Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Mar 2014 (Friday) 11:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to find B/W full frame digital camera

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,197 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 07, 2014 14:40 |  #16

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16741713 (external link)
I think it's mostly because they take a long time to rewrite each image, FPS is abysmal for most if not all of them, it also has the added negative effect of lowering battery life. That said, I've viewed a lot if landscape photos from them and they're nothing short of jaw dropping. I've been considering picking up. Merrill DP for a while now.

Is there a particular camera model that stands out amongst the others? I assume Sigma is the only one using this sensor type?

Would be nice if Canon actually did something similar.
http://www.dpreview.co​m …-style-multi-layer-sensor (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 07, 2014 14:44 |  #17

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16741721 (external link)
Is there a particular camera model that stands out amongst the others? I assume Sigma is the only one using this sensor type?

Would be nice if Canon actually did something similar.
http://www.dpreview.co​m …-style-multi-layer-sensor (external link)

I'm honestly not sure. If I were to buy one I'd get one of the small fixed lens ones since I'd only be using it for tripod landscape work (which I barely ever do). They can be bought for much less than a good landscape lens and based on what I've seen, could offer you more if you're patient.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 07, 2014 14:47 |  #18

If Sigma comes out with a Foveon FF mirrorless like the Sony a7 series, they'd be selling a LOT more than trying to push their own mount...

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,197 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 07, 2014 14:54 |  #19

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #16741732 (external link)
I'm honestly not sure. If I were to buy one I'd get one of the small fixed lens ones since I'd only be using it for tripod landscape work (which I barely ever do). They can be bought for much less than a good landscape lens and based on what I've seen, could offer you more if you're patient.

I found this an interesting read, and was a bit disappointed with the camera's high ISO performance. If Sigma could button up a few issues, like price and software, it would be a compelling purchase. Of course this is a few years old now, and I will continue to look for other articles more recent.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …as/sigma_sd1_re​view.shtml (external link)

DP2 is here: http://www.stevehuffph​oto.com …ity-but-slow-and-squeaky/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

roy416
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 07, 2014 14:56 |  #20

AJSJones wrote in post #16741387 (external link)
Here (external link) you go.
70MP FF format, 3.1µm pixels, with or without microlenses, no AA filter etc,available as monochrome. So far it's a Nikon mount and some programming may be required:D No idea on price...

The 35mm camera itself cost 14K without capture card and lens. Leica M9 seems a bargain.

Canon 6D, EF 24-105mm F4 L, EF 40mm F2.8 STM, EF 100mm F2.8

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 07, 2014 14:56 |  #21

TeamSpeed wrote in post #16741748 (external link)
I found this an interesting read, and was a bit disappointed with the camera's high ISO performance. If Sigma could button up a few issues, like price and software, it would be a compelling purchase.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com …as/sigma_sd1_re​view.shtml (external link)

Yeah, that's why they don't sell well, they're a very specialized series of cameras. They excel at low ISO tripod work and nlare borderline useless for everything else. Still, landscapes from them are awesome.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,173 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 07, 2014 16:16 |  #22

Phase One IQ260 Achromatic.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,593 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 07, 2014 16:34 |  #23

ΟP is it the Bayer filter that you are trying to avoid or something else?

There is a new Sigma with a Foveon sensor but all of them have come down in price.

SD1 = $2299, SD15=989, DP1/2/3=$999

The new Quattro is coming up but no price.

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

indefinite_pronoun
117 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Mar 07, 2014 18:48 |  #24

roy416 wrote in post #16741336 (external link)
Hi guys, I am looking for a camera with full size CCD/CMOS sensor but without embedding RGB microfilters. It will be applied for scientific research.

However, I only found this type of camera with tiny sensor in the market. I need high resolution for my research purpose, full size (35mm) is the minimum, prefer high IR sensitive. Large sensor is even better.

