Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Mar 2014 (Tuesday) 14:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why fb ruins my photos?

Preeb
Goldmember
2,600 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 05, 2014 22:59 |  #16

ekfaysal wrote in post #16734287 (external link)
i'm always uploading to Flickr and Facebook page and a few on my profile.
it works fine with FlickR but facebook ruined my images.
it softens my photos and the images looks not so neat. they way they look in lightroom/photoshop/Fl​ickr..
i even tried uploading bigger quality images/PNGs for web
they equally ruins them as well.
any spacific size/format that works well with Facebook?

Facebook isn't a place to display photographs, it's designed to show snapshots to your friends. I've always exported from Lightroom at 700px on the long edge for anything that I post on FB. No reason for a higher resolution. If I want to display a better version (like when I post an image here) then I post it on Flickr in a larger size, usually 1024.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 06, 2014 00:24 |  #17

First off, did anyone try my "Full Screen View" method?

Second, I'm not on FaceBook for photography, my years with POTN have taken care of that Internet "need"! I'm also not out to promote myself as a photographer or anything else. FaceBook has been a way of interacting with people, many are people who I have known over the years, others I've just gotten to "know" through our FaceBook interactions. And then, something pretty cool, is that there are people who I've "known" here in POTN, some very respectable photographers, who have also gotten active in FaceBook, and we all have a good time! Actually there is a group dedicating to "cycling" (bicycling that is) that, I believe, was started by someone here in POTN, has been active, and we have a good time!

And then, concerning photography: yeah, I've posted numerous photos that I think my FaceBook Friends might enjoy or maybe even be "touched" by...but, a couple years ago something very cool happened! A handful of us POTN members from this area (the Portland, OR metropolitan area) got together for a meetup in Portland, and we had a good time!

Well, as we reflected on the good photo ops here in the area, the subject of FaceBook came up, with the fact that a good number in our group were members of FaceBook. The idea of starting a FaceBook group for Pacific Northwest Photographers came up, we were agreeable, and we started the group, and you know what, it's been very active over the time, with, gosh, I just checked and there are now 896 members, active photographers who have shared some pretty amazing work! Hey, good things can come out of social networking!

As to issues with FaceBook "owning" some rights to your photos, well, yeah, they are spelled out when you sign on. In fact, if you look at the Terms and Conditions of pretty much any organized networking site as well as online photo contests, guess what you'll find?

Actually, I've never heard a case of FaceBook itself misusing or abusing members' photos, although I haven't delved into things much. But there are instances of sites (typically overseas) who have "misappropriated" the work of some photogs from FaceBook. Yeah, it does happen and if you alert FaceBook they can and do shut the site down. But it does happen.

But then, if you think about it, anything you post on the Web becomes "public", not for commercial use, but still, if I post a nice pic and someone wants to grab it as a desktop or make a nice 4x6 or 5x7 print for their own enjoyment, I don't have a problem with that. If you have a problem with that, then you should just keep your photos away from the Internet!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

ekfaysal
THREAD ­ STARTER
418 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 06, 2014 03:58 |  #18

tonylong wrote in post #16737968 (external link)
First off, did anyone try my "Full Screen View" method?

Second, I'm not on FaceBook for photography, my years with POTN have taken care of that Internet "need"! I'm also not out to promote myself as a photographer or anything else. FaceBook has been a way of interacting with people, many are people who I have known over the years, others I've just gotten to "know" through our FaceBook interactions. And then, something pretty cool, is that there are people who I've "known" here in POTN, some very respectable photographers, who have also gotten active in FaceBook, and we all have a good time! Actually there is a group dedicating to "cycling" (bicycling that is) that, I believe, was started by someone here in POTN, has been active, and we have a good time!

And then, concerning photography: yeah, I've posted numerous photos that I think my FaceBook Friends might enjoy or maybe even be "touched" by...but, a couple years ago something very cool happened! A handful of us POTN members from this area (the Portland, OR metropolitan area) got together for a meetup in Portland, and we had a good time!

Well, as we reflected on the good photo ops here in the area, the subject of FaceBook came up, with the fact that a good number in our group were members of FaceBook. The idea of starting a FaceBook group for Pacific Northwest Photographers came up, we were agreeable, and we started the group, and you know what, it's been very active over the time, with, gosh, I just checked and there are now 896 members, active photographers who have shared some pretty amazing work! Hey, good things can come out of social networking!

As to issues with FaceBook "owning" some rights to your photos, well, yeah, they are spelled out when you sign on. In fact, if you look at the Terms and Conditions of pretty much any organized networking site as well as online photo contests, guess what you'll find?

Actually, I've never heard a case of FaceBook itself misusing or abusing members' photos, although I haven't delved into things much. But there are instances of sites (typically overseas) who have "misappropriated" the work of some photogs from FaceBook. Yeah, it does happen and if you alert FaceBook they can and do shut the site down. But it does happen.

But then, if you think about it, anything you post on the Web becomes "public", not for commercial use, but still, if I post a nice pic and someone wants to grab it as a desktop or make a nice 4x6 or 5x7 print for their own enjoyment, I don't have a problem with that. If you have a problem with that, then you should just keep your photos away from the Internet!

i'm totally agree with you
fb is a social network , n when we are posting at it, we want it to get saturated, we want people to tag it, we want them to share it to get maximum reach, then we shudnt be afraid of those stealer / social media itself. Considering we can watermark it as well.
Plus, for a hobbyist, one just want maximum people to see it. we dont care about them printing 4x6 or something right.

My INSTAGRAM (external link)

Facebook page (external link)

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 06, 2014 05:15 |  #19

Instead of saving as JPG I save as PNG then upload to FB. Wall size 960 x 720. Cover 851 x 315.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,544 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why fb ruins my photos?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.