Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Mar 2014 (Friday) 20:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

rented a 5d mrk 3 and LR will not recognize the files

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 07, 2014 20:13 |  #1

As the title states. I have rented a 5d mrk 3 to try out this weekend at a dance comp . I took a few shots around the house, plugged the camera into my computer and lightroom 3.5 will not recognize the RAW files. If I switch to JPEG lightroom will recognize and download them. I want to shoot the dance comp in RAW. Any ideas why the RAW files are not recognized? Any settings in LR I need to change?

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 07, 2014 20:23 |  #2

You would either need to update your Lightroom, convert the Raw files to the DNG format, or you could use the Canon Raw processor Digital Photo Professional (DPP) to process and convert the Raw files.

Just so you understand, companies like Canon and Nikon "revise" their Raw format for new cameras that are released. This means that external Raw processors (such as the Adobe Camera Raw found in Lightroom and Photoshop) have to be updated. If the version of Camera Raw is "current" then an update will include newer cameras. But for older versions of Camera Raw, you don't get perpetual upgrades every time new camera bodies come out. So, to process the 5D3 CR2 files using Camera Raw/Lightroom/Photosho​p, you need a more up-to-date version of your software (I believe that LR4 will handle them, although you'd want to get the latest upgrade).

But, like I said, you can handle them and at no cost by using the up-to-date Adobe DNG converter or by using the Canon DPP software!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,351 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Mar 07, 2014 21:29 |  #3

What Tony said.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

flashpoint99
THREAD ­ STARTER
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 08, 2014 00:19 |  #4

Thanks guys

Sorarse
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 08, 2014 05:05 |  #5

You need ACR version 6.7 or later for Adobe products to recognise raw files from the 5DIII. I have no idea if ACR 6.7 is compatible with LR 3.5; I know that it isn't available for CS4.

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

http://www.scarecrowim​ages.com (external link)
Canon PowerShot G2

watt100
Cream of the Crop
14,021 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 08, 2014 18:43 |  #6

Sorarse wrote in post #16742879 (external link)
You need ACR version 6.7 or later for Adobe products to recognise raw files from the 5DIII. I have no idea if ACR 6.7 is compatible with LR 3.5; I know that it isn't available for CS4.

Adobe's not so subtle strategy to get you to upgrade

Craign
Goldmember
1,196 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 08, 2014 18:58 |  #7

watt100 wrote in post #16744221 (external link)

Upgrade the program which for me requires an upgraded operating system which might as well be a computer upgrade.

I might never buy an Adobe product again. That is a not so subtle message to Adobe.

Canon 7D Mark II w/Canon BG-E16 Battery Grip; Canon EOS 50D w/Canon Battery Grip; Canon SL1; Tokina 12mm - 24mm f/4 PRO DX II; Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS; Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS; Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS; Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM; Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS; Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM; Canon Extender EF 1.4x II; Canon Extender EF 2x II; Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash
Image Editing Okay

thedcmule2
Goldmember
1,125 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 08, 2014 19:27 |  #8

ACR is not compatible with LR, it is LR without the GUI and fancy options.

Also, the ACR upgrade is free folks...

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,855 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 08, 2014 20:43 |  #9

watt100 wrote in post #16744221 (external link)

Craign wrote in post #16744257 (external link)
Upgrade the program which for me requires an upgraded operating system which might as well be a computer upgrade.

I might never buy an Adobe product again. That is a not so subtle message to Adobe.

If Adobe wanted to force anything they wouldn't offer the DNG converter for free. Plus, like Tony said - DPP is always an option.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

flickserve
835 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2014 21:22 |  #10

Craign wrote in post #16744257 (external link)

Which is what I did. My computer, at 6 years old, was due for an upgrade as opening files and processing them had a lot of lagging (RAW files).

Admittedly, I did want to play with video files as well.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 11, 2014 22:53 |  #11

I built my photo processing workstation back in '07...Windows Vista was new and didn't have a good reputation, so I settled with XP. Lightroom had come out and I had upgraded to Photoshop CS3.

I bought a 32-bit processor and installed 4GB of RAM and was quite happy with my setup. In fact, since I still use the older cameras from back then, well, I could still get by, except I figured I'd make the leap to the new 64-bit Windows 7, put in a new quad-core CPU, increase the RAM, and go with the Lightroom upgrade which was only good for a 64-bit OS.

Fortunately, when I bought the pieces for my workstation, I specifically bought a mother board that could be upgraded from the original dual-core CPU to a quad-core CPU, could handle the 64-bit OS upgrade, and that could handle a RAM increase. It has plenty of hard drive space. So, for a few hundred dollars I was able to make the leaps, rather than needing to shell out the bucks for a whole new system.

I'm presently using PS CS5 and Lightroom 4, not the newest versions, my budget is lately really tight, so I'm glad I had the foresight to plan ahead with my system! For people who want to delve into good camera gear and into the "digital darkroom", well, there are costs, don't buy the spendy camera and then go "cheap" on the processing gear!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

1,903 views & 0 likes for this thread
rented a 5d mrk 3 and LR will not recognize the files
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.