You don't say what kind of research you are doing, but for high-quality scientific imaging, there are several companies you can look at: Princeton Instruments, Apogee, Andor, PCO, and some others. Their cameras tend to be designed for low read noise and dark current (often by including thermoelectric coolers), high quantum efficiency and high dynamic range. Most will be monochrome, with color filters sometimes available as an add-on. Most come with F-mount standard, but sometimes there are other options.

Since you want good IR sensitivity, you could look at this from Princeton Instruments (warning: PDF data sheet)
http://www.princetonin​struments.com …elon_rev_N5_8.2​1.2012.pdf (external link)
with up to 95% quantum efficiency in the near infrared. (Note that the trick that is typically used to reach these high QEs, backside illumination, can lead to etalon patterns in the near infrared, and the sensors must be specifically engineered to avoid this.) If you want to image at wavelengths above 1 micron or so, you will want to look at InGaAs sensors.

AJSJones
Goldmember
2,647 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2001

Mar 07, 2014 20:29 |  #25

roy416 wrote in post #16741753 (external link)
The 35mm camera itself cost 14K without capture card and lens. Leica M9 seems a bargain.

Niche market = niche price:D

My picture galleries (external link)

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,173 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Mar 07, 2014 21:08 |  #26

Seriously, what the OP is describing is the Phase One iXA system.

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

roy416
THREAD ­ STARTER
224 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 07, 2014 22:46 |  #27

indefinite_pronoun wrote in post #16742185 (external link)
You don't say what kind of research you are doing, but for high-quality scientific imaging, there are several companies you can look at: Princeton Instruments, Apogee, Andor, PCO, and some others. Their cameras tend to be designed for low read noise and dark current (often by including thermoelectric coolers), high quantum efficiency and high dynamic range. Most will be monochrome, with color filters sometimes available as an add-on. Most come with F-mount standard, but sometimes there are other options.

Since you want good IR sensitivity, you could look at this from Princeton Instruments (warning: PDF data sheet)
http://www.princetonin​struments.com …elon_rev_N5_8.2​1.2012.pdf (external link)
with up to 95% quantum efficiency in the near infrared. (Note that the trick that is typically used to reach these high QEs, backside illumination, can lead to etalon patterns in the near infrared, and the sensors must be specifically engineered to avoid this.) If you want to image at wavelengths above 1 micron or so, you will want to look at InGaAs sensors.

I'm checking.

Canon 6D, EF 24-105mm F4 L, EF 40mm F2.8 STM, EF 100mm F2.8

gtrag94
273 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Mar 07, 2014 22:59 |  #28

I'm surprised it took that long to say it. Chris hit the nail on the head. If 35mm is the smallest size, absolutely, then you're really in the market for the Phase One. If you truly need high resolution, B&W only, then you'll have to spend some bucks... that's not an everyday camera. As you acknowledge, it's a scientific instrument.

Fort Wayne, IN Portrait & Wedding Photographer
http://www.craigagapie​photography.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/CraigAgapiePhotograp​hy (external link)

Kolor-Pikker
Goldmember
2,790 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Mar 08, 2014 03:42 |  #29

gtrag94 wrote in post #16742571 (external link)
I'm surprised it took that long to say it. Chris hit the nail on the head. If 35mm is the smallest size, absolutely, then you're really in the market for the Phase One. If you truly need high resolution, B&W only, then you'll have to spend some bucks... that's not an everyday camera. As you acknowledge, it's a scientific instrument.

OP mentioned the Leica Mono cost "8 grands" and then went on to say that the machine camera at 14k made the Leica look like a bargain... it doesn't take a lot of guess work to determine that he wants something that's cheaper, not even more expensive.
I hang around on medium format forums, so I've seen a bunch of terrifyingly detailed images from the IQ160 acro, but a $30k back + $6k or more for the camera and lens makes the previous options look like a drop in the bucket. Also, no live view.

5DmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | Pentax 645Z | 55/2.8 SDM | 120/4 Macro | 150/2.8 IF
I acquired an expensive camera so I can hang out in forums, annoy wedding photographers during formals and look down on P&S users... all the while telling people it's the photographer, not the camera.

sponsored links

2,298 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to find B/W full frame digital camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.