Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 25 Feb 2014 (Tuesday) 23:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

why 160, 320,640 ISO for video recording

enuff4life
118 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 25, 2014 23:12 |  #1

I've watched philp blooms video, and he mentioned that he always record in 80,160,320,640 ISO.... but WHY?

also for shutter speed set to 50 at 24p, but why double the numer?

sponsored links
thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 25, 2014 23:15 |  #2

Generally ISO 160 is cleaner noise than 100 and 320 is cleaner than 200, etc. Proof: http://petapixel.com …when-shooting-dslr-video/ (external link)

If youre shooting in 24 fps, shutter speed must be 1/50 because it allows the perfect amount of motion blur to give you a cinematic film look. The exposure time is supposed to be half of the frame rate, as with traditional film recording. 1/24 doesnt exist, and turn it up to 1/500 for ex and not only do you lose a ton of light but you'll see that there's NO motion blur and so everything is overly crisp and digital looking (people moving look very choppy and harsh cause of how fast the shutter is recording). If you're shooting 60p for slo-mo, shutter speed must be double (1/125).

These are rules of thumb in digital video, follow them.

For more info, read:
http://www.dvinfo.net …-speed-always-double.html (external link)
http://photography.tut​splus.com …affect-video--photo-12092 (external link)

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 26, 2014 17:34 |  #3

My understanding is the 160 base ISO is using the purest processing through the system. Alternative speeds are 160 boosted or reduced as required. As noted above both versions have the capacity to add noise.

I've not done back to back tests but 160/320/640 gives a fair range so I don't see the point of not using them when, those who know, all say it is the best option.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

RevvdImages
106 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 27, 2014 10:21 as a reply to  @ John Sims's post |  #4

Canon 7D and 5D were tested by a few sources to have the least noise at their native ISOs which were 160, 320 and 640. 1250 doesn't fare as well due to the fact this is considered a "high" ISO for APS-C, plus it seems to be an amplified value and not truly native.

I assume this would mean the 6D and most Rebels hold the same native ISO values as many have the same sensors.

7D / Canon 15-85mm / Canon 70-300mm USM / Canon 50mm 1.8 II / Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro / 430EX II / Macro LED Flash Ring / Rode VideoMic Pro / Zoom H1
Flickr (external link)
My Youtube Comedy Channel (external link)

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2014 08:17 |  #5

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16718068 (external link)
If youre shooting in 24 fps, shutter speed must be 1/50. If you're shooting 60p for slo-mo, shutter speed must be double (1/125).

"must be" is a strong statement, and one of the reasons a lot of people don't progress with video beyond cookie cutter run of the mill videos. When you start to really understand how the shutter speed effects your video rather than just assuming it has a set value, then it opens up a lot of creative opportunities.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 05, 2014 17:01 |  #6

I have been filming professionally for half a decade, I know what im talking about. There's no "creativity" involved with other shutter speeds on Canon DSLRs, we're talking about video not stills. The only other thing I can think of is extremely high shutter speeds for Twixtoring or massive slow-mo, which doesn't really look that good on Canon DSLRs but I guess you can use it. If you shoot video as much as I do you'd know this, but please enlighten me on what creative opportunities other shutter speeds have done for you...

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2014 18:51 |  #7

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16737158 (external link)
I have been filming professionally for half a decade

Time spent doing video doesn't mean a lot in this industry. I know a lot of long running production companies that make terrible videos.

Anyways, Shane Hurlbut, the DP for Act of Valor, the film that was shot almost entirely on Canon DSLR's is quoted saying that he used alternating shutter speeds to customize the look of certain shots in the film that would go against the 180 degree "rule". For example 30fps 1/50 or 1/40 (never 1/60) and he also recommends 60fps 1/100.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 05, 2014 18:57 |  #8

Yeah but thats not really opening a can of creativity as you claim. But I get your point, you can -slightly- customize the sharpness of motion through differentiating those speeds. I wasnt holding a gun to anyones head when I said the speeds "must be" something, OP seems to be new to video so thats why I gave him rules of thumb. Once he understands them he can go off and do whatever the heck he wants after.

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 06, 2014 04:21 |  #9

Kento wrote in post #16737374 (external link)
....look of certain shots in the film that would go against the 180 degree "rule". For example 30fps 1/50 or 1/40 (never 1/60) and he also recommends 60fps 1/100.

So increasing the effect of blur rather than, as some might (and look horrible as a result) reduce blur through higher shutter speeds. More 180 rule but more so.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 06, 2014 06:55 |  #10

John Sims wrote in post #16738166 (external link)
So increasing the effect of blur rather than, as some might (and look horrible as a result) reduce blur through higher shutter speeds. More 180 rule but more so.

I agree, when most of us think high shutter speed we think "ugh, horribly sharp digital look", but when we label it as "horrible" it makes many people assume that it must be BAD to have this look, and to avoid it at all costs!

Let's say im making a short film, and in this film I have in the script that I want some "home movie" footage to play as sort of a flashback for one of the characters developement scenes. I could either A: Find or Buy an actual Handycam for the "horrible" looking digital video, or B: Use a high shutter speed on the 5D that im already using to shoot the entire short film and add grain and color in post to make it look like a Handycam. Creative use of shutter speed ftw.

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 06, 2014 15:08 |  #11

Lol wow...you ooze creativity :lol:

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 06, 2014 16:15 |  #12

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16739424 (external link)
Lol wow...you ooze creativity :lol:

cre·a·tiv·i·ty

the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination

;)

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

StayFrosty
407 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 06, 2014 16:23 |  #13

https://vimeo.com/1587​5333 (external link)

this is an interesting test on vimeo (not mine), I know "rules" is a dirty word but the multiples of 160ISO seems like a good "guideline" to follow if you are at all interested in image quality

flickr (external link) Vimeo (external link)

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 06, 2014 16:24 |  #14

Kento wrote in post #16739604 (external link)
cre·a·tiv·i·ty

the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness, or imagination

;)

Dont give yourself that much credit :p

Kento
Goldmember
1,207 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 06, 2014 16:35 |  #15

thedcmule2 wrote in post #16739629 (external link)
Dont give yourself that much credit :p

I only fit part of that definition; originality, progressiveness, or imagination are definitely up for debate ;)

My Tools
-Jesse
Unknown-Studio.com

sponsored links

2,783 views & 0 likes for this thread
why 160, 320,640 ISO for video recording
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.