a shallow depth of field that isolates subjects from background. The effect is even more pronounced with a faster lens.

Again, DSLR's don't work like point and shoot cameras. The above examples came from equipment that's comparable to your, but it was used in a fashion to isolate subjects from background as much as was possible under the situation available (greater subject isolation would have resulted from a f/2.8 lens).

As already mentioned, with DSLR's, it's not the equipment, it's how the equipment is used.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 06, 2014 03:40 |  #12

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #16738070 (external link)
Not knowing your budget I suggest upgrading to Full frame (Since going FF I hardly touch my 60D which is alittle more advanced than your T2i).. Get the 6D and get a good lens like the 24-70 F4 of F2.8 if there is still money in the bag.. ? otherwise start with a 50mm 1.4

No.

OP is not in need of FF, he is in need of learning how to use his current camera.

Read "Understanding Exposure" as suggested above for a start, and learn to PP. That will make a massive difference in your shots.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 06, 2014 04:19 |  #13

I'm not used to burning through 200 pictures to get 20 decent ones.

Really? I'd be happy with that keeper rate. :D

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sjones
Goldmember
2,224 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 06, 2014 04:29 |  #14

cdifoto wrote in post #16738165 (external link)
Really? I'd be happy with that keeper rate. :D

Yeah, exactly, sounds like a good keeper rate to me.

Sept 2017-July 2018 (external link)
Manual Focus; only for street photography amateurs...
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 06, 2014 04:35 |  #15

Heya,

It's you.

Look at the 18-55 archive thread. People work magic with that lens. It's perfectly capable. And the T2i is perfectly capable.

You simply need to learn to use your tools.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

8,803 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens, Camera or me?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.