Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Mar 2014 (Friday) 08:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5DmkIII vs 6D

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Mar 07, 2014 18:07 |  #16

Personally I wouldn't buy a 5d3 or a 6d just to have it when a 70d is still well past my skill level. Spending the money just because is what you want to do, and that's your prerogative.

A 5d3 will be the more advanced option, with more features than the 6d. Learning camera settings, composition, exposure, etc, are what you'll have to learn before you can expect the quality of your work to get better...and none of those have anything to do with the body you're using. You could buy a 1dx and your photos won't look any better than those from a T3i if you don't know how to use anything but the green box mode or how to compose your shots.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sponsored links
ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 07, 2014 22:36 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #17

Agree. I was going to say 5DIII, but if you can afford one and don't know why it would be worth the extra grand+ then I would advise waiting.

Or by a used 7D (or rent one), try it and it you like it a LOT more than your 70D, consider the 5DIII. If you don't think you'll use all the AF features of a 7D, then the 5DIII is overkill.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

OuttaCtrl
381 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 07, 2014 23:35 |  #18

I've owned the 6D and now have a 5DIII. Quick breakdown.

6D = IQ, Landscape and Portrait.
5D III = IQ, Sports oriented

Period. Done. Everybody go home. :p

Cameras: 5D III Gripped | 1D MK 3 | 70D
Lens: 18-135 STM | 24-70 L MKII | 70-200 L IS MKII
PC: i7-3930K | 32GB Kingston Hyper-X | nVidia Quadro 4000 | Asus P9X79 Pro | 27" Samsung SA monitor | 34" LG 34UM95-P | Spyder 4 Elite

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Mar 08, 2014 00:39 as a reply to  @ OuttaCtrl's post |  #19

Unless your investments did brilliantly.
Retirement means you dont want to make mistakes, you have to get it right.

As you do a bit of everything the ultimate all rounder had got to be the 5DIII.
Its very good at sports, and portraits.
I appreciate having loads of Accurate AF points even in Portrait work. I also value the hyper sensitive AF points.

IQ is excellent. OK technically some say the 6D is marginally better, what by a wisker.

Retirement also may mean you will want your investment to last and be reliable.
I feel the build quality of the 5DIII may avoid costly repairs, may last longer.
More importantly it avoids the - oh I wish I had got x - but now cant really justify - selling y .
Get it right first time! Or at least dont have buyers "often unjustified remorse".

The other factor is one has to recognise Canon is a long way behind Sony in sensor technology, so far it makes me feel it may be 2 absolute minimum maybe 4 years befor they come back with something competitive. So this purchase will have to last you some time.
I suspect the 5 will sustain you better for a long period, may hold its value better???
But you will definitely be happier holding on to a 5 build quality for say 4 years, than a 6.

So my advice is get the 5 as you can afford it. But compromise by selling the 70D to help fund the differential.

My advice is a little flawed - on one count - as if you "up your game" and start getting paid work, you are rinning a risk not having a backup body.
Eg today had a 6 hour paid shoot , stopped for a break, recomensed only to find no AF, no AF illuminated points. Shutter would not work! OMG. OMG!!!!!
NB it was a 90 mile drive there, and 90 back ( nb UK petrol prices and a 5 litre car)
Plus the major embarrassment, of letting someone down.
Plus the model has a chance of becoming famous ( can not say how or why for confidentiality reasons ) so part of the deal was my right to sell the images as well.
So if this screwed up I could miss out on a lot! Potentially £000's. I very much doubt if she would have given me a 2nd chance!
Morally would I have to pay her for her time!
Trust me its a nightmare. What only 7 months old and 10,400 clicks on. With a Shutter rated at what 150,000!!! :(:(

Total relief ! I was in Portrait mode and had forgotten to switch on the grip power!!!
But is scared me.

But I would still sell the 70d to fund the 5D3 purchase. Maybe Ill do some research and find the same sensor as a 7D and buy the cheapest 2nd hand one I can just as a backup.
Also thinking about the Sony AR7 and a converter.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

curlydog
143 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 08, 2014 05:32 as a reply to  @ Submariner's post |  #20

"- he states that the crop body makes his lenses longer, and that is what confused people, the crop sensor doesn't make lenses longer"

Uggghh this one drives me insane!

Canon 50D / Canon 6D
-Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Canon 24-105mm L Sigma EF 500 DG Super Photoshop CC Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM Alien Bees 2-ab400 2-ab800 http://photos.curlydog​.com (external link) Just a Guy With a Camera Shooting His Daughter and Her Friends Dancing

LFingar
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 08, 2014 06:35 |  #21

Thank You everybody for your input! While I have no intention of ever going pro I do intend to upgrade to a FF at some point. While I am an amateur I am not entirely clueless about photography. Been dabbling in it since the '60's but with retirement looming I know I want to put a lot more effort into it. I wanted user reactions to the 2 cameras because I have received conflicting advice from 2 professional sources that I respect. A number of you have given me some good points to consider and I appreciate that. Thanks again.

Canon 70D, EF 35mm f/1.4L, EF 17-40mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/4L, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L, EF-S 60mm f/2.8, Speedlite 430EX II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,998 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 08, 2014 09:03 |  #22

LFingar wrote in post #16742982 (external link)
Thank You everybody for your input! While I have no intention of ever going pro I do intend to upgrade to a FF at some point. While I am an amateur I am not entirely clueless about photography. Been dabbling in it since the '60's but with retirement looming I know I want to put a lot more effort into it. I wanted user reactions to the 2 cameras because I have received conflicting advice from 2 professional sources that I respect. A number of you have given me some good points to consider and I appreciate that. Thanks again.

I have found through the years that the professionals are really good for talking about what they currently use and how they came to that conclusion. They know what works for them for what they shoot, and will recommend it wholeheartedly, with some passing comments about things they don't own.

I have found passionate avid hobbyists actually seem to know more across the board (more breadth, less depth), and can provide more well-rounded answers, especially if they have tried many different models and brands in their gear acquisition journeys.

It is also good to temper professional findings with those from the avid hobbyists. :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

3,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
5DmkIII vs 6D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.