Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 07 Mar 2014 (Friday) 10:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there a limitation of using wide angle lens versus tilt-shift?

Aki78
961 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 07, 2014 10:08 |  #1

That is, how much distortion can be corrected post processing? I ask because I've been interested in tilt-shift lenses but how much distortion can be corrected without using a tilt-shift?

Or is it the matter of spending the extra and saving time for say food or architectural photography?

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,243 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 07, 2014 10:16 |  #2

Yes, there are limitations on what you can fix in post. Correcting for the converging lines in a tall builidng for example. If you correct in post it essentially squeezes the bottom of the image to compensate for the narrowing of the top. So now your image is triangular, having less pixels on the bottom than the top. You now have to crop to get back to your normal rectangular frame. Meanwhile the image that you bent is altered and it may or may not show in other elements of the image. If you use a tilt shift you're not altering pixels but correcting the field optically.

There are shots where you can do well correcting in post, but its not really a substitute for a tilt shift for architectural work.

For food and product work the tilt shift becomes essential because you are shifting the plane of focus on an angle, thereby keeping more of the subject from front to back in the depth of field. You cant replicate that easily in post unless you are stacking images.

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 07, 2014 10:37 |  #3

Both food and architecture call for T/S lenses.

GEAR LIST

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 07, 2014 10:57 |  #4

gonzogolf wrote in post #16741176 (external link)
For food and product work the tilt shift becomes essential because you are tilting the plane of focus on an angle, thereby keeping more of the subject from front to back in the depth of field.

Fify. Let's at least keep the nomenclature consistent to keep from confusing people.

To the OP - what's keeping you from experimenting with corrections in post? Just try it. And yes, whether you're correcting with a T/S or in post, there are of course limits. In post, there's the issue of stretching pixels a little thin, as previously mentioned. In both instances, it's possible to "correct" to a point where it just doesn't look right, even if uprights are parallel. Just use your judgement.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

Aki78
THREAD ­ STARTER
961 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 07, 2014 13:17 |  #5

I tried with sample images I took many years ago with Canon 10-22 @ 10mm in downtown Seattle but the distortion seemed very hard to correct if not difficult to achieve the balance. I did noticed the more I corrected the building to look straight, the bottom portion did get pushed down further. That's fiddling around with LR4.

While I do love the wide angle lens but wasn't sure of the exact limitation. I think I got my answer :) Now to start saving money for the tilt shift. Thanks guys!

DieselTech
73 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 07, 2014 15:30 |  #6

gasrocks wrote in post #16741227 (external link)
Both food and architecture call for T/S lenses.

for food, do you recommend the 17mm or the 24mm?

5D mk II, Rokinon 8mm, Rokinon 14mm, 28mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 85mm 1.2L II, 100mm 2.8L, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II

Mornnb
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 07, 2014 15:45 |  #7

How big is your food...

Canon 5D Mark III - Leica M240
EF 16-35mm F/4 IS L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - - EF 17mm TS-E L - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
Voigtlander 15mm III - 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH - 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M FLE - 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH
500px (external link)

WhyFi
Goldmember
2,766 posts
Gallery: 237 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 07, 2014 21:06 |  #8

DieselTech wrote in post #16741824 (external link)
for food, do you recommend the 17mm or the 24mm?

The 90 is one of the best small and medium product lenses out there. Using a 17 or 24 would require you to get really close to your plates/whatever and introduce serious perspective distortion.

Bill is my name - I'm the most wanted man on my island, except I'm not on my island, of course. More's the pity.

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 07, 2014 22:12 |  #9

Aki78 wrote in post #16741549 (external link)
I think I got my answer :) Now to start saving money for the tilt shift. Thanks guys!

I think you do. For instance these two shots were taken from the same location. By using shift I could point the camera parallel with the bridge and make it look like the shot was taken from across the river, which would have been impossible.

I don't know how one would perspective correct the first to the second, I guess it is possible, but it would be quite the stretch on the right.

With landscapes it is usually less obvious, but IMO enough that it is the main reason I got the TS-E.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Adharr
324 posts
Joined Mar 2014

Mar 15, 2014 04:08 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

Yes, get the tilt shift. It's an extremely valuable tool. Correction in software always degrades the image and of course makes the corrected areas look blurry. I don't know why more people don't have tilt shifts. They're awesome.

My Homepage (external link)

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Mar 15, 2014 17:40 |  #11

Adharr wrote in post #16759944 (external link)
Yes, get the tilt shift. It's an extremely valuable tool. Correction in software always degrades the image and of course makes the corrected areas look blurry. I don't know why more people don't have tilt shifts. They're awesome.

I guess because theyre expensive and MF... Was the downside for me too but its quality and usefulness is so awesome well worth the pennies

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 15, 2014 17:47 |  #12

I just picked up my first Tilt-Shift lens (a Canon TS-E 24 II) and even though I'm still earning how to use it, I love it! I wish I would have bought one sooner!

Bryan

My Gear List

vengence
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 15, 2014 19:30 |  #13

davidfarina wrote in post #16761104 (external link)
I guess because theyre expensive and MF... Was the downside for me too but its quality and usefulness is so awesome well worth the pennies

Of your two choices, I think it's pure expensive and very little MF. Tilts are rarely hand held while tilting the focal plane, so the MF isn't a big deal IMHO. The reason I don't own one is simply the cost. I think there are a lot of people who don't understand what they're capable of (it's so much more than parallel lines!).

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,420 posts
Gallery: 217 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Mar 15, 2014 19:39 |  #14

davidfarina wrote in post #16761104 (external link)
I guess because theyre expensive and MF... ...

...and because there are a lot of people who think T/S lenses are just for getting the "fake model/diorama" look. :lol:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Mar 16, 2014 00:35 |  #15

Aki78 wrote in post #16741164 (external link)
That is, how much distortion can be corrected post processing? I ask because I've been interested in tilt-shift lenses but how much distortion can be corrected without using a tilt-shift?

If you are talking about correcting perspective distortion in Post (ie like photoshop) Vs using shift, here is an example:

http://www.dpreview.co​m …ws/canon_24_3p5​_tse_c10/5 (external link)
see section 5 applications: perspective corrections
this example discusses the limitations of doing it in post. It is simply much more effective to do the correction during capture: better resolution, better framing, no cropping.

I use TSE lenses quite often and usually combine tilt and shift. One cannot replicate the extended dof that tilt provides with software in post.
Mike K

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

sponsored links

2,458 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is there a limitation of using wide angle lens versus tilt-shift?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.